Official List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong have two young SA boys who are borderline for Geelongs best 22 in Gamble and Varcoe. both are forwards and could both turn out to be brilliant players. Gamble has a strong lead and a big leap and knows how to slot a goal, while Varcoe has showed some great form lately too. I liked the look of him today in the QF. Word has it Varcoe wanted to renegotiate his contract at the start of the season and Geelong said wait til the season is over, then when he hit form mid-season Geelong come to the table (on his original offer) but Varcoe refused and told them to wait. a few commentators both SA and Vic have wondered whether there is a place for all of Geelong's forwards and expect one or two to move on to other clubs. What do people think of these prospects? i doubt richmond would be giving up their young SA forwards after the improvement they showed this year.

Also i think we need a midfielder in the mould of Luke Hodge. someone who is hard at it and can deliver the ball with precision. as good as Thompson can be, he burns the ball a fair bit, and VB and kinghts also burn it a little too much. Dont get me wrong, they are very important players and definitely keepers but other than Rielly i dont think we have a (younger) midfielder who can deliver it precisely enough. Not sure how Dangerfield is on this?

I believe if we can possibly grab a Varcoe or Gamble, and develop the likes of Tippett, Sellar (yes, we should keep him), and Moran our forward line could be pretty potent. already have Porplyzia, Douglas and possibly Vince as the small forwards and Stevens as a bit of a utility (with Moran). With Decent delivery in my opinion this would work quite well.

Not sure where the midfielder is going to come from though! any ideas?

I strongly believe The Crows need some mongrel and toughness. Neil Craig has too many atheletes in his team and not enough genuine footballers with nouse and determination to match.ITS TIME TO CHANGE NEIL!!
Who are some names that fit the bill?
Where are Shannon Hurn and Beau Waters at for starters?

Re: The definitive 2008 player cull.

Goodwin was on Channel 9 news tonight stating we didnt need to recruit any high profile players and the improvement will come from development within and trading. Great we can hope to move up to 6th next year.

The way he was talking you would expect him to play on next year unless he was given the tap.

He actually said that he was looking forward to playing next year.

He said that he'd been carrying an adductor strain in the past month or so, and that he was looking forward to the break and time to recover and then right into the next pre-season.

He actually said that he was looking forward to playing next year.

He said that he'd been carrying an adductor strain in the past month or so, and that he was looking forward to the break and time to recover and then right into the next pre-season.

Interesting, sounds like the Big/Old 3 will be suiting up again next year.

Then again, on Monday Porps said he was ready to play!

I think people need to think outside the square when it comes to Sellar. Sure he was a first round selection; sure he was once touted as a possible #1 overall selection, but really what does any of that matter? Look at Meesen, and this hurts, but just because he was a first round selection if we still had him would people still want to hold onto him just because he was a first round pick? I doubt it, because people would have come to the realisation that some people are not cut out for the AFL.

Now I’m not suggesting that Sellar is one of these players, and he is will young and could turn out to be the best player taken from the 2006 draft for all I know. However, the club might have already made up their mind one way or the other. Let’s face it, what has he done in 3 years? In his draft year he had a ripper debut in which brought more attention upon him and more hype came his way. After that he struggled big time at league level, probably not surprising given that he was 17. But he then suffered an illness, struggled at reserves level and struggled in the U/18 Championships. He was then drafted, and during his two years at the Crows he has barely played a good game for Glenelg. He kicked 4 on debut and since then he has never kicked more than 2 goals in a game, and he is averaging roughly a goal a game. He’s been dropped back to the reserves in both years, and in his second year he still hasn’t gone forward as a player despite making his AFL debut.

Everyone needs to show signs that they have the tools to be an AFL player. Does Sellar? He’s tall, can take a mark and has a nice kicking style, but what else is there? His mobility is absolutely horrendous and his movement has seemingly never recovered after he suffered OP. He is being groomed as a key forward and yet he sorely lacks any natural forward instincts. Whenever he happens to make Glenelg’s league side it is only ever as a back-up ruckman, a position where he finds a lot more comfortable. He was a first round selection, one that was seen as the savior to our forward line woes. 2 years down the track and we’re still as confused about what we have on our hands as we were when we drafted him. He has shown no signs, excluding bad ones of course.

