Review Official Carlton EF review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Damn, not many (if any) positives to take out of today except that guys got to experince finals footy. Were smashed across the park, especially in the mid-field. Our entry into the 50 was rushed and woeful (credit to carlton for their pressure) and I don't know what was going on in our backline but it was laughable. Not one bomber defenfer seemed to be able to read the drop of the ball correctly and it was far too easy for the Blues forwards to get loose.

There should be hard looks at a few players over this offseason, I'm just not sure who's ready to come into the senior team to make it more competitive.

The positive I guess is that we made the finals, next goal is to actually win one....

**EDIT** - Love the Homer quote to start this thread. Gotta go, my damned weiner kids are listening...

I'd say one positive is that Brent Stanton is a ****ing gun. This guy just gets better and better. He really stood up and tried all game despite the scoreboard. Will be a force to be reckoned with next year.

Bad luck guys.

VERY good point. Carlton players were able to make it to multiple contests and leave there man 10-20m behind, especially into their forward line. We have to be faster and faster for longer. Being able to produce in spurts is great if you're a pr0n star, not so great if you're an AFL team. Having said that, not sure which I'd rather be known as....

Our midfield options is very few and far between, and the options available are (mostly) young, even guys like Hocking (23) and Howlett (22) are still 'young'.

We were simply run off our feet, think it showed that guys like Reimers, Jetta, Myers arent able to be a midfield rotation, whilst guys like Carrazo, Armfield, Ellard, Joseph, Simpson, hell, even Andrew Walker picked up 20 possessions running through the middle at times.

FFS Phone, NLM was average, but so were most others. If he goes then so should Welsh and Mcveigh and Hille. Annoys me that people single him out (including the guy behind me today who I reminded that NLM set up our first goal). Jetta was by far our worst. But he is young and is still learning.

Yeah pretty much. Not on Hille, but Lovett-Murray and Welsh should be going at seasons end with McVeigh the year after (due to his contract). Lovett-Murray shouldn't've been playing as much as he did in the midfield, but obviously they wanted a big guy there. And he's a big guy. Next year hopefully Zaka and co are big enough.

Jetta meanwhile wasn't even the worst small forward for us.

As i have said before we need forwards that can kick goals regularly .
The loose man in defence would have been good but it hardly was used today .Carlton are quicker than us.
Some of the Bombers were intimidated .
Our rucks started off great but faded when Hille was hit in the head by Laidler.( 1st qrt )
To mark a ball its best to be in front ( hint hint ).
If you cant mark at least put in a contest to make them know you are there and they wont get anything EASY ( which happened today ) .
Having a full strength team would help .
Make our tackles stick instead of letting the opposition get away .
The players have to be harder and quicker at the ball in the middle bounces and around the ground at stoppages.
Dont drop your head ( brain ) if something goes wrong.
Good luck for next year .
Keep out of trouble .

Davey :thumbsu: didn't lay a tackle between his tackle in the first when we were up and about halfway through the 3rd quarter. :thumbsdown:

While being typically useless with the ball/trying to get the ball.

wog:

davey
hardingham
jetta

Fair to say these 3 shared this title today..
3.Hardingham
2.Jetta. (should have had 2 shots at goal, why pass????)
1.Davey..

hmm, well that was a great afternoon! :rolleyes:

I want to watch a replay, but there were a few key areas which got me today.

We put in an absolute howler - but I think some are getting a little over the top in some areas.

1. I thought the real thing that killed us was ball use and decision making, especially in key moments. We absolutely brought out our best ball butchering skills from a couple years back which gave us no chance today. I chringe thinking about how many times we took the wrong option or missed a target, often not by a metre but 10 plus, or kicked to the wrong side of contests.

In this area, we simply showed up for our worst effort in years. I dont know if you can put it down to the mental pressure of a final, but we were diabolical. Even good kicks like Zaka were running at 30% at one stage.

2. We actually got a bit of the ball - clearances were pretty much even all day and we lost that count by 1 overall. I thought Hocking especially but our mids generally stood up and worked hard in the clearances - all this with Hille really letting Ryder and the team down today. We were not smashed in the clearances, in fact broke even and that is a lot better than many expected.

They only had 5 more inside 50's, but we would have had 10x more inside 50 butcherings which led to us being out positions and killed in the rebound - made us look extremely slow and second rate.

