2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

If that's the case, then why would Northern academies invest time and money in them? If they don't, then they won't develop anyway. Catch 22.
According to the so-called experts because they are sons of guns they will develop naturally into good players. lol. Idiots!

Can only assume it is to do with where they live.

All I know is if he is as good as he looks today, there is an all time meltdown coming.

I noticed with a quick search that on the North board that they were speculating last year about him ending up with GWS. I don't want to break the news to them.

I could be totally wrong though with who number 33 is though.

Ripple in the water. Still years away, but I'm salivating over the thought of the 4 Hodge boys picking Brisbane academy over Hawthorn father-son

Not sure why you would be indifferent about young players who may end up playing for us, but drooling over some weird Hawthorn/Brisbane feud.

I'm very happy for players with those options to choose whoever suits them best. If it's us, great. If it's not, we move on.

Watching Victorian entitled clan clubs freaking out about it, like its a conspiracy and/or unethical does amuse me....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone manage to catch the u16s and allies games?

May have a squiz if I have time.

Carmichael had 20 possies in Allies, interested to see if he got more time in the middle
I watched both.

Not much to report from the U18 game. Slippery conditions. Although it was a proper fox footy game with HD cameras so not the usual average vision and we had 5 academy players featuring.

Carmichael and Chamberlin are both good prospects for next year's draft. Carmichael reminds me a bit of Lachie Whitfield and hopefully gets more midfield time next year. At the moment he seems to be restricted to just playing in the backline. I think Joel Cochran will get drafted this year, but probably as a later selection and will need time to develop as a key defender.

There are a couple of other interesting non Sydney players in the group. Jobe Shanahan from Moama looks a legit key forward. Zeke Uwland looks a clone of Zac Merrett and I am guessing will be in all the top 10 discussions next year but he is GC tied.

The U16s game is worth finding if you can as they seem to be a very strong batch there. Although I don't know how strong the opposition was. Aidan McCartney was a clear standout as a key forward. He played with real presence and potentially an interesting story given he is North F/S eligible.

Last edited:
I watched both.

Not much to report from the U18 game. Slippery conditions. Although it was a proper fox footy game with HD cameras so not the usual average vision and we had 5 academy players featuring.

Carmichael and Chamberlin are both good prospects for next year's draft. Carmichael reminds me a bit of Lachie Whitfield and hopefully gets more midfield time next year. At the moment he seems to be restricted to just playing in the backline. I think Joel Cochran will get drafted this year, but probably as a later selection and will need time to develop as a key defender.

There are a couple of other interesting non Sydney players in the group. Jobe Shanahan looks a legit key forward. Zeke Uwland looks a clone of Zac Merrett and I am guessing will be in all the top 10 discussions next year but he is GC tied.

The U16s game is worth finding if you can as they seem to be a very strong batch there. Although I don't know how strong the opposition was. Aidan McCartney was a clear standout as a key forward. He played with real presence and potentially an interesting story given he is North F/S eligible.
Agree with this from what i can gather here are the guys to look at in the next couple of years and the younger they get the less you know the range of where they will land or if they are good enough

2024: Cochran, Harrison & Andreacchio
If i had to guess Cochran 30-45, Harrison and Andreacchio in the rookie range

2025: Chamberlain, Carmichael, King, McNamara
If i had to guess i think that Chamberlain, Carmichael & King are all on the edge of National and Rookie. I think the first two have the games to showcase their skills but King is such an athletic freak that if he can get out on the park he could be the one that floats to the 20-30 range in the national draft

2026: McCartney, McGroder
McGroder is an athletic freak so the only problem will be the eventual dual sports battle to keep him Academy listed. As i mentioned earlier it is hard to judge younger players but he did look dominant as a forward kicking 4 goals. He is F/S tied to NM but will be academy tied to Sydney and i believe his father is GWS head of football so maybe there is a want to:
1. Stay away from North
2. Stay in Sydney with family

Last edited:
Agree with this from what i can gather here are the guys to look at in the next couple of years and the younger they get the less you know the range of where they will land or if they are good enough

2024: Cochran, Harrison & Andreacchio
If i had to guess Cochran 30-45, Harrison and Andreacchio in the rookie range

2025: Chamberlain, Carmichael, King, McNamara
If i had to guess i think that Chamberlain, Carmichael & King are all on the edge of National and Rookie. I think the first two have the games to showcase their skills but King is such an athletic freak that if he can get out on the park he could be the one that floats to the 20-30 range in the national draft

