OT: Restaurants in CBD

Remove this Banner Ad

becks3.jpg

Becks is alright when I was in Germany last year I had Becks Lemon, now that stuff was awesome! But I can't get it here :(

Yeah love the Becks. Not a fan of Heinekin. Stellas are ok. Carlsberg is good stuff. Gimme Coopers Lager over Pale as well.

Yeah love the Becks. Not a fan of Heinekin. Stellas are ok. Carlsberg is good stuff. Gimme Coopers Lager over Pale as well.

Was in Frankfurt last year when the Dutch were playing Argentina (they are crazy people!) and funniest comment was from this Dutchman that had been to Australia I offered to buy him a Heineken and he looked at me and said that would be like me buying you a Fosters! I just lost it! :D

I veto Citrus and Gaucho's as "good" restaurants - both cos of the service. The food is fine, but Gaucho's is a place where you are ignored in a very loud environment, and the waitresses at Citrus are condescending, and... rude.

Top line restaurants ($25 ish mains?) in the CBD:
Auge (in the middle somewhere)
Enoteca Cucina (Carrington St)
Jolly's Boathouse (On the river)
Red Ochre (on the river)
Eros (Rundle Street)

If you wanna go real expensive (but excellent) the Grange (Hilton) or Shiki (Hyatt) are incredible, but cost $125 per head, if you don't drink wine. $200 if you do. :)

And I reckon, for the record, that Penfolds Magill Estate restaurant is better than the Grange.

Furthermore, out of the CBD (I'm on a roll!):
- Restaurant 66, (king william rd)
- Melting Pot (king william road)
- Chloes (norwood/kent town)
- Soho (melbourne st)

- The Manse in Nth Adelaide is such a dissapointment now, It was previously the place I had eaten the best meal of my life, but is under new management, and... it sucks in comparison now. :(

Anyway, those are "the best" restaurants I can think of, there are plenty of still very good ones everywhere.

Definately the best in Adelaide. Havent eaten enough in other states to comment but its an excellent place.

If you want great food and great wine. Alphutte is a good choice. Bit pricey.

Amalfi's if you want excellent pizza and pasta.

The Fish cafe's on Gouger St are great.

Gaucho's if you want good steaks.

Havent read the whole thread But for me you cannt beat ASSAGIO on King William Road Hyde Park - Sensational

Was in Frankfurt last year when the Dutch were playing Argentina (they are crazy people!) and funniest comment was from this Dutchman that had been to Australia I offered to buy him a Heineken and he looked at me and said that would be like me buying you a Fosters! I just lost it! :D

that's odd, I know quite a few dutchman - and they won't drink anything else but Heineken. and that includes dutch who live in adelaide, london and in holland itself.

I think your friend was having a lend of you.

And I reckon, for the record, that Penfolds Magill Estate restaurant is better than the Grange.

really? why is that.

the Magill has a very safe, unadventurous cuisine, that bases itself on ingredients without any particular technical accomplishment. It is indistinguishable from any other, relatively ambitious, haute french based restaurant.

it's great for tourists, and that's what it aims for, but apart from the view, I can't see what there is to really recommend it - food wise. it's a great occasion place no doubt, but that's for everything that goes with it.

the food has always been ' correct' but without inspiration or imagination.

whereas the grange is one of the great fusion restaurants on the world stage, and many, including myself, would argue that it was Cheong Liew and not Ken Hom who pioneered the whole east meets west thing.
Patricia Wells, an american food journalist, and one the most influential in the world today, has claimed Cheong is one of the few true genius cooking in the world today.

the chef at the Magill, well that's a revolving door. innit? :p

Yeah Chris Parisi - Good bloke - great food and some killer memorabilia on the walls (esp alot of GP stuff)

goota keep in mind the traditionalists never enter such competitions.

it's why an australian wine can win 'best chardonnay in the world' at a london competition, and then discover there only 8 entries.

the best pizza is served in Naples and the surrounds. and I love La Trattoria like everyone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

that's odd, I know quite a few dutchman - and they won't drink anything else but Heineken. and that includes dutch who live in adelaide, london and in holland itself.

I think your friend was having a lend of you.

I think it depends on which part of Holland they are from I would have said it was 50-50 that day some would love it others wouldnt touch it.

cool. let us know how it goes.

Excellent! :thumbsu:

Very classy indeed. Gorgeous place. Impressive wine list. The staff were excellent and the presentation and quality of the food was superb.

Had the braised pork belly with potato & fennel gratin with seared scallops for an entree. Had the beef eye fillet with rosemary & veal lasagne, caramelised shallots and parsley puree for the main.

Definately high up in terms of meals ive had. Tis pricey but meh, would recommend it to anyone.

For Chinese food in Adelaide I love Ky Chow on gouger. Was a regular'ish lunch haunt when I was home.

What's the Greek place down near the ramshead? Had a meal for a friends birthday when I was in Adelaide last October and for 30bucks a head it was hands down some of the best Greek food I'd ever had and I usually don't walk away from a table with food left on it either but just had to that night.

What's the Greek place down near the ramshead? Had a meal for a friends birthday when I was in Adelaide last October and for 30bucks a head it was hands down some of the best Greek food I'd ever had and I usually don't walk away from a table with food left on it either but just had to that night.
Do you mean Ramsgate?

If so, Estia is the place!

A bit OT, but their take-away window at the back does the best yiros Ive had...

Thought I'd post my 2 bobs worth.

I went to Barton's restaurant the other day at the Cally and had a superb meal. Must admit, I was only expecting something half decent but the food was superb.

The Grange without doubt is the best I've been to in a long time. Strathmore and those stone grills are top class and a nice setting also.

Went to the Greedy Goose not long ago and thought it was ratshit. Couldn't believe the price I paid and the crap I was served, would not recommend it at all.

On Rundle, I liked the Lemongrass, compared favourably to the Star of Siam on Gouger (although havent been there in a while). Gaucho's, the Argentinian restaurant is bloody good too, especially if you like meat.

Not sure about Indian, Beyond India on O'Connell is nice and probably my pick, but other than that, I've had some run of the mill type indian food.

For Mexican, I liked Zapatas on Melbourne Street better than Montezumas.

La Trattoria sounds awesome, can't wait to get down there.

Tonight I am off to Amarin (or Amaril ?) thai on Tynte Street which has won a number of awards, so Im hoping its a good place. Anyone been there ? Thoughts ?

Remove this Banner Ad

OT: Restaurants in CBD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back