Oppo Camp Oliver Henry (Traded to Geelong 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonderful 🤣 - my first memory of Indented Head is many moons ago - a day visit to my sister who was staying with the family of one of her school
friends. I got tooken out fishing - may have even caught some flathead - I remember excitedly returning from fishing and announcing to my mother that we had gone "fishing in Bass Strait" - not sure why I thought 400 metres off Indented Head was Bass Strait! - could have been the exuberance of youth ...
Stealing a kiss from a friend's sister was always fun - the lure of semi- forbidden fruit - there we go again - fruit rules -:inc at Indented Head
I'm pretty sure you would have caught flathead. Apart from heating pies, pasties, sausage rolls and donuts, the rest of my friend's father's time was spent cleaning and fileting flathead which we caught in numerous quantities from the boat. I had forgotten the flathead - I am sure they were served with some unhealthy home cooked chips, probably with a side of pastie innards to provide some vegetable matter.

My school friend, Peter, was only such because he lived nearby and we were the first boys on the bus to school and last off everyday. I think he would have been a great success if he had been born 35 years earlier in Germany as he was the type who'd have done well in the Gestapo. He was a junior school prefect. Thanks to him, I was caned three times - for taking lemons from the branch of a tree overhanging a path, throwing another kid's cap over a fence and short cutting from a railway crossing to the corner of the station platform.

At senior school, he quickly rose to rank of lieutenant in the school cadets and thrived on strutting about the bus on cadet day in his perfectly polished boots and crisp uniform probably lovingly ironed by his mother who swore the Germans had never done anything more than defend themselves against a world hell bent on isolating them.

You don't expect your friends to lag on you for minor misdemeanours or things which normal people wouldn't even consider a misdemeanour. Even if the school had been foolish enough to give them a badge which signified that a 13 year old could act as an open spy and informer among his school mates.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure you would have caught flathead. Apart from heating pies, pasties, sausage rolls and donuts, the rest of my friend's father's time was spent cleaning and fileting flathead which we caught in numerous quantities from the boat. I had forgotten the flathead - I am sure they were served with some unhealthy home cooked chips, probably with a side of pastie innards to provide some vegetable matter.

My school friend, Peter, was only such because he lived nearby and we were the first boys on the bus to school and last off everyday. I think he would have been a great success if he had been born 35 years earlier in Germany as he was the type who'd have done well in the Gestapo. He was a junior school prefect. Thanks to him, I was caned three times - for taking lemons from the branch of a tree overhanging a path, throwing another kid's cap over a fence and short cutting from a railway crossing to the corner of the station platform.

At senior school, he quickly rose to rank of lieutenant in the school cadets and thrived on strutting about the bus on cadet day in his perfectly polished boots and crisp uniform probably lovingly ironed by his mother who swore the Germans had never done anything more than defend themselves against a world hell bent on isolating them.

You don't expect your friends to lag on you for minor misdemeanours or things which normal people wouldn't even consider a misdemeanour. Even if the school had been foolish enough to give them a badge which signified that a 13 year old could act as an open spy and informer among his school mates.
Good old flathead - underrated but first class eating.
Never forget if you catch yourself on a nasty spike of theirs - wipe the sore spot with some slime from the top of their head

On to cadets - I spent 4 years in that august institution - inc camps and bivouacs - army ration packs with plum pudding in pack C - making it the most sought after. Exploding small tins of military vegemite in the camp fire was fun

Well remember spit polishing boots and applying khaki paste stuff to gaiters -: avoiding getting said paste on the buckles!

If I had been apprehended for all minor misdemeanors inc pinching fruit this post would be written in the company of uniformed officers behind high walls.

Good old flathead - underrated but first class eating.
Never forget if you catch yourself on a nasty spike of theirs - wipe the sore spot with some slime from the top of their head

On to cadets - I spent 4 years in that august institution - inc camps and bivouacs - army ration packs with plum pudding in pack C - making it the most sought after. Exploding small tins of military vegemite in the camp fire was fun

Well remember spit polishing boots and applying khaki paste stuff to gaiters -: avoiding getting said paste on the buckles!