Just to make my point clear, he might have been a first round selection and he might still only be a teenager but if the guy is no good then he’s no good, and no amount of time will change that. Lets just remember that he did slip down to us at the 14th selection, there had to be a reason. I know you could go on forever about the guys who slid down come draft day and have gone on to become superstars but Sellar was VERY highly rated only a few months before draft day and yet come draft day he was the 10th KPP selected. He has his flaws, quite big ones it would appear, and just because he’s a first round selection doesn’t mean time will mean he comes good. People have a defensive mechanism when it comes to first round selections, meaning that they so desperately want them to come good and expect them to come good that they’re prepared to give them all the time in the world and make all the excuses under the sun for them. Sometimes, no amount of time will make a player come good. The same may be the case for Sellar, time will tell.

What do people think of chasing Jarrad Rivers? Would be a very nice replacement for Bassett.

Tim Boyle is an interesting one as he can't crack into the Hawks forwardline. I remember him having a bit of class last year, where is he now though?

Michael Newton is another forward who has been delisted. Can actually take a grab but from what i've seen he is very inconsistant.

And if we are looking for a classy middfielder i'd be trying to snag Nick Dal Santo.

What do people think of chasing Jarrad Rivers? Would be a very nice replacement for Bassett.

Already have replacements for Bassett why chase another player of the same ilk???

Tim Boyle is an interesting one as he can't crack into the Hawks forwardline. I remember him having a bit of class last year, where is he now though?

I think there are CLEAR reasons why he cant crack it in the Hawks forwardline

Rivers - its amazing how many average or injury prone or underachiveing players we suddenly need to draft. We either draft top tier talent or nothing. The only time you draft roll type players (Torney, Stevens etc )is when you are in or nearing your premiership window, and thats not us.

Rivers - its amazing how many average or injury prone or underachiveing players we suddenly need to draft. We either draft top tier talent or nothing. The only time you draft roll type players (Torney, Stevens etc )is when you are in or nearing your premiership window, and thats not us.

Good post.

IMO we should be going after lost of youth, get ready for a couple of bad years, go after players who have a lot of talen and aren't getting a go or go after picks.

Goodwin was on Channel 9 news tonight stating we didnt need to recruit any high profile players and the improvement will come from development within and trading. Great we can hope to move up to 6th next year.

The way he was talking you would expect him to play on next year unless he was given the tap.

John Reid also said something similar on 5AA a few minutes ago. He explained that Adelaide has a great nucleus of players and that the club does not need to be aggressive with its list management. He indicated that whilst other clubs may be forced to make as many as 6 changes or more, Adelaide will not need to do that but concentrate on developing its current squad.

In response to a question from Cornes about Neil Craig's contract extension, Reid assured him that "Adelaide is very happy with the direction Neil Craig is taking the club and playing list and the Crows will never ever sack Neil Craig".

John Reid was just on 5AA and the question of how many delistments there would be this year was fired at him.

He tried to avoid it originally but ended up after a heap of waffle by suggesting that it won't be 10, and then plumped for 6.

I'd say it will be 6, by the way he said it.

With Petrenko almost certain to be elevated permanently to the senior list, that means 7 delistmnts or retirees.

If the big 3 all play again next year, then it really does become a guessing game as to who the 7 will be.

Biglands (retired)
Bassett (retired)
Campbell
Gallman
Jericho
McGregor

appear to be 6 very likely candiddates.

No real idea who the 7th will be but forced to have a guess, I'll say Armstrong, as IMO we'll still need the infamous trio of Shirley, Doughty and Massie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Petrenko almost certain to be elevated permanently to the senior list, that means 7 delistmnts or retirees.

If the big 3 all play again next year, then it really does become a guessing game as to who the 7 will be.

Biglands (retired)
Bassett (retired)
Campbell
Gallman
Jericho
McGregor

appear to be 6 very likely candiddates.

No real idea who the 7th will be but forced to have a guess, I'll say Armstrong, as IMO we'll still need the infamous trio of Shirley, Doughty and Massie.

If that is the infamous 7 player delisted this season – where do you see improvement coming from next year?

