HB: Heath Shaw ----------- Nathan Brown ------------------- Alan Toovey
C: Dayne Beams ------------ Dane Swan --------------------- Dale Thomas
HF: Tarkyn Lockyer -------- Travis Cloke ------------------ Paul Medhurst
F: ----------------- Jack Anthony ----------------- Alan Didak-----------------
R: Darren Jolly ---------- Scott Pendllebury -------------------- Luke Ball

INT: Leon Davis..........Leigh Brown
.....Brent Macaffer......Cameron Wood

Would be my best 22.

Collingwood play with a seven man backline so the conventional listing structure can't possibly work. Maxwell will play a floating role in front of dangerous forward types (Franklin, Riewoldt, Brown), while against sides without these types he'll play as a second loose flanker. Heath Shaw in all instances will play loose on the oppositions least offensive small forward.

O'Brien will take the opposition's most dangerous small or medium forward, or their paciest forward in case of any conjecture. Toovey will take a slower medium/small forward. Prestigiacomo gets first crack at the tall forward playing closer to goal, while Brown gets the one further downfield.

In the middle, heavy rotation between the forward and midfield lines will be critical. Ball, Beams and Swan will play predominantly as inside mids, as will O'Bree or Sidebottom if they earn their way into the best 22 (I couldn't squeeze either in). Forwards in the midfield (Thomas/Davis/Didak/Macaffer) will play as our outside, skilled midfielders, while Pendlebury can play either role depending on team balance.

Our forwardline is a very spread forwardline, with our two forward flankers operating between 30m-70m, our Centre-Half Forward playing up on the 50m, leaving a small or medium type (Medhurst/Didak/Davis preferably) to crumb at the feet of whoever our full forward is (Jack/Leigh/Sean) Lockyer or Thomas will play the defensive role in our forward fifty.

Wood will play as a tall backman or forward target for about 40% game time, and will ruck for around 30%. Leigh Brown's position in the team will be interchangeable with that of Josh Fraser - against taller, physically stronger forward and backlines, Leigh should get the nod, and Josh should be given the faster, smaller squads due to his superior athleticism around the ground. Of course, form should also be a consideraton, and you'd think if Brown played CHB/FF like he did at the end of last season, he'd be a favourite to start in the team.

Macaffer will begin to offer that utility role Tarkyn Lockyer offered for so long, playing as either a tall or small midfielder, backman or forward as required.

Obviously, a few players were very unlucky to miss, but this is the best 22 as I see it right now.

B O'Brien Presti Maxwell
HB Shaw N Brown Toovey
C didak Swan Daisy
HF macaffa Cloke Medhurst
F fraser Anthony Davis

R Jolly Ball Pendlebury

Inter sidebottom, Reid, Beams, O'Bree

emg wood dawes blight

I'll do this team based on Round 1. Which means it is catered for Western Bulldogs.

We have great depth, so may as well pick the right side to face the opposition of that week. That means no-one is safe and ensures everyone must stay on their toes.

B: Toovey, Prestigiacomo, Harry O'Brien
HB: Shaw, Maxwell, Goldsack
C: Thomas, Swan, Johnson
HF: Lockyer, Cloke, Didak
F: Davis, Leigh Brown, Medhurst

R: Jolly, Ball, Pendlebury

I: Fraser, O'Bree, Beams, Buckley

E: Macaffer, Sidebottom, Anthony

1. Jack may not be ready and has been owned by Lake in the past. Leigh Brown has dominated at Full Forward in all scratch matches and against the Saints. At least he will bring the ball to ground against Lake. Lake is stronger than Jack...and considering Jack has had no match practice yet, Lee Roy starts forward.

2. Goldsack is a better match for the Doggies small forwards than Reid, Nathan Brown or Leigh Brown. Presti will take their 1 tall and Leigh Brown can go back if needed. I have named a shortass backline...but Dogs typically have a shortass forwardline. Goldsack could be a good matchup on Murphy or Hahn.

This changes however if Jordan Roughead or one of their other emerging talls is named. A few showed promise in the NAB. Ben Reid is close because he is more agile than Nathan Brown.