We went inside 50 57 times - and gave our forwards absolutely no service at all all day. We hung them out to dry.

3. We lost the game in the 2nd - a quarter in which we gave up a plethora of very poor goals. 3 times coast to coast after easy misses (thats a potential 6 goal turnaround right there) in the first half - horrible turnovers and decision making which made me laugh more than cry. Myers summed our day up in that 2nd - got it on half back, could roost it to half forward, instead goes to a horrible contested situation back and across goal...puts all sorts of pressure on us and we give up a goal.

4. I think we are struggling against certain teams, like Carlton and actually Richmond/Melbourne rings a bell, when we are up against faster teams with little genuine forward marking options - we probably press up and off them too much. Today just summed it up - if we lost a kick in contest and they were out - it impossible for us as it broke open too easily.

We probably should look to balance our game plan with a more St kilda even Hawthorn (against Carlton) style of getting numbers back against them - not pushing up OFF of guys like Betts/Garlett/Walker etc.

I was closely watching spike and hardingham and whoever else near Betts/Garlett, and frankly, we gave them too much room. Yes, I know we have the ball - but on a rebound you cant give 20-30m to guys who would burn you off in seconds. We just didnt apply a genuine lockdown job we should have I think.

Space is oxygen to their forwardline, and we just gave them hectares. We should have clogged it more and made them look for that contest. Gave up the easy kick up the ground, but kept numbers back, then look to rebound against them and find a more open forwardline for ourselves.

But, we are probably working on a style for x years time, not right now.

Our midfield will get better, in a key area stepped up today, but the flip side of the coin was horrendous ball use which just killed us time and time again.

It may sound like sour grapes, but we made a team look a lot better than they should have out there.

Davey :thumbsu: didn't lay a tackle between his tackle in the first when we were up and about halfway through the 3rd quarter. :thumbsdown:

While being typically useless with the ball/trying to get the ball.

wog:

davey
hardingham
jetta

Jetta was clearly our worst. Hardingham was quite good and at least Davey applied some pressure.

Jetta was clearly our worst. Hardingham was quite good and at least Davey applied some pressure.

HQbNl.gif

I have a huge wrap for Hardingham but he was awful today, and really has been since the 2nd Carlton match. He hit the wall.

Jetta applied as much pressure as Davey did...not much at all. And nothing in the 2nd quarter. Helped by said blocking by the Carlton defenders and awful kicking by us. And not helped by Jetta seemingly being our 2nd target up forward for that quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hmm, well that was a great afternoon! :rolleyes:

I want to watch a replay, but there were a few key areas which got me today.

We put in an absolute howler - but I think some are getting a little over the top in some areas.

1. I thought the real thing that killed us was ball use and decision making, especially in key moments. We absolutely brought out our best ball butchering skills from a couple years back which gave us no chance today. I chringe thinking about how many times we took the wrong option or missed a target, often not by a metre but 10 plus, or kicked to the wrong side of contests.

In this area, we simply showed up for our worst effort in years. I dont know if you can put it down to the mental pressure of a final, but we were diabolical. Even good kicks like Zaka were running at 30% at one stage.

2. We actually got a bit of the ball - clearances were pretty much even all day and we lost that count by 1 overall. I thought Hocking especially but our mids generally stood up and worked hard in the clearances - all this with Hille really letting Ryder and the team down today. We were not smashed in the clearances, in fact broke even and that is a lot better than many expected.

They only had 5 more inside 50's, but we would have had 10x more inside 50 butcherings which led to us being out positions and killed in the rebound - made us look extremely slow and second rate.

We went inside 50 57 times - and gave our forwards absolutely no service at all all day. We hung them out to dry.

3. We lost the game in the 2nd - a quarter in which we gave up a plethora of very poor goals. 3 times coast to coast after easy misses (thats a potential 6 goal turnaround right there) in the first half - horrible turnovers and decision making which made me laugh more than cry. Myers summed our day up in that 2nd - got it on half back, could roost it to half forward, instead goes to a horrible contested situation back and across goal...puts all sorts of pressure on us and we give up a goal.

4. I think we are struggling against certain teams, like Carlton and actually Richmond/Melbourne rings a bell, when we are up against faster teams with little genuine forward marking options - we probably press up and off them too much. Today just summed it up - if we lost a kick in contest and they were out - it impossible for us as it broke open too easily.