2026: McCartney
As i mentioned hard to judge but he did look dominant as a forward kicking 4 goals. He is F/S tied to NM but will be academy tied to Sydney and i believe his father is GWS head of football so maybe there is a want to:
1. Stay away from North
2. Stay in Sydney with family

2025. I think we're looking at one top 15 pick, another in the 20/30 range and no 1 pick in the rookie draft. King is the ultimate high risk high reward rookie pick. Carmichael has exposed his kicking skills, he'll get the Campbell footskills from the academy bump. Very hard to imagine he isn't a first round lock if he keeps it up

2025. I think we're looking at one top 15 pick, another in the 20/30 range and no 1 pick in the rookie draft. King is the ultimate high risk high reward rookie pick. Carmichael has exposed his kicking skills, he'll get the Campbell footskills from the academy bump. Very hard to imagine he isn't a first round lock if he keeps it up
Is King injured atm or for the initial part of the season as i haven't seen him in any of the u18 games? If he is then, if he can get his body right and play in his upper age season he will be a national pick imo just because he has such a high ceiling that is actually dumb. Swans may even just use a pick at the back end of the nationals just to take him so that they get him and noone gets him in the rookie draft before us etc.

Is King injured atm or for the initial part of the season as i haven't seen him in any of the u18 games? If he is then, if he can get his body right and play in his upper age season he will be a national pick imo just because he has such a high ceiling that is actually dumb. Swans may even just use a pick at the back end of the nationals just to take him so that they get him and noone gets him in the rookie draft before us etc.
King was injured in one of the academy games earlier this year. He resumed playing first grade for the Cardiff Hawks a few weeks ago so should be available for the futures games later this year. He is a good athlete.

However the real athletic freak in the academy is Mason McGroder from the u16. He was number 36 and played in the ruck in last weeks game. He is 15 and 194cm tall. He mixes athletics with the academy.

He won the Australian u17 and u20 long jump titles at the Australian championships in April. He also won U17 400 m race. He is ranked number one in the world for u17 long jump. He is competing in the world youth championships in September this year.

He made the Australian u15 AFL side last year playing as a KPF and in the ruck.

As a long jumper he needs explosive acceleration and the ability to jump high - great attributes for KPF in AFL. Hoping he gets to shine in the u16 championships later this month. Obviously will have a tough decision to make whether to play AFL or continue with athletics.

King was injured in one of the academy games earlier this year. He resumed playing first grade for the Cardiff Hawks a few weeks ago so should be available for the futures games later this year. He is a good athlete.

However the real athletic freak in the academy is Mason McGroder from the u16. He was number 36 and played in the ruck in last weeks game. He is 15 and 194cm tall. He mixes athletics with the academy.

He won the Australian u17 and u20 long jump titles at the Australian championships in April. He also won U17 400 m race. He is ranked number one in the world for u17 long jump. He is competing in the world youth championships in September this year.

As a long jumper he needs explosive acceleration and the ability to jump high - great attributes for KPF in AFL. Hoping he gets to shine in the u16 championships later this month. Obviously will have a tough decision to make whether to play AFL or continue with athletics.
JackHiscoxWasFast will love this bloke!

Good signs for King in his recovery and makes sense why he wasn't selected for the Allies as he probably didn't have the k's under the belt as an under-ager to warrant selection. McGroder will definitely be interesting, feels like he is destined to be a star track athlete but maybe just maybe footy wins him over. Because just like King he sounds, well doesn't just sound like an athlete freak he is one and those type of characteristics can be game breaking

Good signs for King in his recovery and makes sense why he wasn't selected for the Allies as he probably didn't have the k's under the belt as an under-ager to warrant selection. McGroder will definitely be interesting, feels like he is destined to be a star track athlete but maybe just maybe footy wins him over. Because just like King he sounds, well doesn't just sound like an athlete freak he is one and those type of characteristics can be game breaking

Sounds great but I'd be telling him to take the college scholarship in the USA and worry about the AFL after that, same as that WA kid is doing. 2 years out of the system he can avoid the draft

Sounds great but I'd be telling him to take the college scholarship in the USA and worry about the AFL after that, same as that WA kid is doing. 2 years out of the system he can avoid the draft
Yep feel like we are up against it given his progress his work as a track athlete.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back