3. Buckley has pace and is being developed as a tagger. Could get a major job on someone like Cooney or Griffen...or use his speed across half back.

4. Heater is likely to go to Brad Johnson so we will not see him in the midfield from R1.

5. With Leigh Brown forward, we should get our dangerous smalls at his feet. Leigh is more likely to bring the ball to ground than Jack against Lake.

6. Someone like Dale or Lockyer may need to defensive tag Gilbee. Davis most likely to get Harbrow so must be careful.

7. I would prefer Sidebottom in over Ben Johnson. But I think Johnson's extra footspeed and tagging ability will ensure Mick picks him. We may not play both our 2nd year mids in Round 1.

This will change before R1 because some will step up, and we'll get a better look at the Doggies lineup in the NAB this week with Barry Hall in the side.

If Doggies throw a few talls up there, Ben Reid or Nathan Brown slot in for Goldsack.

Ben " just not good enough" Reid is in the best 22????????????????

He's our pre-season hopefull, means automatic selection in Rnd 1 regardless of performance :rolleyes:

Reid and Brown need another run on the park against the less meaty backline of Adelaide to see how they can do as young KPDs. Neither really get me excited, still think Brown is the best option due to his actual AFL experience in the position, and Reid certainly wasn't impressive last Friday.

Really want Dawes to get a crack against Adelaide, I reckon he knows this season is his chance to light it up and I'd wager he is going to either pop or drop.

Let me just correct the ops team, as he wasn't that far off.
This will be the team for round 1:

Collingwood round 1 team

Backs:
34. Alan Toovey
35. Simon Prestigiacomo
5. Nick Maxwell (c)

Half-Backs:
39. Heath shaw
6. Tyson Goldsack
8. Harry O’brien

Centres:
4. Alan Didak
10. Scott Pendlebury
13. Dale Thomas

Half-Forwards:
24. Tarkyn Lockyer
32. Travis Cloke
1. Leon Davis

Forwards:
9. John Anthony
25. Josh Fraser
7. Paul Medhurst

Rucks:
18. Darren jolly
36. Dane swan
12. Luke ball

Interchange:
15. Leigh brown
26. Ben Johnson
17. Dayne Beams
21. Sharrod Wellingham

Players that will be swapped and shuffled for the above to rest throughout the season are:

Shane O'Bree
Steele Sidebottom
Chris Dawes
Cam Wood
Nathan Brown
Simon Buckley

Things to note:

I have put Goldsack in ahead of N Brown because we don't need him with Presti in the team.
Goldsack has far more skill than N Brown ever will, and is handy in other positions around the ground.
Personally i have no idea why Goldy was dropped after our round 22 loss to the dogs last season, he was BOG for mine....
Simon Buckley seems a similar player to Goldy, but with more bulk, he will be an interesting development throughout, and could put more pressure on these boys to perform, which is great for the team.

I think we will see a lot more of Steele this season, but still similar rotations as last season but this season it will be between Steele, Beams, BJ and O'bree, possibly Thomas depending on his form.

Sharrod has shown a lot of promising signs late last season and last week against the Saints. He has pace that is very exciting, and he is learning to be more daring like Thomas, so based on last weeks form vs the top team he will hold a spot in the top 22.
Without him we are a much slower team.
And with Goldy being much quicker than N Brown.
With these 2 boys I see us as a force, as they can turn on the pace.

Ben Johnson is a confidence player, he has far more experience than the kids, and don't fool yourselves by thinking he is outside our top 22.
He IS our no. 1 tagger, and last year he proved it by dominating GAblett before his foot snapped.
The second that happened the Pussies got on top and over ran us.
His form before his foot was outstanding, and don't forget we wouldn't of won against Adelaide in the finals without him.
Give him confidence by letting him know straight up "BJ, your in round 1"

And finally, I would love to see Dawes be given more of a chance this season, I fear if we don't reward him he will go elsewhere next season, as he would be a walk in FF at most other clubs.
Based on reports of how he's traveling and last nights game, I feel he will break into the team anyway. Also the VFL team does not have Chris Bryan up forward, so Dawes has it all to himself to prove his worth.