Nathan Bassett is the only player on that list who played in Saturday’s elimination final and by adding Jason Porplyzia, Brent Reilly and Brett Burton (who is not going to be available until round 17 or 18) that would be our best 22. If we do not take a hard line with delisting we will be in big trouble as we will once again finish around the 6th, 7th or 8th mark and it will be another wasted season.

Where will improve come from?

Steven Trigg on Channel 9 news..

Edwards, Goodwin and Mcleod will all be playing next year.

Stated the club was open-minded to trading, but would prefer to develop forwards from within.

Was asked about Sellar and Gills future. He stated that it would be unfair to comment on individuals at this stage until a final decision is made. This completely contradicts his comments a week or 2 back stating that Hentschel would be staying on the list. This tells me that atleast one of them is in trouble.

Interesting, sounds like the Big/Old 3 will be suiting up again next year.
Then again, on Monday Porps said he was ready to play!
channel ten news:
Goodwin and McLeod are definitely playing on next year. Edwards is reviewing his contract offer and is yet to decide, but the club want him to play on...he could pull a Bassett and decide to retire because he feels it's the right time, but he has had a lot less trouble with injuries than the rest, so i'm assuming he will accept the contract and play on. vB's contract ends next year, but there's already talks to extend his contract. same with Maric. good to hear...would love to sign vB on a longer term contract...as he could very well be our future captain after Goody, who probably only has a year left in him.

names mentioned that are likely to get the cut...the obvious ones (Jericho, McGregor, Campbell, Gallman)...also mentioned Gill, who has yet to be offered a contract, but i'd say he's still 50/50. out of the names, McGregor was the only one they mentioned as a possible trade...while the rest will probably get delisted. Massie is also yet to be offered a contract, so more likely to get the cut. while i think Shirley and Doughty will be offered extensions, or maybe their contracts don't end this year, either way, i think those two will be retained.

Stated the club was open-minded to trading, but would prefer to develop forwards from within.

Was asked about Sellar and Gills future. He stated that it would be unfair to comment on individuals at this stage until a final decision is made. This completely contradicts his comments a week or 2 back stating that Hentschel would be staying on the list. This tells me that at least one of them is in trouble.
that would be Gill.

Yes Gill tries hard works hard etc. But disposal is terrible 95% of the time, we will not play in a premiership and if he cant be traded he should be delisted

Was asked about Sellar and Gills future. He stated that it would be unfair to comment on individuals at this stage until a final decision is made. This completely contradicts his comments a week or 2 back stating that Hentschel would be staying on the list. This tells me that atleast one of them is in trouble.
He was asked about trading for a key forward and he said that we are open to it but we would develop our own and is confident that Tippett, Moran, Walker and even Sellar will come good. He specifically said even Sellar.

He was the asked about Sellar, McGregor and Gill and went on talking about not discussing it until after trade week. This leads me to believe that Sellar is safe while McGregor and Gill are GAWN!

He was asked about trading for a key forward and he said that we are open to it but we would develop our own and is confident that Tippett, Moran, Walker and even Sellar will come good. He specifically said even Sellar.

He was the asked about Sellar, McGregor and Gill and went on talking about not discussing it until after trade week. This leads me to believe that Sellar is safe while McGregor and Gill are GAWN!

Isn't it interesting that there are so many varied versions and interpretations of the same media piece :confused::p:p

Anyone interested in Andrew Lovett? 25 years old, has elite speed and good disposal. Has a history of off-field indiscretions and is prone to inconsistency. This has been his best year to date and he is averaging about 18 possessions per game. Breaks the lines and would add that speed and flair that Adelaide desperately needs.

Anyone interested in Andrew Lovett? 25 years old, has elite speed and good disposal. Has a history of off-field indiscretions and is prone to inconsistency. This has been his best year to date and he is averaging about 18 possessions per game. Breaks the lines and would add that speed and flair that Adelaide desperately needs.

We drafted for pace last years national draft ......think we have Lovetts base well and truly covered

Problem is whilst he has pace .....mismatches in AFL can lead to his smaller body actually being a liability

IMO I think we will try and use Sellar as a sweetner if we can pull off the right trade. He must be retained otherwise with patience....

IMO I think we will try and use Sellar as a sweetner if we can pull off the right trade. He must be retained otherwise with patience....

Now your just plain making things up

Remove this Banner Ad

Official List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back