Oppo Camp Other Games Rolling Thread 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmmm…

Another player knocked out by McCarthy going for the ball

That’s some coincidence

Imagine if that was Maynard who knocked 2 players out in 3 games with footy acts

The runners up hangover is real .
Looks like Brisbane are in the same boat as us. I see it now.

The late finish to a long season.
The late start to preseason.
The ridiculous early start to the new season with opening round nonsense.

Brisbane and Collingwood both look underdone. We’ve lost our run.

Geelong didn’t make the 8 last year. Sydney did but just. IIRC, Adelaide were robbed that goal and had they won as they should have, Sydney didn’t make finals. So it happened last year too.

But this year has been made worse by the earlier season start.

Geelong didn’t make the 8 last year. Sydney did but just. IIRC, Adelaide were robbed that goal and had they won as they should have, Sydney didn’t make finals. So it happened last year too.

Didn't want to use it as an excuse, but there might be some truth in this now.

In VFL/AFL history, this is the earliest start to a season we've ever had.

An ideal AFL season should be starting in late March/early April in my opinion.

Didn't want to use it as an excuse, but there might be some truth in this now.

In VFL/AFL history, this is the earliest start to a season we've ever had.

An ideal AFL season should be starting in late March/early April in my opinion.
I was saying after Friday night, what on earth did we do with preseason because it hasn’t worked. Having a good preseason is important.

The AFL has massively penalised the grand finalists now with this even earlier start.

I feel better now because I feel we may have our explanation on what seems to have gone so horribly wrong!

But, Carlton and GWS both have looked great. Both made it to prelims. So finished one week earlier. Both played opening round. So same on both those things.

But when did they start their preseason? One week prior? Or earlier?

I feel better now because I feel we may have our explanation on what seems to have gone so horribly wrong!

But, Carlton and GWS both have looked great. Both made it to prelims. So finished one week earlier. Both played opening round. So same on both those things.

Winning a flag, then celebrating for a few weeks (as you should) would def have an impact, bigger than any other club. Even as a supporter I feel content we won, this year is just a bonus if we get there. As a player, I’m sure it’s hard to get back up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Winning a flag, then celebrating for a few weeks (as you should) would def have an impact, bigger than any other club. Even as a supporter I feel content we won, this year is just a bonus if we get there. As a player, I’m sure it’s hard to get back up
Agree. Absolutely would be harder to get up again. But Brisbane should be extra hungry.
Carlton and GWS look hungry.
Brisbane look flat and very ordinary. So I think there’s more to it.

It's not so much the resumption of training, it's usually the delayed surgeries etc.

I don't think we really had all that many though.

What’s obvious across all the games in round one is how many new fresh faces each team has introduced….this is something we have failed at selection.

We seem to not want to play our trust the next wave of players more consistently with runs of games.
Guys like Reef, Macrae, Harrison, Allan etc.

Everywhere I look every team has just thrown their kids in.

It’s easy to say we won the flag and we back in the players but as a coaching group, hunger and freshness should have been a priority in the early parts of the season

The AFL have found another mechanism to bring the grand final teams back to the pack. Start the season earlier.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

GWS and Carlton had 24 weeks and are 2:0

Brisbane and Collingwood only had 23 weeks and are 0:2

Correlation doesn’t mean causality. I don’t buy that an extra week in 5 months makes any difference.

I don’t think we’re going as bad. As people think. Simple skill errors on transition caused a lot of goals out the back and forced our defence out of shape.

One thing I’m dead certain on is every other team in the league would take an flag and an 0 2 start the following year.

Take into consideration everything that goes into the week prior to the GF.

The whole build up.
The game itself.
The celebrations.

I think that would require a lot more energy from us & Lions than it would for Giants, Blues, Swans, etc.

And then getting back to training & trying to be ready physically & mentally right to start the season.

Blues get a bye this week. Lions get a bye this week. Giants get a bye next week. We have to wait until round 5...!

GWS and Carlton had 24 weeks and are 2:0

Brisbane and Collingwood only had 23 weeks and are 0:2

Correlation doesn’t mean causality. I don’t buy that an extra week in 5 months makes any difference.
But then you have to take into consideration the extra weeks that our players were celebrating the premiership win,while other teams were knuckling down at training and getting fitter.That must count for something.

We, along with Brisbane, should have the bye this week. Why has Carlton been given the bye.
Surely some moron at the AFL would think that we got the grand finalists to start the season earlier, so we will give them both the bye in round 2 in preparation for their game at the Gabba the following week....

We, along with Brisbane, should have the bye this week. Why has Carlton been given the bye.
Surely some moron at the AFL would think that we got the grand finalists to start the season earlier, so we will give them both the bye in round 2 in preparation for their game at the Gabba the following week....
Yep it would have made more sense with us playing Brisbane on Easter Thursday night the following week.

The AFL are ****ing morons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Other Games Rolling Thread 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back