Game Day Official preview/GDT - Semi-Final Geelong vs NMFC - MCG, Friday 7:50pm (Out: Jacobs / In: Harvey)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
By then (if we make it) we'd have absolutely nothing to lose and go into it knowing that we've beaten them there on their own patch already this season (even though they weren't at their best that day :rolleyes:).

Pretty confident this friday of a good showing at the very least, much more confident than I was on Saturday as well. Hope I'm not underestimating the cats but just feel as though it's a perfect opportunity for our club and the players realise that.

This for me is key – the attitude they take into the game. Listening to Brad’s presser last week he was asked if the * game was crucial and something along the lines of make or break. His reply was "they are all crucial because it is the game in front of them right now" is a good one. My reading between the lines he approached the * game as any other and didn’t try to ‘hype’ them up (78K people will do that regardless!). This sets the tone or attitude of the Geelong game. Just another game where your best is required and no such thing as the key defining moment. We the fans speculate like that as does the media but hopefully the players listen, buy in and professionally play like we hope they do. Having a red hot crack just like any other week!

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same

The full poem!

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: “Hold on!”

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son.

I saw this stat earlier.

2nd halves for season 2014:
Geelong - 135 goals for; 155 goals against
North - 178 goals for; 122 goals against

I will be confident if we go in down at half time.

Key break down

First time
Cats
Goals: Hawkins 4, Bartel 2
Possessions: Kelly 33, Bartel 32, Stokes 28
Clearances: Stokes 4, Guthrie 4, Horlin Smith 4
North
Petrie 3, Thomas 3
Possessions: Harvey 33, Greenwood 33, Ziebell 27, Dal Santo 27
Clearances: Greenwood 9, Ziebell 5, Cunnington 5, Boomer 5

Second Time
Cat
Goals: Hawkins 3, Duncan 3, Caddy 2
Possessions: Christensen 29, Selwood 29
Clearances: Christensen 5, Selwood 5, Horling Smith 5
North
Goals: Thomas 3, Black 2
Possessions: Greenwood 25, Gibson 23, Boomer 23
Clearances: Swallow 7, Ziebell 5,

So boomer was kept quiet second time. Greenwood however was very good both times. Horlin smith killing us in middle!

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2014-09-08/in-the-mix-vs-roos-sf

Injury clouds over key Cats, second half fade-outs and a lack of potency up forward means all of a sudden there are plenty of spots up for grabs in the Cats side to take on North Melbourne this Friday night. We look at the contenders.

Mitch Brown
The Cats lacked a bit of potency against the Hawks finishing with the lowest score of the opening round of the finals. With Hawkins, Walker and Brown in the final round the Cats kicked their highest score of the season. Would Brown provide another avenue to goal for the Cats freeing up Hawkins?

Lincoln McCarthy
Many said McCarthy was unlucky to be dropped after an eye-catching performance against the Lions in round 23. His energy is huge and although yet to kick a major at AFL level, his VFL performances show he has no problems converting. An interesting option for the Cats this week.

Jed Bews
The Cats will know they have Bews ready to come in and play a shut down small forward role should they need it. North runs plenty of smalls through their forward line so the chance for Bews to make his finals debut is certainly there.

Allen Christensen
The Cats will be crossing their fingers Allen Christensen overcomes his back soreness by Friday night. Christensen was sorely missed against the Hawks and his last match against North Melbourne saw him cause headaches galore and had he been more accurate could have finished with four goals.

Brad Hartman
Could Hartman’s fairytale rise in 2014 be completed with a spot in the semi-final final side? Tough and hard running, Hartman can be relied upon to move from end to end and win the contest, something North’s midfielders are capable of.

Shane Kersten
Shane Kersten has now overcome his hamstring issue and will be putting his hand up to take on North Melbourne. Much like Brown, Kersten may provide that additional forward target the Cats require.

