Opinion Our grand final drought breeds negativity

Remove this Banner Ad

A piece of the club's soul truly did die when we didn't take action after the Tippett saga. That was the footy gods' LAST warning for us to change our culture for good - we'd had plenty of warnings before that. We ignored them.

This is despite many astute minds nothing that the administration was on the nose years before the Tippett saga. YEARS before.

The lack of action after Tippett confirmed some supporters' worst fears about the club being insular and deluded about its own performance. I remember having a conversation with Wood_Duck around the time of the Tippett saga, saying that it promised to be the best fork in the road our club could hope for, because finally we could get some change in the administration, direction and culture of the club, which had suffered for too long. Finally we would be forced to take action. Almost like the final stages of an abusive relationship, where something so untenable happens that leaving is the only option.

But the status quo still remained.

We didn't have the courage to leave the abusive relationship when the final untenable piece of abuse occurred. We still stayed.

We are now a damaged club.

A piece of the club's soul truly did die when we didn't take action after the Tippett saga. That was the footy gods' LAST warning for us to change our culture for good - we'd had plenty of warnings before that. We ignored them.

...We are now a damaged club.

thanks for that post... and it seems - we are the kids caught up in it!

Big difference between playing in a Grand Final and winning one. In my opinion there are 2 very important stats:

#1 stat should be premierships.

#2 stat is how often you finish top 4.
Sando the other day said our aim in a season is to make the top 8 and if we make top 4, that's a bonus..... o_O
A bonus?
I'll say it again, o_O
Yep, o_O

Top 8 sells a good story, top 4 you can write the story..

Top 4 is not a bonus if you want to be a successful club, top 4 is a requirement if you want to challenge for what matters..
But unfortunately they seem to enjoy selling a good story and keeping various people of interest happy, success is measured in different medicine cups at the AFC.. :(

So what does keeping a CEO for 13 years, and a coach for 7 say it all mean?

If you are going to make blanket calls, maybe quantify what you mean. Because having a CEO for 13 years DOESN'T say you are destined for failure.
If it looks like a blanket call to you it's because you've misinterpreted it as such, if you read the post I quoted it's quite clear what I meant, but for discussion's sake I'll try to explain it.

Carl's original post had "The drought might not be unique, our level of comfort with it is what's unique", to this I added "We held on to a coach for seven years and a CEO for thirteen, says it all really" as evidence. Now I'm fairly comfortable in the fact that it's obvious that my comment is not saying that having a CEO/Coach for a long time is a problem, but rather that being comfortable with a having CEO/Coach for so long despite neither delivering a single grandfinal appearance in their time is the problem, and the fact that we held on to both for unusually long stints is a sign of that level of comfort Carl was referring to.

As far as I'm concerned if a CEO/Coach is doing their job well then I'm quite content with having them indefinitely.;)

Last edited:
Being 1

This is despite many astute minds nothing that the administration was on the nose years before the Tippett saga. YEARS before.

The lack of action after Tippett confirmed some supporters' worst fears about the club being insular and deluded about its own performance. I remember having a conversation with Wood_Duck around the time of the Tippett saga, saying that it promised to be the best fork in the road our club could hope for, because finally we could get some change in the administration, direction and culture of the club, which had suffered for too long. Finally we would be forced to take action. Almost like the final stages of an abusive relationship, where something so untenable happens that leaving is the only option.

But the status quo still remained.

We didn't have the courage to leave the abusive relationship when the final untenable piece of abuse occurred. We still stayed.

We are now a damaged club.
Damaged club give a break

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Our grand final drought breeds negativity

Remove this Banner Ad

Back