Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think clubs should have the right to stand players down who have been accused or charged with violence against women?

You want to stand down someone on the strength of an online complaint?

In answer to your question, no. Not aware of a sporting code in the world that could do that(ahem, Aus open semi finalist)?

Why don’t you try to set out a policy/rule by which that could be done? Hint: there should be an objective standard, like the NRL stand down rule. Which would not operate when an allegation has been made. You need a police charge.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do you think clubs should have the right to stand players down who have been accused or charged with violence against women?

as a primary school teacher, you would be stood down and I think that's appropriate. You have the duty of care of children. I'm not so convinced that footballers should be stood down before charges have been proved. The Zverev example made me more uncomfortable about how people in the media were trying to inflame the situation. It seems to me that the main argument for stopping zverev from playing or being on the players committee, was that his presence was going to allow the media to inflame the situation. I dont see that as a reason.

You want to stand down someone on the strength of an online complaint?

In answer to your question, no. Not aware of a sporting code in the world that could do that(ahem, Aus open semi finalist)?

Why don’t you try to set out a policy/rule by which that could be done? Hint: there should be an objective standard, like the NRL stand down rule. Which would not operate when an allegation has been made. You need a police charge.

I don’t think Thomas should be stood down at this stage. Ideally the matter should be dealt with confidentiality by the AFL, although it seems they have botched the inquiry. Either they have credible evidence or not.

In general though, I think clubs reserve the right to stand down players given the situation. For example, a player charged with domestic violence should be stood down pending the outcome of the charge. Not given a limp two match suspension, like in the NRL.

as a primary school teacher, you would be stood down and I think that's appropriate. You have the duty of care of children. I'm not so convinced that footballers should be stood down before charges have been proved. The Zverev example made me more uncomfortable about how people in the media were trying to inflame the situation. It seems to me that the main argument for stopping zverev from playing or being on the players committee, was that his presence was going to allow the media to inflame the situation. I dont see that as a reason.
Clubs will stand down players to protect their brand and sponsors.

I don’t think Thomas should be stood down at this stage. Ideally the matter should be dealt with confidentiality by the AFL, although it seems they have botched the inquiry. Either they have credible evidence or not.

In general though, I think clubs reserve the right to stand down players given the situation. For example, a player charged with domestic violence should be stood down pending the outcome of the charge. Not given a limp two match suspension, like in the NRL.

Botched the inquiry how? News got out before it got to afl house and now they are waiting on Thomas and his counsel to appear. Some thinking might help you.

Botched the inquiry how? News got out before it got to afl house and now they are waiting on Thomas and his counsel to appear. Some thinking might help you.

Does it take this long for counsel to prepare?

How would a stand down from a club reduce that risk? I don't think that employers should be looking to mete out punishments for alleged crimes.
It won’t, but the club will be seen to be taking a stand on violence against women.

If there is any substance to the latest allegation, I expect North will suspend him indefinitely. Regardless of any legal outcomes.

It won’t, but the club will be seen to be taking a stand on violence against women.

If there is any substance to the latest allegation, I expect North will suspend him indefinitely. Regardless of any legal outcomes.
I think that's how it'll go too, but I do think it's employer encroaching on worker's rights. No idea about the laws involved. They can take a stand in other ways.

Clubs will stand down players to protect their brand and sponsors.

You miss the point jmac. There is rational reason to stop a teacher supervising children if he has allegations regarding domestic violence hanging over him....certainly if he has been charged. There is nothing rational in protecting Nike who underpays its workforce. It's laughable to protect Emirates when the people who own the airline oversee a system that treats women like second-class citizens. You gottta be kidding me. lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

suspend with pay....pay him out...that might be achievable if he doesnt get convicted. However, you might be forgetting that thomas is indigenous and the righteous protecting women's rights might be trumped by the righteous who are protecting indigenous rights.

For any bashers reading this, do us all a favour and go and get fixed or jump off a cliff.

suspend with pay....pay him out...that might be achievable if he doesnt get convicted. However, you might be forgetting that thomas is indigenous and the righteous protecting women's rights might be trumped by the righteous who are protecting indigenous rights.

For any bashers reading this, do us all a favour and go and get fixed or jump off a cliff.
North made it pretty clear they won’t tolerate any further incidents.

The whole notion of the AFL and its clubs acting as judge jury and executioner on players' conduct outside football sticks in my craw. We have a legal system that functions after a fashion in all three roles and it is ridiculous that a sporting body can override or preempt that system with its own set of standards and penalties. I don't object to it ruling on in club and on field actions, but it has no place in judging people's behaviour in other arenas. I repeat, we have a legal system for that. Ben Cousins was the ultimate example. The people making these judgements are frequently hypocrites with appalling skeletons in their own closets.

The whole notion of the AFL and its clubs acting as judge jury and executioner on players' conduct outside football sticks in my craw. We have a legal system that functions after a fashion in all three roles and it is ridiculous that a sporting body can override or preempt that system with its own set of standards and penalties. I don't object to it ruling on in club and on field actions, but it has no place in judging people's behaviour in other arenas. I repeat, we have a legal system for that. Ben Cousins was the ultimate example. The people making these judgements are frequently hypocrites with appalling skeletons in their own closets.
The AFL is well within its right to investigate claims of this nature. Thomas is an employee of the AFL, he is bound by a code of conduct.

The AFL is well within its right to investigate claims of this nature. Thomas is an employee of the AFL, he is bound by a code of conduct.

Many are bound but few are chosen....

Sigh. It's an allegation. When will people learn? Degoey was hung, drawn and quartered for things he never did by many of his own supporters. Now, he is an admired leader and one of the reasons we are the current champions of the AFL.
People cant think for themselves thats why.

Look at the Giddey scenario in the NBA , allegations from twitter and deleted within 4 hours. Continues to be booed after the police ended the investigation with no charge.

Bridges who plays for the Hornes is meanwhile running around after charges of domestic violence and a 3 year probation and no one in the crowd says a thing.

Nathan Freeman on Survivor tonight!

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back