OT: Restaurants in CBD

Remove this Banner Ad

King William. South side of Victoria Square, between Sturt street and Wright street if memory serves.
Might want to make a reservation by the way. It's a fairly busy place.

Well, the advice was as good as the restaurant- bloody beautiful:thumbsu:
Good wine,good price,good parking,good service and good food.

Had the Scallopine Marinara :thumbsu:

I was gonna suggest La Trattoria too, but it seems I've been well beaten.
Brilliant pizzas.
Didn't the chef win some kind of international pizza award in America or something?

Love their pizzas. First class!! :thumbsu:

Actually. all their food is excellent.

If you're into steak, especially if someone else is picking up the bill :) , two superb places are Gaucho's in Gouger Street

http://www.gauchos.com.au/

or the Cork and Cleaver at Glenunga

http://www.yourrestaurants.com.au/guide/cork_and_cleaver/

If you're into sea-food, and want the very best in taste for a reasonable price then Paul's on the Parade at Norwood is unbeatable. Not for its decor but for the most delicious sea-food in Adelaide. :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

http://www.yourrestaurants.com.au/guide/pauls_on_parade/

^^^ Agree RE seafood. Paul's on Parade is great. Sammy's at the Marina is not too shabby either :thumbsu:

Been there a few times as well, Stiffy. Prices are a bit steeper, but in the main their food is very good, particularly their prawns.

My one criticism of Sammy's is their whiting. I'm not totally convinced that it's not silver whiting, rather than the King George whiting that it's sold as. Something about it is not quite right both in flesh colour and taste.

Apart from that - very good.

Been there a few times as well, Stiffy. Prices are a bit steeper, but in the main their food is very good, particularly their prawns.

My one criticism of Sammy's is their whiting. I'm not totally convinced that it's not silver whiting, rather than the King George whiting that it's sold as. Something about it is not quite right both in flesh colour and taste.

Apart from that - very good.
Their lobster is excellent though :thumbsu:

Never tried the Whiting there so can't comment. Had lobster, fruits of the sea, prawns and just about everything else on their menu but whiting.

I went to the Bombay Bicycle Club on Friday night for dinner, the restaurant section is very elegant, neat and tidy with a touch of class. The food was exceptionally appetising and didn’t leave the party wanting more.

I went to the Bombay Bicycle Club on Friday night for dinner, the restaurant section is very elegant, neat and tidy with a touch of class. The food was exceptionally appetising and didn’t leave the party wanting more.

Top place to go. Has a great atmosphere.

Even their cheapest meal - fish and chips - taste excellent. :thumbsu:

Sammys is an excellent venue and will always be a special place with me as its where I proposed to my wife. The scenery you get from the upper level, on a clear summers night with a top sunset is almost unbeatable. But I do think the food is over priced there. It is very good quality, but id rather go to the two fish cafe's down Gouger St, or Pauls as macca23 mentioned. They are a bit cheaper and the food is just as good in my opinion.

Bombay Bicycle Club is good fun. I love the theme.

really? why is that.

the Magill has a very safe, unadventurous cuisine, that bases itself on ingredients without any particular technical accomplishment. It is indistinguishable from any other, relatively ambitious, haute french based restaurant.

it's great for tourists, and that's what it aims for, but apart from the view, I can't see what there is to really recommend it - food wise. it's a great occasion place no doubt, but that's for everything that goes with it.

the food has always been ' correct' but without inspiration or imagination.

whereas the grange is one of the great fusion restaurants on the world stage, and many, including myself, would argue that it was Cheong Liew and not Ken Hom who pioneered the whole east meets west thing.
Patricia Wells, an american food journalist, and one the most influential in the world today, has claimed Cheong is one of the few true genius cooking in the world today.

the chef at the Magill, well that's a revolving door. innit? :p

Sorry, missed most of this.

I can't disagree with you stating that the food is excellent at the Grange: it is.

In fact, it is probably better than the food at Magill Estate, as I wasn't so impressed with the food last time I visited Magill. I would not however, call the food uninspired at Magill Estate - it's excellent stuff!

Wines are on par with each other (You get Grange in the matched wine selection at Penfolds, but I had this MOST EXCELLENT port at the Grange, the name of it escapes me. Beautiful though).