If I had been apprehended for all minor misdemeanors inc pinching fruit this post would be written in the company of uniformed officers behind high walls.
I hate plum pudding. I wouldn't be fighting anyone for pack C. I missed cadets even though it was compulsory for yr 9 - 11. My father was a pacifist. I had to go into scouts and all the dangers that entailed. Lasted a year then did something else, but never had to do anything militaristic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because he and his Manager Shitted on the Club
You're a hard man, Dave. Unfortunately, not everyone loves the club, least alone those that don't want to be there. If mummy's house 50km down the road and the nearby club hold more appeal, it's hard to stop anyone leaving. Henry will always be the one who got away.

Henry is a very good player and I don’t get the talking him down. It’s pointless.
Not sure about that. I find slagging him off makes me feel better. Have I mentioned how much he prances like a dressage horse when running in to kick for goal?

Size isn’t so much an issue if you have the aerial game, Tim Membrey has already proved that, and I’m not sure Ollie lacks pace so much as he doesn’t know how to use his, or doesn’t have the tank to show it.
Honestly he has all the tools to make it, but it’s a matter of whether he’s willing to put in the work that’s required to bring himself to the standard that’s needed, or if he’s happy to coast along and get irregular games on talent alone.
True about Membrey but he’s really the exception to the rule. But agree Ollie’s attitude is the real potential issue.

Last edited:
Wonderful 🤣 - my first memory of Indented Head is many moons ago - a day visit to my sister who was staying with the family of one of her school
friends. I got tooken out fishing - may have even caught some flathead - I remember excitedly returning from fishing and announcing to my mother that we had gone "fishing in Bass Strait" - not sure why I thought 400 metres off Indented Head was Bass Strait! - could have been the exuberance of youth ...
Stealing a kiss from a friend's sister was always fun - the lure of semi- forbidden fruit - there we go again - fruit rules -:inc at Indented Head
Indented head. Spent my teenage summers there, great memories.
Diving off the wreck, avoiding stingrays, fishing for whiting and flathead, filleting them on the beach, beach bonfires, getting an older friend or sibling to drive to the bottlo, chasing girls in the caravan parks, NYE by the yacht club, Australia Day fireworks across the bay whilst listening to Fox fm, and gate crashing family bbqs, whilst parents watched day night cricket games or aus open tennis matches in their caravan annexes.

Brad Johnson’s family also had a residency there, and his dad was a ripper. Also a keen fisherman, and a v funny bloke. Still remember one of his jokes…. “Strictly Ballroom - a film about my jockstrap…”.

Last edited:
Outstanding ability to concentrate, most of us would turn and tell the bloke to shut the * up.
Did he kick the goal?

Ginnivan had something to him in his 1st Season in the VFL against Sandy he Kicked the Goal and Turned around and gave the Bloke the Middle Finger

Size isn’t so much an issue if you have the aerial game, Tim Membrey has already proved that, and I’m not sure Ollie lacks pace so much as he doesn’t know how to use his, or doesn’t have the tank to show it.
Honestly he has all the tools to make it, but it’s a matter of whether he’s willing to put in the work that’s required to bring himself to the standard that’s needed, or if he’s happy to coast along and get irregular games on talent alone.
Lack of size limits you though. You can be a good player as a 188cm forward who plays like a KPP, but not much more. Membrey a decent comparison. Even then, if your defensive work is not there you can struggle, Dan Menzel an example.

Henry has some great attributes and some clear weaknesses. If he can develop some secondary attributes to his game he could unlock another level. What he's shown so far is at best a good AFL player. There's some risk that he doesn't put in the work and struggles to forge a long career, but I'd say that's unlikely, he's good enough to be a long term AFL player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Oliver Henry (Traded to Geelong 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back