The whole Heytesbury district enjoyed it.
Especially his 2 handballs{to a teammate} when on his back with an opponent on top of him.
Not sure how many people saw them?
This is one of them you're talking about?
bws5i.gif

Driving home from work today listening to SEN, Ox talking about who will be out of our side to make way for Boomer..."Number 5 is going to be the unlucky one" he says. 5 minutes later I pull into Karingal Hub shopping centre car park, get out of my car and Ben Jacobs and Tim McGuiness walk past me and get into their car! Was a little eerie!!

But if you play Mullet or Adams as a sub, you have to drop another play from Friday's team. It's hard enough to find one to leave out for Boomer, so - barring injury - I can't see it happening. One change only, and Jacobs unfortunately looks the most dispensable. I wasn't sure about Basti as the sub but it worked ok. It's a nice luxury to have 22 fit players who could play the whole game, and that you'd like to play the whole game.

Bastinac had 5 kicks 2 handballs 1 mark in just over 1 quarter of football. The question that needs to be asked is "is it enough to hold his spot as sub or would Mullet be the better option...

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2014-09-08/stevie-j-is-confident-he-will-play

STEVE Johnson is confident he'll be available to play in Geelong's cut-throat semi-final next weekend, despite speculation his season is over.

After being sidelined for three weeks with a stress reaction in his right foot, the Cats star returned to the side in Friday night's qualifying final loss to Hawthorn.

Johnson started the game in brilliant fashion gathering nine disposals in the first term, but failed to have an impact for the rest of the match after his foot issue flared up.

While coach Chris Scott declared the triple premiership player was in doubt for next weekend's semi-final against either North Melbourne or Essendon, Johnson was more optimistic at recovery on Saturday morning.

"I might be in a bit of doubt but I'm pretty confident I'll play," Johnson told Fox Sports News.

When questioned whether the injury had worsened after Friday night, he replied "no, not at all".

Johnson completed his recovery at Barwon Heads on Saturday morning, tweeting a photo of the pristine water.

The Cats have more concerns though, with livewire Steve Motlop sustaining bruising to his right ankle after copping a knock.

And forward Tom Hawkins could come under scrutiny from the Match Review Panel for a jumper punch that connected with the jaw of Hawks defender Ben Stratton.

l have one statement to make to our supporters who use their membership tickets to get tickets for their mates who are opposition supporters.

If you want to be with your mates GET TICKETS IN THEIR ALLOCATED AREAS AND SIT WITH THEM ! :mad: l'm sick and tired of being in the North area with opposition supporters because their mates are North supporters..NEWS FLASH..you're not welcomed!!!! .:mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can give you a barcode. I live in Perth so wont be attending unfortunately.
You and I both mate.

Would love to go - and my two daughters too who are just loving how the boys are playing. My son leaves us to it - like their mum he isn't a footy fan. He supports us in spirit but he's a hockey boy and just not in his DNA to watch footy. So it was dad and the girls who were having kittens at half time on Sat until the tide turned. Still shaking my head in amazement after we were staring down the barrel like that.

You reckon you'll make it over in a fortnight if - god willing - we can get over the line for our next two?

Taken from the NMFC, Its time to believe

"Well Nick Dal Santo brought us in on the ground together and pretty much just drew a line in the sand," Wright told Crocmedia’s Sportsday program.

"He pretty much just said, ‘this is enough, boys, this is a final … we’re not going to get another chance, it’s now or never’.

The past is the past, learn and move on.. but for NMFC we are here, time to go hard or go home

....even worse is when these opposition supporters show a lack of respect to their surroundings and mouth off etc. I had an *ess family in front of me in M12 which was our section and 'dad' was rolling his eyes, making smart arse comments etc when our fans were yelling and screaming abuse at umpires, opposition players etc. him and his children didn't stop us going beserko in the last qtr that's for sure. what did that dickhead expect?? polite conversation and friendly banter...

We can do this. It will be tough, but I hope we take in the same attitude this week as we did last week, as I thought the attitude from all representatives of the club was immense and meant business.

No hopefully's, maybe's or if's, let's do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back