Official List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Cutting another senior player would give us an extra pick in the draft. But it would be pick 92. Is #92 going to make a difference to the quality of our list?

The only thing that will help our list is getting AFL games into Walker, Dangerfield, Otten, Kite and Petrenko and let them develop. Just as Porplyzia, Knights, Van Berlo and Maric took that next step in their individual develop after playing 15 – 20 games.

We are in a transition phase with our development at the moment but if we don’t play these kids, this transition phase will continue for the next 10 year if we take the slowly, slowly approach.

Neil Craig doesn’t want to bottom out and that very commendable but he has to have the confidence in playing them and allow them to develop, ala Essendon in 1993 with the baby Bombers.

So draft pick #92 probably wont have any influence at all but making sure Walker, Dangerfield and Otten get 22 AFL game next year is and having so many senior guys around will limit this from happening.

That's a different point. I guess aggressive list management is more about playing the youngsters rather than having 8 draft picks. Time will tell whether NC will give them all more game time next year. The challenge seems to be getting the balance right. As has been said a hundered times, who do you drop?

That's a different point. I guess aggressive list management is more about playing the youngsters rather than having 8 draft picks. Time will tell whether NC will give them all more game time next year. The challenge seems to be getting the balance right. As has been said a hundered times, who do you drop?

i'd take an extreemly aggresive approach.

drop massie, shirley, gill and maybe stevens if sellar plays ok

Looks like Massie might be gone anyway.

OK re the others but who is your tagger, your CHF and your back pocket Bassett replacement?

Tagger - i'd actually look at obtaining Beau Waters from WC to get some hard ass in the club. Save for that, i'd have MacKay learn some trade there. Curnow has the fitness but dont want him either. Doughty can. VB can. Patty D can do some as well if he works on his tank.

CHF (said no stevo if sellar comes along, i wouldnt delist him) so sellar, hentschel walker and tippett can share to KPF loads

Bassett replacement = Symes/Kite

Cutting another senior player would give us an extra pick in the draft. But it would be pick 92. Is #92 going to make a difference to the quality of our list?

Thats why we need to trade some players for picks in the 20-30 mark. We then dont have to use picks such as 92.

It's higher than a rookie pick, and no doubt higher/better than our last pick in the next two years when all the old guys + those who don't cut it are gone.

Channel 10 are saying that Gallman will survive, as will all of the aged big 3 (Macca, Edwards and Goody)
Surely not.

I was under the impression that at least one of them will have to move on.

Where are the tough decisions?

That all said, I think the real hard decisions will come after the trade & draft when we know how many players we have.

We only have to delist down to 35 before the draft, right? And we can axe more after.

Surely not.

I was under the impression that at least one of them will have to move on.

Where are the tough decisions?

That all said, I think the real hard decisions will come after the trade & draft when we know how many players we have.

We only have to delist down to 35 before the draft, right? And we can axe more after.
We have to be down to 35 senior listed players (not including outside veterans) by the first list lodgement date - Friday October 31st. This list lodgement includes rookie promotions, scholarship upgrades, retained rookies and international scholarships (not sure what those are - I assume this includes international rookies).

There's also a second list lodgement date on Friday 14th November. I assume this is for players who are coming out of contract, but whom the clubs really didn't want to part with. This list lodgement would be the one which determines how many draft picks we get to use.

The draft occurs on Sat Nov 29th.

The final list lodgement occurs on Wed Dec 3rd, including TPP estimates. Not sure what else has to be in this list, though international rookies and scholarship players going onto the rookie lists have to be nominated the day before.

The PSD & RD are conducted on Tues Dec 16th.

We have to be down to 35 senior listed players (not including outside veterans) by the first list lodgement date - Friday October 31st. This list lodgement includes rookie promotions, scholarship upgrades, retained rookies and international scholarships (not sure what those are - I assume this includes international rookies).

There's also a second list lodgement date on Friday 14th November. I assume this is for players who are coming out of contract, but whom the clubs really didn't want to part with. This list lodgement would be the one which determines how many draft picks we get to use.

The draft occurs on Sat Nov 29th.

The final list lodgement occurs on Wed Dec 3rd, including TPP estimates. Not sure what else has to be in this list, though international rookies and scholarship players going onto the rookie lists have to be nominated the day before.

The PSD & RD are conducted on Tues Dec 16th.

Ok so 35 ...