We probably should look to balance our game plan with a more St kilda even Hawthorn (against Carlton) style of getting numbers back against them - not pushing up OFF of guys like Betts/Garlett/Walker etc.

I was closely watching spike and hardingham and whoever else near Betts/Garlett, and frankly, we gave them too much room. Yes, I know we have the ball - but on a rebound you cant give 20-30m to guys who would burn you off in seconds. We just didnt apply a genuine lockdown job we should have I think.

Space is oxygen to their forwardline, and we just gave them hectares. We should have clogged it more and made them look for that contest. Gave up the easy kick up the ground, but kept numbers back, then look to rebound against them and find a more open forwardline for ourselves.

But, we are probably working on a style for x years time, not right now.

Our midfield will get better, in a key area stepped up today, but the flip side of the coin was horrendous ball use which just killed us time and time again.

It may sound like sour grapes, but we made a team look a lot better than they should have out there.

:thumbsu: Top post!

I totally agreed with Myers too often making poor choices and I think we are thinking of the same play but Flect kicking in from the punt rd end went short to Myers then he went short

Sure enough we turned the ball over and I think they scored a goal out of it

our general disposal was poor and guys like Spike and Hillie and a few others at times seemed slow to react and one thing I noticed right from the start when they got the ball our guys didn't tackle them hard to put players on their backsides

I was impressed by Hocking great job on Judd and Stants after a slow start was our best player over half time

I think today several players like Jetta and Jaka and Myers and a few others just slipped back into old habits which is what tends to happen when you feel the pressure

Very disappointing for today we beat ourselves whilst right from the start you could see the Blues wanted it

well I didnt see too many games live this year but of the ones I did, that was easily the worst

not much too say except that for other than 15 minutes that was a horrible horrible effort:thumbsdown: did they all go out & get on the piss last night or what??

bring on a mini cleanout & 2012

Hardingham was the worst, but (unfortunately) not by far as there were other guys that were bad. It annoys me how the boys were playing lazy footy. Tackles did not stick, could'nt kick, were slow, can't play when introduced to things like wind and rain which they don't get exposed to at Etihad. Allowed Carlton too much space. What I found annoying was the fact that the Essendon defenders were chasing the likes of Betts, Garlett and Walker in front of goal. How many goals did Carlton "scrape" in? Could see Walker's uncontested mark in front of goal coming.

Some of them were jogging when Carlton had the ball. Lacked heart today and although Carlton are a good team, they shouldn't roll over like that. Made primary school mistakes and our intensity and skills were not AFL standard, let alone top 8 standard.

Poor delivery inside 50s really hurt us. Our tendencies to go missing for at least one quarter a game (and as much as 3 quarters) needs to be worked on. Teams put us away in 1 quarter (Melbourne, Carlton, Collingwood, Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond, Freo, North and pretty much all our losses).

Now on to the good side... Stanton was good. Monfries was great. Hurley's presence is great. Really the only positives out of the game. Season is a success, but still average. Unfortunately played like we had nothing to lose and Carlton played like they had everything to gain.

Need to aim for a finals win next year. Maybe if they get pressured, they might perform.

Jetta pisses me off - has no heart and rarely has a go. He's soft - and I don't like saying that about one of my own. He's a needed player but things need addressing upstairs. He has all the talent in the world and has really dropped off after a good start to the year.

He's really disappointed me of late. :thumbsdown:

Haven't see the game but not really surprised at the score.

We've played 9 games at the G this year and conceded 100+ points in 7 of them. The two we didn't were the first Carlton game and the game against the battling Tiges.

4 of our last 5 we've conceded about 140 points.

We can't cover the big grounds with the cattle we have. We don't have the fitness and we are missing one or two gut runners.

Until we fix our fitness department and bring guys up to the speed of sustained AFL footy and draft some more guys that can run then we'll get found out on the big occasions.

Haven't see the game but not really surprised at the score.

We've played 9 games at the G this year and conceded 100+ points in 7 of them. The two we didn't were the first Carlton game and the game against the battling Tiges.

4 of our last 5 we've conceded about 140 points.

We can't cover the big grounds with the cattle we have. We don't have the fitness and we are missing one or two gut runners.

Until we fix our fitness department and bring guys up to the speed of sustained AFL footy and draft some more guys that can run then we'll get found out on the big occasions.

Spot on. You've pretty much saved yourself the trouble of watching the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Official Carlton EF review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back