Discussion Official 2021 Fantasy Planning Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not AF related, but if WC were after a KPD to be a stopper, Kyle Hartigan was their guy to go after last year as a FA, much better and proven AFL defender, not like Daw. He was never going to cost much and didn't need a long contract either.

I'd have thought he would jump at the chance to play for the Weagles (contenders) ahead of the Hawks, although JS wouldn't have been great. I think he also wanted to go back to Victoria.

OK, scrap that idea.

Hartigan is serviceable. Nothing fantastic, and nothing near 2018 Majak Daw, but of course Daw isn't 2018 Daw either.

I'd still have been slightly more tempted by Daw given he has shown that higher ceiling, with no long term contract or even a senior list position required to secure him, being big draws for me.

Hartigan I suspect liked Hawthorn not only for the home state factor, but having a solid two year contract (I wouldn't want to offer him more than one honestly, but I'd be very conservative with contract durations - with clubs regularly irresponsible with the length and as a separate aside timing of what contracts are offered) and stronger job security are the drawcards in his situation and why he signed with Hawthorn.

Hartigan is serviceable. Nothing fantastic, and nothing near 2018 Majak Daw, but of course Daw isn't 2018 Daw either.

I'd still have been slightly more tempted by Daw given he has shown that higher ceiling, with no long term contract or even a senior list position required to secure him, being big draws for me.

Hartigan I suspect liked Hawthorn not only for the home state factor, but having a solid two year contract (I wouldn't want to offer him more than one honestly, but I'd be very conservative with contract durations - with clubs regularly irresponsible with the length and as a separate aside timing of what contracts are offered) and stronger job security are the drawcards in his situation and why he signed with Hawthorn.
I think we rate Daw very differently.

I think we rate Daw very differently.

I could well be suckered into Daw's 2018 season, which was among the best of the key defenders in the competition, but put more broadly, I also value every senior list position like gold.

At the same time though, I value rookie list positions high enough to not want anyone on a contract where I'd ever be in a position to delist someone and have to rookie list them, when really I want them gone and to take a chance on someone else who may have better best 22 chances (future or immediate).

Is Edwards ready or showing particularly radical preseason signs of progression? Without him playing any WAFL in 2020 it's hard to gauge. But watching him in 2019 he felt like another couple of years away from being a year away, or in other words needing substantial time.

Through the ruck I'd be utilising Bailey Williams this year as that mostly forward who gives Nic Nat a breather in the ruck. I think he's the guy to allow Allen to be a permanent forward (as he needs to become). He feels to me at least like a pretty clear answer, having competency in both positions and just needing more senior games to come good.
Yeah you're right on Edwards I think.

Bailey Williams is definitely that guy. The worry Eagles have is it makes our forward line far too tall with him and all 3 of Kennedy, Darling & Allen. Waterman also becomes a conundrum. Allen has to play. Not sure where that leaves us

Knightmare
I have Dylan Stephens (Syd) in my side and really want to keep him there. Any insight into how you see him progressing into Sydney's midfield & elite status?

With JPK, Parker, Heeney, Mills, Florent, Rowbottom, Blakey etc all locked into or eyeing off midfield minutes, there is a bit of a squeeze but each year I try to pick a couple of unique options (Stephens ownership is 0.32%) and I like this pick but might be a year early in fantasy relevance.

I've gone the Big O option, who you didn't include.

My concern with Draper is his body. I think he'll play and score well, but I think on a few of the shorter turnarounds he'll be rested. He was heavily rested last year, I don't think the short turnaround between seasons and limited training last year gets him to be a full, 22 week ruck option.
Big O. Knew I was forgetting one.

Fair point on Draper and that's certainly his biggest risk. It does feel like everyone is pinning their hopes on Preuss this year as that second ruck and can just as easily see him being dropped for a cooked Mummy after a couple poor showings. Lot's of ways these rucks can go, fingers crossed we choose the right one

Big O. Knew I was forgetting one.

Fair point on Draper and that's certainly his biggest risk. It does feel like everyone is pinning their hopes on Preuss this year as that second ruck and can just as easily see him being dropped for a cooked Mummy after a couple poor showings. Lot's of ways these rucks can go, fingers crossed we choose the right one

agreed. If we know TheRednWhite ‘s option, we can safely rule that out now !!

Risk on Preuss is his tank, not sure he can solo ruck...

Yeah you're right on Edwards I think.