Right now we (probably) certainly have: Moran, Tippett, Thompson, Griffin, Van Berlo, Edwards, Jacky, Doughty, Shirley, Walker, Mackay, Symes, Vince, Johncock, Dangerfield, Maric, Knights, Otten, Mcleod, Burton, Rutten, Douglas, Stevens, Kite, Sellar, Reilly, Gallman, Goodwin, Hentshel, Armstrong, Cook, Porplyzia, Petrenko, Bock.

That's 34 not counting Gill, Massie, Bassett, McGregor, Jericho, Campbell, Biglands.

So you'd assue only one of Gill and Massie are making the cut from that logic?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok so 35 ...

Right now we (probably) certainly have: Moran, Tippett, Thompson, Griffin, Van Berlo, Edwards, Jacky, Doughty, Shirley, Walker, Mackay, Symes, Vince, Johncock, Dangerfield, Maric, Knights, Otten, Mcleod, Burton, Rutten, Douglas, Stevens, Kite, Sellar, Reilly, Gallman, Goodwin, Hentshel, Armstrong, Cook, Porplyzia, Petrenko, Bock.

That's 34 not counting Gill, Massie, Bassett, McGregor, Jericho, Campbell, Biglands.

We will have a better idea after trade week as well.

You hold onto fringe players hoping someone will pay for them, then delist Friday at 2.01pm

Ok so 35 ...

Goodwin & McLeod are outside veterans, so they don't count towards the 35.

With Bassett, Biglands and McGregor retired we're down to 35.
With Petrenko upgraded we're back up to 36.

Take the maths wherever you like from that point onwards.

Ok so 35 ...

Yes, it would seem Massie is dead man walking at present with the retention of all the other older guys. Gill less likely to go at this stage.

I really hope Massie can find another AFL team. I believe he is certainly good enough to continue in the AFL for 2-3 years. Personally, i would not have delisted him but given the other decisions have been made, he should go or we just wont have enough picks.

I agree with you, and hope that Griffin is the one to go as long as we get a decent pick/s. If both go, it places huge responsibility on Rendell to not screw it up but it may just be worth the risk now that Mackay and Vince have stepped up. To get decent picks you have to give up value unfortunately.

If it stays as 5 picks (yes, Massie is gone i think), then that's disappointing.

Having said all that, i still believe the club has made a big mistake retaining so many senior players. A '2/3' strength draft in 09, followed by the Gold Coast draft in '10 and a likely similar draft for the 18th team in 2011. If things go poorly with form/injury/natural deterioration we may be offloading McLeod, Goodwin, Edwards, Burton, Doughty, Shirley in a real hurry, along with the doubts over Hentschel, Gill, Sellar, Gallman, Armstrong on whether they will even make it long term. We have rolled the dice keeping all the old blokes, it could turn pear-shaped in the next couple years with too many picks in weaker drafts. I would have liked at least 1, if not 2, of the aforementioned older blokes gone, but the club has gone conservatively. Time will tell.

Why is that a problem?....we can then have a team of Shirleys.....good honest triers......and finish around the 8th every year :D

However, on the serious side, thats a good post and a good summary of where we are at right now. I am happy to defer judgement on the (so far) lack of aggressive list management until after trade week where i hope that we will pursue 2 picks under 30 by trading Griffin or whoever.
Nevertheless, whatever happens, it appears that we are going to retain 1 too many senior players on our list as explained by LeftFist above.

I would be pissed off if we retain all those blokes and delist Armstrong.

Even Gallman, i havent seen him enough to offer a proper opinion - but on the face of it he has managed to play SANFL at full back (where he obviously is not going to appear on best player lists), this would have helped his development of defensive skills so perhaps despite what Drummond thinks, he may be suited to a run-with/tagger role. I have wondered if Moss is a similar player to Gallman but with more upside (Moss), in which case i could understand him(Gallman) being delisted.

Probably not, but if we are going to be aggressive it does give us 2 things:

(i) we can draft a bottom-aged speculative pick (a la Kite last year) - and i cant see whats wrong with doing that - look at last year apart from Kite there was Zaharakis for example whom many of us would have liked to see drafted (of course we could bomb out completely but i think its a good stage to take an educated risk) - after all, if clubs are going to use more draft picks this year then the rookie list is going to be very low calibre

(ii) more importantly, IMO, it will create more game opportunities for the younger players

Just about everybody seem to be happy with our picks from last year. That was in a 'BAD' year.
So, why are people so pessimistic about getting some more good picks in next year's.
Just remember that if you delist all the veterans this year, you will have to delist some of the good ones you are getting this year, next year. Unless you just keep players for 2-3 seasons only so the list can be "refreshed"?

