Roast Olsen and the board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Some board members are more influential than others!

Do you think Kate Ellis & Mark Ricciuto have similar influence?

The issue is we only have 1 football person on a football club board.

100%. AFL club boards are also very different to normal board.

Of our Board members that I know at least two would have very little idea the football industry. Their football knowledge is purely around our the club.

Reid, Kelly and Nicks do their presentations but it's for information only. Those board members couldn't evaluate their performance because they don't understand the industry. Anything football related is 100% on Roo

100%. AFL club boards are also very different to normal board.

Of our Board members that I know at least two would have very little idea the football industry. Their football knowledge is purely around our the club.

Reid, Kelly and Nicks do their presentations but it's for information only. Those board members couldn't evaluate their performance because they don't understand the industry. Anything football related is 100% on Roo

The AFL is corporate now “show me the money “ which is why we have corporates

Go have a look at the 1997 / 1998 board, how things have changed how many real footy people were on it, from sanfl club boards to ex players

Sign of the times

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dictators to willingly give up power to the people, no strings attached?

When Pigs Fly Animation GIF by Marie Chapuis

It'll be interesting. The AFL ceases to be a member on the Development Grant Completion Date. Basically on that date the board chooses which class of member the voting rights are transferred to. Currently there are only 3, AFL (which will be deleted), Life and Electing Members (current membership that can vote for elected directors). If the board fell asleep through that date, the default position is that the voting rights transfer to the Electing Members. If our board wants to maintain power, they will need to create another class of member and transfer the AFL's right to them. The constitution provides the board absolute discretion to create or amend classes of membership. So 'AFL' could be replaced with 'SA Government' or 'SANFL' or a separate class of members that are simply appointed by the board.

Can't wait to see how this all goes down.

I'm mostly supportive of the club - but I've spent quite a bit of time in work and social environments with a former board member, and I didn't get any sense that she was particularly knowledgeable or connected to AFL football.

It’s really not too hard to work out why the AFC is failing by looking at history. The last time we were successful at FOOTBALL is 1997 1998

Sanders CEO past player

Board
Hammond chairman player and coach
Hall past player
Martin past player
Lee past player and admin
Miller past player and admin
Campbelll sanfl club president

These guys had the voting power to make club decisions,FOOTBALL decision and all football people

At the moment we have Roo which by the way has no voting power if people think someone like Kate Ellis will just follow anyone they are mistaken, she is a strong woman who will make her own decisions. We have one FOOTBALL person on the board

This board makes decisions on coaches recruitment staff the CEO every important decision that shapes football at the club no wonder we are stuffed

Whether Roo is right or wrong for the board is quite irrelevant because if we had enough footy people on the board the voting would be shaped by robust debate from a cross section of footy people not accountants and politicians

It’s really not too hard to work out why the AFC is failing by looking at history. The last time we were successful at FOOTBALL is 1997 1998

Sanders CEO past player

Board
Hammond chairman player and coach
Hall past player
Martin past player
Lee past player and admin
Miller past player and admin
Campbelll sanfl club president

These guys had the voting power to make club decisions,FOOTBALL decision and all football people

At the moment we have Roo which by the way has no voting power if people think someone like Kate Ellis will just follow anyone they are mistaken, she is a strong woman who will make her own decisions. We have one FOOTBALL person on the board

This board makes decisions on coaches recruitment staff the CEO every important decision that shapes football at the club no wonder we are stuffed

Whether Roo is right or wrong for the board is quite irrelevant because if we had enough footy people on the board the voting would be shaped by robust debate from a cross section of footy people not accountants and politicians

Agreed, not having football people on the board means they are going to defer to the opinion of the football legend that sits on the board. Imagine going against Roos opinion on a football matter? It’s just not going to happen.

So we have Roo to thank for Hamish ****ing up our rebuild.

Agreed, not having football people on the board means they are going to defer to the opinion of the football legend that sits on the board. Imagine going against Roos opinion on a football matter? It’s just not going to happen.

So we have Roo to thank for Hamish ****ing up our rebuild.