Still, I'm talking about the whole dining experience - if I'm going to drop 400/500 bucks on a dinner for two, I want the whole package. The venue at Magill estate is incredible, it sets a stage for a better night. The grange restaurant is low ceilinged, and kind of just really off to the side of the hotel open area, it doesn't feel as intimate and... spesh.

And just to drag the whole tone of this down: You're more likely to get laid as a result of Magill Estate than the Grange.

:)

Bombay Bicycle club and the Tap Inn in Kent town - I can't comment on the food, but the pubs have been reno'd, and they're... awesome.

Love the decor in both, makes for a good night out.

Went to the Tap Inn about a month ago and it was awesome. The food is just the same as you would get at most pubs as a counter meal (noting wrong with that).

Only problem with the Tap Inn is you are not allowed to have had any alcohol before Teeing off. I guess that a wise thing.

Agree with last line as well. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone recommend an eatery in the Adelaide CBD worth going too?
Staying in a spa:eek:suite Saturday night to blow off the cobwebs....

Not real fussed on the price range but nothing too extravagant plz:D

Well, the advice was as good as the restaurant- bloody beautiful:thumbsu:
Good wine,good price,good parking,good service and good food.

Had the Scallopine Marinara :thumbsu:

more importantly - did you get your cobwebbs blown off in the spa suite ???

:D

I went to the Bombay Bicycle Club on Friday night for dinner, ...
That name is a blast from the past, but it certainly wasn't a restaurant back then.

Love their pizzas. First class!! :thumbsu:

Actually. all their food is excellent.

If you're into steak, especially if someone else is picking up the bill :) , two superb places are Gaucho's in Gouger Street

http://www.gauchos.com.au/

or the Cork and Cleaver at Glenunga

http://www.yourrestaurants.com.au/guide/cork_and_cleaver/

If you're into sea-food, and want the very best in taste for a reasonable price then Paul's on the Parade at Norwood is unbeatable. Not for its decor but for the most delicious sea-food in Adelaide. :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

http://www.yourrestaurants.com.au/guide/pauls_on_parade/

Two items are POA. Just bring your gold Amex card and the bank manager.

Had an awsome thermadore there once. Still paying it off. :p

Went to the Tap Inn about a month ago and it was awesome. The food is just the same as you would get at most pubs as a counter meal (noting wrong with that).

Only problem with the Tap Inn is you are not allowed to have had any alcohol before Teeing off. I guess that a wise thing.

Agree with last line as well. :thumbsu:
I thought you said a while back that you didnt need alcohol to have a good time. I seem to recall you took quite the moral high ground on the matter too. ;)

I don't think there is the slightest bit of difference between the fish cafe's.

everyone likes the ones they like for their own reasons, but the fish itself is as fresh as each others, and they don't do anything different with them either.

atmosphere, price, and personal preference make up the differences for me.

Sammy's on the marina has a great, great view, and you pay for it.
I've always liked the Gouger Fish cafe myself.

I've often wondered though, if most people truly appreciate how good South Australian seafood really is. I'm not talking about the idiotic parochialism of the Advertiser feel good stories, but genuinely how good it is.

IMO, it is close to the best in the world. and very cheap for the quality.

At a top restaurant, including service, a dozen of the finest Fine de Claire oysters from Normandy could cost about $90.00

they are no better than the local ones.

mind you they pants us on the quality of meat ;)
oh and wine too!

Well and truely appreciate it Crow-mo, which tends to mean that whenever I am out I generally end up getting some form of seafood no matter what type of restaurant I'm at :eek:

Snap Nikki!! :) :thumbsu: I love fish and prawns - anywhere, anytime.

Capitalist mentioned The Greek on Halifax - sensational sea-food, but I'm glad I didn't have to pick up the tab when I went there. We really got stuck into it! :D

If it sounds like I'm a professional luncher - guilty as charged!! :p

One of the really great perks of my job. :) :thumbsu:

I thought you said a while back that you didnt need alcohol to have a good time. I seem to recall you took quite the moral high ground on the matter too. ;)

Sorry Golf boy but where did I imply I was talking about me drinking? In no way did I imply I drank, I said “Only problem with the Tap Inn is you are not allowed to have had any alcohol before Teeing off

And I finished off with “I guess that a wise thing.”

I never implied I drank; I could have been talking about the people I was with (who do drink) or other patrons who choose to drink and then want to have a hit of golf.

Remove this Banner Ad

OT: Restaurants in CBD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back