Bailey Williams is definitely that guy. The worry Eagles have is it makes our forward line far too tall with him and all 3 of Kennedy, Darling & Allen. Waterman also becomes a conundrum. Allen has to play. Not sure where that leaves us

Unless eg. an Allen moves to defence, it's going to mean a number of trades will be made - and opportunity for rival clubs ultimately if they're deemed good enough.

Kennedy is on his last legs. Is this year his last? Next year?

I think it's going to be hard for Waterman and Allen up front to get games.

If I'm a rival club and Williams doesn't become a regular this year, I'd be making offers, albeit I wouldn't empty the bank to get him as that would be in the scenario he isn't a regular. But playing bargain hunters, if I can get him as a still speculative developing player without spending the world, I'd use a list spot on him.

Knightmare
I have Dylan Stephens (Syd) in my side and really want to keep him there. Any insight into how you see him progressing into Sydney's midfield & elite status?

With JPK, Parker, Heeney, Mills, Florent, Rowbottom, Blakey etc all locked into or eyeing off midfield minutes, there is a bit of a squeeze but each year I try to pick a couple of unique options (Stephens ownership is 0.32%) and I like this pick but might be a year early in fantasy relevance.

If you have Dylan Stephens in a keepers team I can see that as reasonable, as he should have a long and reasonable to good career. I don't spend my time following preseason reports or following a lot of the media (I just watch games - u18/AFL/state leagues), but he's someone I'd say for this year can make an incremental improvement, but I'm not expecting this year by any means to be his 'breakout' year, and in a fantasy context I'd say for this year it's searching with too much optimism, particularly given he's only listed as a midfielder. He may never transition to become an inside mid as more an outside mid for AFL purposes, and particularly in a Sydney context. Maybe I'm being conservative, but I think his scoring will be around the 75 mark this year, with somewhere around 100 where I see his season average ceiling being roughly for fantasy, at his absolute peak. I'll be watching all, or if not all, then certainly as many preseason games as I can, so happy to give an update on my thoughts/projections for him as we head into the season if you tag me.

I'm not picking Stephens as a breakout player until his performances really scream it.

Around that price range for this year, assuming you're talking fantasy classic, Rowell is a more obvious choice, and if you want someone Stephens priced or cheaper, Hately is a better option as someone who can really rack it up and given he was recruited by Adelaide to play through the midfield (didn't attend any centre bounces for GWS) he should boost his scoring by something like 15-20ppg, to outscore Stephens at a cheaper price point.

I might suggest a few 'uniques' in an upcoming YouTube video if I get the sense there is demand for me to produce some fantasy football content, though my general suggestion would be to focus from a unique perspective more-so on those you're ruling out who others won't have, to create a point of difference, rather than taking a flyer on someone who probably won't score or generate the kind of cash you want. With so many good frankly under-priced premium mids $700k+ and enough good rookie priced mids, I won't be having more than one mid in the $300k-$600k range this year for fantasy.

agreed. If we know TheRednWhite ‘s option, we can safely rule that out now !!

Risk on Preuss is his tank, not sure he can solo ruck...
Just following the masses... Grundy and Preuss for me. Trying to play a very straight bat this year to avoid embarrassment

Just following the masses... Grundy and Preuss for me. Trying to play a very straight bat this year to avoid embarrassment

excellent.gif

RO'B and the Big O here, so I'm safe !!!! :p

Mods ban any future Kyle Hartigan talk thanks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmm looking at the Traders list of top fantasy option from each team i can sorta feel like they are just plain wrong on some teams

E.g as much as i love Rocky he wouldn't be my first picked Port player nor would Cripps for Carlton
They’re very generic. Very rarely go against the grain or talk up POD’s. They will tell you that someone like Gaff isn’t a good starting option despite him going three years at 110 at being durable as hell

They’re very generic. Very rarely go against the grain or talk up POD’s. They will tell you that someone like Gaff isn’t a good starting option despite him going three years at 110 at being durable as hell
I think for most in here they probably won’t get much info from the traders they don’t already know. Most around here tend to be advanced enough to know how to play and get the info they need.

The traders are great for growing the game and making it a lot more beginner friendly.

think the other side of it is they acknowledge pods but will often avoid them because this is a job for them, would be a bad look if they were to just balloon out terribly like I did last year in the rankings.

My main reason for listening to them these days is the entertainment aspect, always fun on a Monday night/Tuesday morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back