Our major weakness...

Remove this Banner Ad

Smokin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Yea we had a dog of a day all round really, yet still can blame nobody but ourselves after we have more of the footy, more inside 50's and more scoring shots. But, we are defintiely coming together - the pieces slotting nicely in, there is clearly a more defensive side to our game these days, and while I was somewhat sceptical with Knights 12 months ago, I am seeing where he is going with this.

IMO the one area which is sticking out to me, is the transition from attack to defense.

Our zone is developing and can hold its on it seems these days, and when we break the game open we can look a million dollars. Our skills are getting better, even though you wouldnt thinkso watching yesterday.

But, to me we break down severly when we lose the ball, turn it over whatever.

North were very good at not committing everything including the kitchen sink when going forward, and could move into position a lot faster than we could.

By the 2nd half this was the main area of the game I had the secondary interesting, first being the actual game.

When we go inside 50, we seem to go flat stick, all players pin their ears back run forwards at a million miles per hour. At that stage, North would hold back, and start their defensive structure then. Making it harder for us than it was for then on the rebound.

North had to do this, because we can be very quick to go from defending to attacking.

I noticed with Carlton too, they would form the old fashioned wall across the midfield, and development was clear while they still had it.

We seem a bit late on this, and there is a huge scope for improvement there.

Our backline too often becomes too open and easy for opposing forwads, leaving our defenders out to try.

But this to me is the natural progression Knights is taking us. Flat out attack first, now when we have time to set our defensive zone is much better than last season, individually our backline is getting there albeit with a bunch of kids.

I see, from a holistic approach, that this area is the next step.

no doubt skills have to be up to scratch, but I think we get exposed more on turnovers than most.

Cant find a turnover stat, for for errors, as bad as we played on the weekend, these teams had more errors: Bris, Coll, Syd, Carl, Haw, Port, Freo, WCE, Foots. Thats over half the comp.

We just seem to committ everyone forward when we have it, which proves disasterous if we cough it up.

Kicking efficiency is the major problem. Our game will fall to shreads (like yesterday) if we can't hit targets, and there are quite a few that still do it.

Agreed:thumbsu:

Can't win premierships with poor kicking skills.

Also good kicking skills prevent many turnovers.

The game plan needs great foot skills to succeed. Hopefully once the list matures a bit we should see better skills as the players become more experienced.

no doubt skills have to be up to scratch, but I think we get exposed more on turnovers than most.

Cant find a turnover stat, for for errors, as bad as we played on the weekend, these teams had more errors: Bris, Coll, Syd, Carl, Haw, Port, Freo, WCE, Foots. Thats over half the comp.

We just seem to committ everyone forward when we have it, which proves disasterous if we cough it up.

Turn overs are turnovers.
Does not matter if you are running 3 forward or 5 forward you are always going to get torched.
Richmond , Melbourne and Freo all get torched pretty badly from turnovers and they do not run as many players forward in offence.
Maybe the issue is we get hurt by handball errors more than most sides. They are the worst to recover from. You get 3 or 4 guys running forwards and someone stuffs up a 1 meter handball and in a split second the footy is traveling the other way.

It all comes down to better skills and decision making when you have the ball in your hands.

Our major weakness is our bottom 6 players aren't good enough. It's as simple as that.

You can highlight poor kicks, handballs, missed marks all you like but when don't get enough contribution you will always be worse off.

Fix the quality of depth and we will see an increase in skill.

Our major weakness is our bottom 6 players aren't good enough. It's as simple as that.

You can highlight poor kicks, handballs, missed marks all you like but when don't get enough contribution you will always be worse off.

Fix the quality of depth and we will see an increase in skill.

Well done captain obvious :rolleyes:

I never thought that drafting beter players would fix the problem with a clubs list.
I hope you do not spend too much time thinking about the dribble you keep coming up with.
Seriously who would have thought that having too many non contributing players ( passengers ) would cost you games.
Wow you are a genius :rolleyes:

Godforbid someone is allowed to voice their opinion on this site.

God forbid those who seem to think their opinon can't be challenged :rolleyes:
It's a forum and not a storage facility for random thoughts.

Well done captain obvious :rolleyes:

I never thought that drafting beter players would fix the problem with a clubs list.
I hope you do not spend too much time thinking about the dribble you keep coming up with.
Seriously who would have thought that having too many non contributing players ( passengers ) would cost you games.
Wow you are a genius :rolleyes:

It's not obvious to most of you blokes on here. You keep on dribbling about the fact that we need to play kids and get 20 elite guys through the draft.