Bottom line, we have never seen so much depth in a Collingwood team, this puts pressure on the top 22 to perform, which can only be good.
We will see this team take a few weeks to gel, but I expect us to be flying after this.
Top 4 shouldn't be an aim with this list, top 2 is what im expecting, just quietly.

Sorry but I disagree. If Johnson gets games ahead of Sidebottom I will be livid.

sidebottom is fighting for a spot out of 5 or 6 other blokes

johnson is fighting no one for the role as a tagger.

Not entirely true IMO. Macaffer has been used as a tagger in the pre-season and I personally believe Wellingham is being used in the back half with a view to improving his defensive side to be a tagger. I would pick either player ahead of Johnson to be honest, he is simply no good. I personally would be developing Buckley as a tagger, he seems the perfect player for the role. Huge, fast, finds the balls, hard at it and has good skills.

FB - - - - - -Toovey - Presti - Goldsack
- - - - - - - - - - - - -Maxwell
HB - - - - - - - Shaw - Reid - O'Brien

C - - - - - -Thomas - Pendlebury - Didak
FOLL - - - - - -Jolly - Swan - Beams

HF - - - - - - Davis - Anthony - Fraser
FF - - - - - - - - Medhurst - Cloke

INT - Ball - Wellingham - Lockyer - Sidebottom

This is the 22 I originally suggested but I'm thinking Leroy might play round 1 even if Jack is fit. Jack would then come in for round 2. To put a younger, unfit player in against an elite opponent who has destroyed him in the past would be pointless IMO. Reid is still ahead of Rambo (both bad against the Saints but Brown was much worse) and with Leroy up forward Reid is a slot in at this stage for mine.

I am also unsure on Toovey now. He was absolutely diabolical against the Aints last week. I know I'll get canned for saying that but he seriously had no idea what he was doing. If that trend continues I'd be happy to play Wellers or Dale on a HBF or to bring Buckley in to play the role. It's one game though so it's still his spot to lose but he must improve dramatically, especially considering the fact that Goldsack, O'Brien, Shaw and Maxi are all quite good at playing on smalls (especially the first 2).

REVISED TEAM: (Toovey out because I wouldn't select him but Malthouse will so that's why I said the spot was still "his to lose")
FB - - - - - - O'Brien - Presti - Goldsack
- - - - - - - - - - - - -Maxwell
HB - - - - - - - Shaw - Reid - Buckley

C
- - - - - - Thomas - Pendlebury - Didak
FOLL - - - - - - Jolly - Swan - Beams

HF - - - - - - - Davis - -Cloke - Fraser
FF - - - - - - - - Medhurst - L Brown

INT - Ball - Wellingham - Lockyer - Sidebottom

sidebottom is fighting for a spot out of 5 or 6 other blokes

johnson is fighting no one for the role as a tagger.
Why does everyone think he can tag? How did he go tagging in his last AFL game?

He's an awful tagger. This reputation is coming from a single quarter on Gary Ablett.

There is no compulsion to play a tagger. If we don't have a good tagger, we don't play a tagger at all.

I've tried doing my team, there could be one or two unlucky decent players at Round 1. More than likely though, we may pick up an injury or two so it might not matter.

B: Nick Maxwell, Simon Prestigiacomo, Alan Toovey
HB: Sharrod Wellingham, Ben Reid, Harry O'Brien

Presti picks himself, as do Maxwell and O'Brien. Then it gets interesting. Wellingham will play a sweeper role replacing Shaw, Toovey is our #1 lockdown player however might be more of a back 6 player this year, and Ben Reid steals Browns spot at CHB, with his extra mobility and rebound to compliment Presti better.

Foll: Darren Jolly, Dane Swan, Luke Ball
C: Heath Shaw, Scott Pendlebury, Alan Didak

I think this is our obvious middle 6.

HF: Paul Medhurst, Travis Cloke, Tarkyn Lockyer
F: Josh Fraser, John Anthony, Leon Davis

Resting ruckman (Jolly/Fraser) up forward will give us a different look this year and our slightly undersized key forwards some much needed support - Jolly in particular up forward will be exciting at times. Leon plays permanent forward due to Dicky's injury, and Tarkyn is our best lead up small.

