2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh, this is going to trigger some people....

Two other players in similar situations are Aidan McCartney, the son of Jason, and Ethan Kingsley, son of Adam Kingsley. McCartney is eligible to North Melbourne as a father-son, where his dad Jason played 107 of his 182 AFL games, and Kingsley is eligible to join the Power where his dad played 170 games.

However, in a quirk for the current Giants coach and football manager, both sons will line up for crosstown rivals Sydney's under-16s side as members of the Swans Academy.

Also playing for the Swans in the under-16 carnival as an over-ager after having last season hit by injury will be James O'Loughlin, the son of Sydney champion Michael. He is eligible for the draft in 2025.

Two other players in similar situations are Aidan McCartney, the son of Jason, and Ethan Kingsley, son of Adam Kingsley. McCartney is eligible to North Melbourne as a father-son, where his dad Jason played 107 of his 182 AFL games, and Kingsley is eligible to join the Power where his dad played 170 games.

However, in a quirk for the current Giants coach and football manager, both sons will line up for crosstown rivals Sydney's under-16s side as members of the Swans Academy.

Also playing for the Swans in the under-16 carnival as an over-ager after having last season hit by injury will be James O'Loughlin, the son of Sydney champion Michael. He is eligible for the draft in 2025.

Triggers my happiness.

Omg please get another Norf f/s through the academy. Please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norf folk are still triggered by Blakey

Love telling them he was never going to Norf.

His preferences were

Bloods. Brions or open draft and that he’d refuse to turn up to Arden St in any circumstances.

It does seem weird that both McCartney and Kingsley chose to live in the Swans academy catchment area rather than the Giants academy area. Maybe weird isn't quite the right word, given the desirability difference between suburbs in the east and west of Sydney, but there are some decent places to live towards the west. You'd think the Giants would prefer, for the sake of appearances, for their senior staff to live in "their" part of Sydney.

It's possible that the Kingsleys haven't lived in the academy catchment area long enough for young Kingsley to qualify to be drafted as an academy player (if he is good enough and wants to be drafted to the Swans). I'm not sure exactly what the age cut-off is, but there certainly is one. Lachie Weller spent his last couple of seasons with the Suns' academy after the family moved when Maverick was drafted to the Suns. But he hadn't been there long enough to be an academy pick.

Aidan in particular looked dominant as a key forward in the game against GC a couple of weeks ago.

Here is a highlight of him taking a mark and then slotting a set shot.

It does seem weird that both McCartney and Kingsley chose to live in the Swans academy catchment area rather than the Giants academy area. Maybe weird isn't quite the right word, given the desirability difference between suburbs in the east and west of Sydney, but there are some decent places to live towards the west. You'd think the Giants would prefer, for the sake of appearances, for their senior staff to live in "their" part of Sydney.
Yeah I had the same thought. Before we moved up the coast we lived in Castle Hill which is part of the Giants academy area and was a wonderful place to live and raise a family.

Yeah I had the same thought. Before we moved up the coast we lived in Castle Hill which is part of the Giants academy area and was a wonderful place to live and raise a family.
I grew up in Castle Hill and played for Pennant Hills and what was then Baulkham Hills which are now Giants zoned. My kids got sick of me saying things like "the land on which Castle Towers is built used to be owned by friends of ours and had horses on it", and "the land where McDonalds is used to be vacant and where the carnivals used to set up when they came to town (there or the Showgrounds)", etc. My kids hated it when we visited Castle Hill...

I grew up in Castle Hill and played for Pennant Hills and what was then Baulkham Hills which are now Giants zoned. My kids got sick of me saying things like "the land on which Castle Towers is built used to be owned by friends of ours and had horses on it", and "the land where McDonalds is used to be vacant and where the carnivals used to set up when they came to town (there or the Showgrounds)", etc. My kids hated it when we visited Castle Hill...
I used to visit the Campbelltown area to pick up (literally) cow manure about 63 years ago. All just paddocks and Fisher's Ghost.

The Towers was already built (albeit about a quarter the size it is now) when we moved there in the late 80's but there was still plenty of farms about. We were over Glenhaven way, our house backed Gilbert Rd.

The Towers was already built (albeit about a quarter the size it is now) when we moved there in the late 80's but there was still plenty of farms about. We were over Glenhaven way, our house backed Gilbert Rd.
We were down near the RSL (a couple of streets from the high school). When my parents built there in 1970 there was only one set of traffic lights and parts of Old Northern Rd had no curb and guttering.

I'm now feeling old.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sucks we lost Mitchell Woods to NRL, he's an absolute gun in the mould of a sporting prodigy like Heeney. He's also from the heart of south west sydney (bankstown), he could've been a great poster boy for AFL in this region of Sydney.

It shows the importance of academies & shows we don't keep them all...

We were down near the RSL (a couple of streets from the high school). When my parents built there in 1970 there was only one set of traffic lights and parts of Old Northern Rd had no curb and guttering.

I'm now feeling old.
I know the feeling!

It's possible that the Kingsleys haven't lived in the academy catchment area long enough for young Kingsley to qualify to be drafted as an academy player (if he is good enough and wants to be drafted to the Swans). I'm not sure exactly what the age cut-off is, but there certainly is one. Lachie Weller spent his last couple of seasons with the Suns' academy after the family moved when Maverick was drafted to the Suns. But he hadn't been there long enough to be an academy pick.
Yeah, good call about the eligibility. My understanding is they have to be in the Academy from the age of 13yrs? or so to qualify as an Academy player selection.

Yeah, good call about the eligibility. My understanding is they have to be in the Academy from the age of 13yrs? or so to qualify as an Academy player selection.
I don't think the lad (or lass) themselves needs to be in the academy from that young an age. After all, they're always looking for athletic talent to poach from other sports. Naismith was scouted at a relatively late (though still teenage) age. I suspect McAndrew was similar.

However, their main residential address (or that of their parents, allowing for kids going elsewhere for school) needs to have been in the applicable zone. That's to stop clubs paying inducements to parents to move over a boundary to a different zone once it becomes apparent that their late teenaged son (or daughter) has elite potential.

I don't think the lad (or lass) themselves needs to be in the academy from that young an age. After all, they're always looking for athletic talent to poach from other sports. Naismith was scouted at a relatively late (though still teenage) age. I suspect McAndrew was similar.

However, their main residential address (or that of their parents, allowing for kids going elsewhere for school) needs to have been in the applicable zone. That's to stop clubs paying inducements to parents to move over a boundary to a different zone once it becomes apparent that their late teenaged son (or daughter) has elite potential.

Similar to the old zoning rules in the VFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back