Imagine if we had Buddy Franklin in our side. Half this board would be asking for him to be traded because he can't kick that well and his clanger rate is high. :rolleyes:

Your acceptance of playing Quinn is basically pot luck list management.

The Saints are showing everyone how it's done. Astute recruiting, strong bodies and a win at all costs mentality.

It's not obvious to most of you blokes on here. You keep on dribbling about the fact that we need to play kids and get 20 elite guys through the draft.

Imagine if we had Buddy Franklin in our side. Half this board would be asking for him to be traded because he can't kick that well and his clanger rate is high. :rolleyes:

Your acceptance of playing Quinn is basically pot luck list management.

The Saints are showing everyone how it's done. Astute recruiting, strong bodies and a win at all costs mentality.

I've always thought that the reason the saints have never been a real contender for the last 6 years despite have a great list of stars is that their worst 6 players were probably the worst in the comp, guys like Fiora, Schwartz, Raph Clarke etc.

Maybe Lyon has addressed that by recruiting some mature players like Ray, Schneider, King etc.

I haven't actually seen them play this year TBH, but something must have changed, because they are absolutely dominating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do not. FFS we did not field a team of kids.
Did we not include two players for Sundays game with over 100 games experience for two players who had under 10 !!!
Trouble is your boof head can not see the forrest from the tree's.

kelvin_sheedy said:

WTF has this got to do with anything.

kelvin_sheedy said:
Your acceptance of playing Quinn is basically pot luck list management

Its not just about Quin. Its about getting a balance between playing the young players along with the experienced. So far Quinn has proven he is a mile in front of where he should be so it is not pot luck managment.
It is about developing the whole list

The Saints are showing everyone how it's done. Astute recruiting, strong bodies and a win at all costs mentality

Yep looking good so far but how many years under Lyon has it taken to get the side to this point ?
One of the Saints problems under Thomas was they did not give enough young blokes a go.
The flip side Kelvin is how good are Pears , Dempsey , Daniher, Hurley etc going to look with pretty much full seasons under their belt and another pre season.
The Saints had the strong bodies last year. the difference so far this year is they now have their outside guys like Montagna , Milne and Dal Santo also working hard in the defensive side of things.
They are also having success because Lyon has backed young blokes like Jones and Geary over the last coupls of seasons.

King - 219 games
Hayes - 195 games
Milne - 169 games
Riewoldt - 162 games
Baker - 158 games
Dal Santo - 148 games
Gardiner - 142 games
Blake - 140 games
Ball - 126 games
Koschitzke - 123 games
Schneider - 121 games
Goddard - 117 games
Montagna - 102 games
Fisher - 100 games
Gram - 81 games
Ray - 79 games
Gilbert - 43 games
McQualter - 39 games
Jones - 30 games
Gwilt - 30 games
Geary - 14 games
Dawson - 18 games

Compared to Essendon:

Fletcher - 298 games
Lucas - 260 games
Lloyd - 256 games
McVeigh - 177 games
McPhee - 149 games
Hille - 148 games
Stanton - 102 games
Monfries - 76 games
Watson - 76 games
Lovett - 70 games
Dyson - 68 games
Winderlich - 60 games
Ryder - 56 games
Slattery - 56 games
Skipworth - 48 games
Nash - 43 games
Davey - 23 games
Dempsey - 14 games
Pears - 9 games
Daniher - 6 games
Zaharakis - 3 games
Quinn - 2 games

St. Kilda = 14 players 100+ games
Essendon = 7 players 100+ games
St. Kilda = 0 players < 10 games
Essendon = 4 players < 10 games

Back to this topic, anyone else listen to SEN during the game last night?

Eddie pulled out a stat which highlighted my original thoughts on this thread. In the past X weeks (didnt catch the number) Essendon has had the least number of turnovers in the competition, yet most goals conceeded by direct turnovers.

Incredible stat.

And its not like we have had much less ball, or opportunities. Port the only team to have more inside 50's against us, and I think Freo had one more.

On this, our structure last night was much more balanced and more defensive attitude towards it, without letting go of our attacking flare.

I still think this delicate blend of offense/defense is a major part in our key going forward.

Going forward, we are much better off playing like last night all the time, not just when we cleary had Buddy and Roughy in the back of our minds.

Not even Geelong are flat stick, 100mph ALL the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our major weakness...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back