Veteran 10k Posts
Oct 1, 2001
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BH, SAS, BRFC, MVFC.
http://wwiii.sbs.com.au/home/index2.php3?id=29420
In his exclusive column for TheWorldGame, Socceroos skipper Paul Okon expressed his disappointment at the England team for refusing to partake in the friendly tradition of swapping shirts following Australia's emphatic 3-1 win at Upton Park.

Okon, who had an outstanding game at the heart of the Socceroos midfield, was full of praise for his teammates but was a little surprised at how humiliated the English were.

"There was no excuse for England," Okon said. "They have now been hammered by Australia at every sport - except maybe croquet - that they’re now too embarrassed to give us any credit."

"I was very disappointed that the England players didn’t want to swap shirts after the match. Each player received two shirts and it’s customary for players to swap, especially after an international. They just didn’t want to do it.

"A few of our guys began to swap with a couple of them but when it became an issue we didn’t pursue it. I guess that shows what the result really meant to England. They were very disappointed to lose to Australia. "

The former Middlesbrough, Watford, Fiorentina, Lazio and Club Brugge player who began his career with Marconi in the NSL, also called on Soccer Australia to make the most from the result and deliver on its promise to provide the Socceroos with regular matches ahead of an eventual tilt at qualifying for the 2006 World Cup.

"Not too many teams beat England convincingly. We have," he said.

"It’s now up to us to produce more results like that and, importantly, produce them consistently.

"One result doesn’t make us a great team but it increases expectation. Even from ourselves. This was a great result from the entire team, helped by the great spirit present in the squad. It was a great experience for everybody. "

"One step towards establishing that consistency is for Soccer Australia to keep to their word and deliver on its promise of providing the national team with a 12 month program."

"Rather than take each game month by month, we need to know exactly what’s going on and plan well in advance so we’re able to produce similar results at a World Cup."

Croquet!!! Love ya work, Paul.

Re: Re: Okon's take on Poms.

Originally posted by Catman
Nah, we've probably beaten them at that too!

So, what does that mean? It means that the only way you Aussies have of showing the rest of the world of your existence (Unless the rest of the World strolled through Earls Court) Is that you're good at athletic persuits, games!

Nothing wrong in that, the question is, what else are you good at?

You're starting to look like plastic Merkin wannabe's.

Originally posted by bulldog pommy
Even if they were given two shirts, i'm not sure i would like to give away the first shirt i made my international debut in.
Just my thought.
Oh. I thought it was "just a friendly"

Re: Re: Re: Okon's take on Poms.

Originally posted by floorshaker
So, what does that mean? It means that the only way you Aussies have of showing the rest of the world of your existence (Unless the rest of the World strolled through Earls Court) Is that you're good at athletic persuits, games!

Nothing wrong in that, the question is, what else are you good at?

You're starting to look like plastic Merkin wannabe's.

Persuits?

I'm sure we are better spellers too. :p

Re: Re: Re: Re: Okon's take on Poms.

Originally posted by Catman
Persuits?

I'm sure we are better spellers too. :p

Than me? Probably......:D I always have trouble with persuit?
:confused:

But I am from the dregs of 60 million, little education. you are, no doubt, from the elite of 20 million.

Our halfwits would make the top 5% in Australia. Which means, I'd had least make a brilliant state premier.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Okon's take on Poms.

Originally posted by floorshaker
Our halfwits would make the top 5% in Australia. Which means, I'd had least make a brilliant state premier.

Hate to break this to you but having intelligence isn't a prerequisite (or even an advantage) to being a politician in Australia or Britain.

Moomba

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Okon's take on Poms.

Originally posted by moomba
Hate to break this to you but having intelligence isn't a prerequisite (or even an advantage) to being a politician in Australia or Britain.

Moomba

Australia yes! Britain? Maybe.

Which is most worrying.

BTW, you've got a City badge. I'd keep quiet if I were you and don't use words like prerequisite, unless you come from Prestwich. :p

Originally posted by mattyc2422
Oh. I thought it was "just a friendly"

Friendly or not, would you want give up your first international shirt?
Would Steve Waugh or any of the rest want to hand over their first cap? I doubt it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Okon's take on Poms.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back