Just about everybody seem to be happy with our picks from last year. That was in a 'BAD' year.
So, why are people so pessimistic about getting some more good picks in next year's.
Just remember that if you delist all the veterans this year, you will have to delist some of the good ones you are getting this year, next year. Unless you just keep players for 2-3 seasons only so the list can be "refreshed"?

Who is pessimistic about getting more good picks?

The beauty of having "too many" good young players is that we have more depth, more competition for places & actually will have decent trade bait which we could spare in order to try to attract a big-name player in the future or upgrade our draft order picks in any future year.

I take your point about having to delist some good ones but i'ld rather be in that position than not have the surplus good ones (plus see my points above).

Ok so 35 ...

Looking more and more like Massie will be the one to be cut out of that duo.

On Ch 9 tonight it was reported that Gill is expected to sign his 1 year contract this week.

The only players that appear to be uncontracted at this stage are Jericho, Campbell, Massie and Gallman, with the first 3 looking almost certainties to join Biglands, Bassett and McGregor in the departures.

I didnt see much of the GF and Ive seen little of him this year, but from what I saw today Moss looks the goods. Top kick, poise and not a bad height. Could see him settling into HBF for us one day. Is he likely to be retained?

Looking more and more like Massie will be the one to be cut out of that duo.

On Ch 9 tonight it was reported that Gill is expected to sign his 1 year contract this week.

The only players that appear to be uncontracted at this stage are Jericho, Campbell, Massie and Gallman, with the first 3 looking almost certainties to join Biglands, Bassett and McGregor in the departures.
I still think Gallman will be delisted, Channel 10 could well be wrong.

I didnt see much of the GF and Ive seen little of him this year, but from what I saw today Moss looks the goods. Top kick, poise and not a bad height. Could see him settling into HBF for us one day. Is he likely to be retained?
Mossy will be retained and I really like the looks of him. About 188cm and well built for an 18 year old too. He can play in the midfield and in defence and he had a solid game today. As was the case in the SF, he didn’t play at all in the first term but when he came on he did well. Had a nice patch in the third term when he took a few marks, had a nice interception and dished off a handball. He’s quick enough, has a lovely kick and has superb hands. For a teenager to make the Dogs GF, especially when you consider their depth, is a fine achievement and I doubt he’s going to be cut. He’ll re-rookied at the very least.

And actually, the club is going to have some tough decisions on the rookies. Petrenko has been upgraded, which leaves Curnow, Moss and Martin. Moss should be retained. I’ve heard whispers that the club is happy with Martin and they will retain him. And that was before his best afield performance today. Curnow has improved, but I’m afraid with 2 rookies already being retained he might find himself in trouble.

And actually, the club is going to have some tough decisions on the rookies. Petrenko has been upgraded, which leaves Curnow, Moss and Martin. Moss should be retained. I’ve heard whispers that the club is happy with Martin and they will retain him. And that was before his best afield performance today. Curnow has improved, but I’m afraid with 2 rookies already being retained he might find himself in trouble.

From memory aren't we allowed 6 rookie listed players next year?

If so and Petrenko is upgraded we could end up retaining all three and still have three rookie picks.

Having said that, my opinion on rookies is to piss them off if you can't ever see them having the potential to play AFL football. Curnow and Martin look like they'll make sensational VFL/SANFL players to me but their ceilings at AFL level seem more like the Hadyn Skipworth's of the world. I haven't seen enough of Moss to comment knowledgably.

So if I were in charge armed with the knowledge that this is a super draft (doesn't every second year seem to be one these days:rolleyes: Not to mention we seem to do better in the shite drafts to an extent!) I'd be tempted to retain Moss and have 5 rookie picks.

Agree Moss is a GEM :thumbsu: and will only get better with a full pre-season under his belt

As Drummond mentioned, the other positive is that Moss has a strong build for an 18yr old and will get stronger very quickly

IMO Moss is a must to retain and with the Birdman on the long term injury list there is certainly incentive for Moss to have a big pre-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Official List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back