No there not they are all high performing board members in their own right I would seriously doubt any of them follow anything in life. Look at their careers they definitely aren’t folliwers and have a huge ego and belief in their own ability

They need to go as they cannot contribute seriously to any footy conversation at least Roo can but with others on the board he is only one vote

No there not they are all high performing board members in their own right I would seriously doubt any of them follow anything in life. Look at their careers they definitely aren’t folliwers and have a huge ego and belief in their own ability

They need to go as they cannot contribute seriously to any footy conversation at least Roo can but with others on the board he is only one vote

So you’re seriously suggesting they are voting against Roos recommendations? Roo actually wants to get rid of his old manager in Reid and he’s been against re-signing Hamish each time but they do it anyway?

So you’re seriously suggesting they are voting against Roos recommendations? Roo actually wants to get rid of his old manager in Reid and he’s been against re-signing Hamish each time but they do it anyway?

And further to that if they do follow like sheep which I highly doubt they shouldn’t be appointed to any board

So do you think Roo has not wanted to keep Ogilvie?

It doesn’t really matter I would say Reid Kelly Ogilvie nicks even Roos non board position would all pass over the boards vote if it doesn’t that person appointing them answers to the board

The board effectively rules over everything as they appoint the people to make decisions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It doesn’t really matter I would say Reid Kelly Ogilvie nicks even Roos non board position would all pass over the boards vote if it doesn’t that person appointing them answers to the board

The board effectively rules over everything as they appoint the people to make decisions

I’m asking you do you think Roo has wanted to keep Ogilvie?

With his one vote, no

Who knows Roo may abstain from the vote due to his recommendations, that quite often happens on boards where there are executive and non executive board members

So your contention is the board is ignoring the recommendation of the only member on the board with football experience, the Football Director and club legend. Yeah ok.

So your contention is the board is ignoring the recommendation of the only member on the board with football experience, the Football Director and club legend. Yeah ok.

The board runs the entire club and is ultimately responsible for appointing positions that control the club

The board is the only real responsible for the clubs failures

Are you asking if someone like Olsen or Ellis and their egos will listen to that brain surgeon Roo

What do you think

In football related matters yeah I think they would, but Olsen has been there for what 3 years? Hamish and Roo a lot longer than that.

Olsen wasn’t here for the review and the aftermath, Roo was and he, Hamish and Reid have been the one constant through all this mess.

In football related matters yeah I think they would, but Olsen has been there for what 3 years? Hamish and Roo a lot longer than that.

Olsen wasn’t here for the review and the aftermath, Roo was and he, Hamish and Reid have been the one constant through all this mess.

Maybe but Olsen isn’t the only board member it takes a lot of votes you are thinking roo has the vote he doesn’t

It takes a majority to win a motion that majority won the nicks extension and we will never know how many or who voted for it

Maybe but Olsen isn’t the only board member it takes a lot of votes you are thinking roo has the vote he doesn’t

It takes a majority to win a motion that majority won the nicks extension and we will never know how many or who voted for it

I’m not thinking Roo has the sole vote, I’m saying that as the football director and legend, he would have a major influence and I’m talking about Hamish continuing employment, Roo has been the constant through all of it.

I’m not thinking Roo has the sole vote, I’m saying that as the football director and legend, he would have a major influence and I’m talking about Hamish continuing employment, Roo has been the constant through all of it.

He definitely has a sole vote as does Olsen or Ellis

That is how a board of directors work

You can think Olsen Ellis and co are dummies and follow. But those people are super independent and strong people they aren’t just meek mild people like Olsen have a bigger ego than the Grand Canyon. Nothing wrong with that though

He definitely has a sole vote as does Olsen or Ellis

That is how a board of directors work

You can think Olsen Ellis and co are dummies and follow. But those people are super independent and strong people they aren’t just meek mild people like Olsen have a bigger ego than the Grand Canyon. Nothing wrong with that though

FFS Marty and around we go again. Olsen hasn’t been there for all of Hamish’s tenure, the only constant is Roo. He must be a fairly ineffectual football director if successive boards keep going against his opinions. Or you could just acknowledge that in more likelihood Roo has been supportive of Hamish drafting and position at the club.

FFS Marty and around we go again. Olsen hasn’t been there for all of Hamish’s tenure, the only constant is Roo. He must be a fairly ineffectual football director if successive boards keep going against his opinions. Or you could just acknowledge that in more likelihood Roo has been supportive of Hamish drafting and position at the club.

Then the previous board members voted on it or were happy with Roos handling of it. These board members are basically professional board members who are totally aware how a board works and why they were chosen to be on one. They are not regular members that have just blown into the position

That’s how a board works FFS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back