Coach Operation Get Hardwick

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been wanting Hardwick for ages now. It was mission accomplished for him at Richmond after 2020, this day was always coming. Unfortunately, I have absolutely zero faith in the club having the balls to make the big chips in play for him that would be required, even if they do finally get rid of Hinkley, which in itself is far from guaranteed.

Hinkley or Carr will be our coach next year.

Imagine the comparisons with the Stinkley version of this.

Well you have to imagine because he has never been there unless you count Bell Park.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lmao, if there was a human antithesis to this video, it’s Ken.

Acknowledging that he wouldn’t give too much away while being recorded, Dimma actually gives measurable feedback based on tangibles that the players can walk away knowing so that they can improve.

While Ken’s bullshit buzzword, waffling about intangibles that can’t be measured, (see ‘harder for longer’) leave players with no real idea what to improve or even do, but it motivates them apparently?

I've been wanting Hardwick for ages now. It was mission accomplished for him at Richmond after 2020, this day was always coming. Unfortunately, I have absolutely zero faith in the club having the balls to make the big chips in play for him that would be required, even if they do finally get rid of Hinkley, which in itself is far from guaranteed.

How do we know that Carr won’t be a very good coach, and potentially better than Hardwick mark 2?

Well you have to imagine because he has never been there unless you count Bell Park.

I believe Hinky gave that speech at three quarter time and Bell Park went on to lose the quarter. Must have been inspiring stuff.

How do we know that Carr won’t be a very good coach, and potentially better than Hardwick mark 2?

We don't know. All we know is what Hardwick mark 1 is, which is an outstanding coach. We're just guessing after that.

No one is sacking the Premiership coach mate.

And that's a problem. Still, there would be no need to sack him.

He could simply walk away. It's the right thing.

I don't expect that the right thing will be done, but it's the right thing nonetheless.

---

The only thing I'm sure of. If Ken leaves, particularly to a well resourced club with good strong leadership above and quality youth he'll turn into peak Clarko overnight.

And Butters will follow.

So yeah, lock me in on the hold.

Really interesting. I would like to give this hypothesis a try. If true, I would be the first one to ask Hinkley why he didn't leave us earlier. It would be obvious that we had hold him down all these years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only three of the last 20 separate premiership coaches were on their second club after winning a premiership with their first club. So the overwhelming proportion of breakthroughs are made at a coach’s first club.

That makes sense as coaches are typically at their most innovative early in their careers.

Hardwick has been a very good coach at Richmond. But the high intensity, move the ball on at all costs strategy that was so successful has now been superseded, and I’ve seen little evidence of any major new innovations since their 2020 premiership.

My strong preference would be to bring in someone who has not been senior coach elsewhere. And my focus if I was on the selection panel would be identifying and implementing new ideas that get the most out of exceptionally talented young core.

"We're playing a good side, there's no doubt about that, but you're a ****ing great side"

vs

"We're playing a good side, and we're not there yet, we're a long way from getting to their level but if we keep working we will see we might get close"

I agree with you that it is likely that Ken Hinkley will survive and if he is replaced it could well be with Josh Carr. My reasons differ as I think Hardwick is, as he says, burnt out and needs a rest. If he has a 12 month break the coaching jobs at Geelong, Carlton, Melbourne and Collingwood all become available. It is unlikely that all of those clubs will want a change but Carlton might jump at the chance to say 'thanks Vossy' and sign Hardwick. Then again if Collingwood do not win a Premiership in the next two years they might well say, 'let's get a Coach who has a Premiership track record.' Then there is North Melbourne as no one knows what will happen with Clarkson and Hardwick may want another challenge, Richmond were a bit of a basket case when he took them on.

The question is does Damien Hardwick want to leave Melbourne? If he wants to stay put there are a couple of alternatives on his doorstep provided all is as it seems and he wants a year off.

The only thing I'm sure of. If Ken leaves, particularly to a well resourced club with good strong leadership above and quality youth he'll turn into peak Clarko overnight.

And Butters will follow.

So yeah, lock me in on the hold.
Hes been backed to the hilt with great recruiting here for 11 years.

What evidence do you base this certainty on?

And that's a problem. Still, there would be no need to sack him.

He could simply walk away. It's the right thing.

I don't expect that the right thing will be done, but it's the right thing nonetheless.

---

Really interesting. I would like to give this hypothesis a try. If true, I would be the first one to ask Hinkley why he didn't leave us earlier. It would be obvious that we had hold him down all these years.
Hardwick had decided this was his last year in the off season.

I'm still hoping beyond hope Ken has decided the same. Even if we win a flag I'd be happy with that.

Only three of the last 20 separate premiership coaches were on their second club after winning a premiership with their first club. So the overwhelming proportion of breakthroughs are made at a coach’s first club.

That makes sense as coaches are typically at their most innovative early in their careers.

Hardwick has been a very good coach at Richmond. But the high intensity, move the ball on at all costs strategy that was so successful has now been superseded, and I’ve seen little evidence of any major new innovations since their 2020 premiership.

My strong preference would be to bring in someone who has not been senior coach elsewhere. And my focus if I was on the selection panel would be identifying and implementing new ideas that get the most out of exceptionally talented young core.
So 15% for retreads.

You can't say if that's good or not without a comparison to fresh coaches.

What's the percentage for new coaches?

Id guess it's as bad or worse.

"We're playing a good side, there's no doubt about that, but you're a ******* great side"

vs

"We're playing a good side, and we're not there yet, we're a long way from getting to their level but if we keep working we will see we might get close"
That's word for word what I was imagining.

It's obvious an uncontrolled Koch will always be the fly in the ointment regarding any football decisions with his stability above everything else mantra, and if it is his decision alone I have little doubt that if kern wants another extension that clown will give him one.

There have been some signs though, albeit intangible, that he is now keeping his nose out of the day to day football stuff, which if true can only be a positive.

Re Hardwick, I wouldn't be adverse to him getting the gig but at this stage my preference would be the younger and possibly hungrier Josh Carr.

I generally favour experienced coaches but one thing I do like about Carr is that he's coached his own team at SANFL level. In my opinion, assistant coach and senior coach are two totally different roles and being good at one doesn't necessarily make you good at the other.

Hes been backed to the hilt with great recruiting here for 11 years.

What evidence do you base this certainty on?

Just an inkling.

And a typical FU Ports.

Hinkley hasn't had the off field strength like your Michael Gale etc etc.

He also performs MUCH better with anyone remotely decent alongside him in the box.

The boundary coaching is huge....

And we just beat Melbourne with a fking hack fwd line. That's impressive shit.

Yes he should have gone after the Dogs Prelim. It's insanity to suggest now. Especially for Carr, despite my love for him.

I wonder if Carr would be willing to wait if it was a Roos/Goodwin style 2 years of Hardwick followed by a transition to Carr.

I feel like Carr is ready now but he also said he is not in a rush and may feel he will have a better chance of success and longevity after 2 years learning off of Hardwick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Operation Get Hardwick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back