Inter: Dale Thomas, Shane O'Bree, Leigh Brown, Dayne Beams

Thomas to offer spare parts role - midfield support, defensive forward goal sneak. O'Bree to rotate with the inside midfielders, as will Beams at times and Leigh Brown gets in due to good pre-season and versatility reasons.

Others: Steele Sidebottom, Nathan Brown, Tyson Goldsack, Chris Dawes, Cameron Wood, Brent Macaffer, John McCarthy...

Injured: Dick, Rusling

(Steele looks to be the stiff one - but as I said injuries will come about surely)

FB: Alan Toovey, Simon Prestigiacomo, Tyson Goldsack
HB: Heath Shaw, Nick Maxwell, Harry O'Brien
C: Alan Didak, Dane Swan, Dayne Beams
Fol: Darren Jolly, Luke Ball, Scott Pendlebury

HF: Leon Davis, Travis Cloke, Tarkyn Lockyer
FF: Sean Rusling, Jack Anthony, Paul Medhurst
Int: Josh Fraser, Dale Thomas, Steele Sidebottom, Shane O’Bree

Emg: Leigh Brown, Cameron Wood, Sharrod Wellingham

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does everyone think he can tag? How did he go tagging in his last AFL game?

He's an awful tagger. This reputation is coming from a single quarter on Gary Ablett.

There is no compulsion to play a tagger. If we don't have a good tagger, we don't play a tagger at all.

This, we currently don't have a reliable AFL level tagger and until we do we are better off just going head to head rather then play Ben Johnson as a tagger. Johnson was rarely used as a tagger last year anyway.

any updates on our best 22 for rnd 1 given what's happened in the last couple of practice matches? i would think we'll look something like this

B: toovey presti maxwell
HB: maxwell reid shaw
C: thomas swan sidebottom
HF: didak cloke medhurst
F: anthony fraser davis
Foll: jolly pendlebury obree
Int: ball lockyer goldsack beams

on the fringes - mccarthy johnson macaffer n brown l brown dawes

could possibly play another tall in one of the browns or dawes at the expense of maybe beams?

thoughts?

many teams have been close, but people always put in a player or 2 that are clearly their favourite.
lol, like the ops team, having rusling in!

And the team above, reid is no chance.

many have put N brown in thier team, this just wont happen.

a) Presti is fit
b) dogs dont have 2 barry's
and finally c) Goldsack > n brown

I can't see beams and steele both being in the team, they still lack size/experience/endurance.

For this reason I believe BJ will definately be in our team, and if he's not then niether should O'Bree, based on that logic anyway.

So this will be our round 1 team.

B: Toovey Presti Maxwell
HB: O'Brien Shaw Goldsack
C: Thomas Swan Sidebottom
HF: Didak Cloke Lockyer
F: Anthony Davis Medhurst
Foll: Jolly Pendlebury Ball
Int: Obree Fraser Johnson L. Brown

E: Wellingham, Beams, Dawes

Something very similar to this anyway.
I wouldn't be surprised if Wellingham was named, based on his form.
But who goes? It's very very tough, a great list we've developed :)

B: Goldsack, Prestigiacomo, O'Brien
HB: Shaw, Maxwell, Toovey
C: Thomas, Pendlebury, Beams
R: Jolly, Ball, Swan
HF: Davis, Cloke, Didak
F: Medhurst, Anthony, Dawes / Rusling / L. Brown
I/C: Fraser, Lockyer, Sidebottom, Johnson / Buckley

The forward pocket position will be contested (seeing Dick is out) by 3 guys IMO.

I don't mind if Johnson and Buckley share the role of extra drive from defence (to take pressure off Shaw and let him play further up the ground).

I don't believe that you can have Ball and O'Bree in the same side. O'Bree has been a great servant to the club but, I think he needs to have reduced gametime. So O'Bree is the unluckiest to miss out in my lineup.

i think people are too quick to write off ben johnson. he's quick, got a lovely kick and has the ability to shut down some of the opposition's most dangerous players...i think he is a definately starter in our best 22!
0/3 here

B: Alan Toovey Simon Prestigiacomo Harry O'Brien
HB: Heath Shaw Leigh Brown Nick Maxwell
CEN: Dayne Beams Scott Pendlebury Steele Sidebottom
HF: Alan Didak Travis Cloke Leon Davis
F: Paul Medhurst Jack Anthony Tarkyn Lockyer
FOLL: Darren Jolly Shane O'Bree Luke Ball
BENCH: Dane Swan Dale Thomas Josh Fraser Sharrod Wellingham
EMG: Tyson Goldsack Ben Johnson Ben Reid

*1. Wellingham while I don't think he is best 22 quality he should get a place over Goldsack who I rate ahead of him in the 22 because the Western Bull Dogs are a smaller side and he is probably more suited to playing them than an extra medium size defender is.
2. Also have Leigh Brown starting CHB as I see him being a better matchup on Hahn than Reid/ N.Brown at this stage who I think both need to prove themselves for a few weeks at VFL level before they play.
3. JA+Trav+Josh is plenty of height up forward. If Dawes plays superbly over a consistent basis at VFL level or Rus can get on the part for a series of weeks then and only then give them a game at AFL level. If JA pulls up sore before the game then likely L.Brown moves forward and I'd play Goldsack over Reid as the Western Bull Dogs lack quite a bit of size up forward, and with L. Brown in the side he can still move back if need be with Fraser playing deeper in the forwardline.

Pretty flexibly side to work with and many nice combos all of which will work. The selection committee will have some fun with this side this year I'm sure :)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That 22 is going to be very darn close.

FB: Alan Toovey Simon Prestigiacomo Harry O'Brien
HB: Heath Shaw Leigh Brown Nick Maxwell
CEN: Dayne Beams Scott Pendlebury Steele Sidebottom
HF: Alan Didak Travis Cloke Leon Davis
F: Paul Medhurst Jack Anthony Tarkyn Lockyer
FOLL: Darren Jolly Shane O'Bree Luke Ball
BENCH: Dane Swan Dale Thomas Josh Fraser Sharrod Wellingham

I would have liked to have seen J-Mac in there but others have stronger claims.

Either L.Brown or Ben Reid will play. Not both. I think Leroy will get the nod, as a forward would be more use then a backman against the samller Dogs attack. Harry & Maxy can play tall if required but not on BBB Hall.

B: Maxwell (c) - Presti - O'Brien
HB: Shaw - Reid - Wellingham
C: Thomas - Swan - Beams
HF: Didak - Cloke - Lockyer
F: Davis - Anthony - Fraser
Foll: Jolly - Ball - Pendlebury
Inter: O'Bree - Sidebottom - Goldsack - Medhurst
Emg: Johnson - Toovey - L.Brown

Toovey vs Goldsack vs Wellingham is the main problem we have. 2 out of the 3 will play, it could go anyway, I've left Toovs out but who knows. I also cant see how Johnno will sneak in for round 1.

B: Maxwell (c) - Presti - O'Brien
HB: Shaw - Reid - Wellingham
C: Thomas - Swan - Beams
HF: Didak - Cloke - Lockyer
F: Davis - Anthony - Fraser
Foll: Jolly - Ball - Pendlebury
Inter: O'Bree - Sidebottom - Goldsack - Medhurst
Emg: Johnson - Toovey - L.Brown

Toovey vs Goldsack vs Wellingham is the main problem we have. 2 out of the 3 will play, it could go anyway, I've left Toovs out but who knows. I also cant see how Johnno will sneak in for round 1.

Has Reid done enough to get a game? I think not... plus the dogs only have 1 tall forward in hall... simple no need for a tall chb against dogs.

obrien maxwell can fill that role..

wellingham is not in our best 22 period. and he is not a defender..he doesnt have a defensive bone in his body

This is my team for round 1: FB: toovey presti goldsack. HB: Shaw maxwell O'brien. C: Didak swan sidebottom. HF: Thomas cloke davis. FF: Medhurst Fraser Anthony. FOLL: Jolly ball pendles. IC: Beams O'bree wellingham L. Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

Our Best 22 boys for round 1 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back