M Crouch
Jacobs
Talia
Smith
Walker
Betts
L Brown
Lever

Under Walsh that core group can be Top 4 in 2017 with another key defender and ruck/forward, plus peripheral players.

I don't think Lynch, Jenkins, Van Berlo, Wright, Henderson make it.

- Jaensch is a gun, anyone who has watched us play must surely see this. He's in our top 10-15 players easily.
- Cameron not effective enough up forward? 3.4 last week. We play like shit this week and all of a sudden he's a spud. What was it 39 scoring shots from 14 games? There's every chance he would be in our future premiership side.
- Lynch is a good player, should not be put in the same basket as Jenkins, Wright and VB

After the a Sydney Hawthorn Freo premiership windows finish in a few years, GWS will dominate the competition. If you look at Hawthorn as the most recent powerhouse and the top ten picks playing for them, then compare the GWS list for top ten picks and even their reserves list for top picks it is scary!

Sigh. And if that all comes to fruition, they'll win one, two, three who knows how many flags. All 12,000 of their supporters have a jolly old time and the other two million footy supporters miss out. Whoopdy-do, AFL :rolleyes:

I really think no one at the club is too fussed about this year at all. Its all about ground work and seeing who can handle the heat. You even hear it in Roo's commentary. He seems to not give a rat's tossbag. But every now and then he comes out with something quite pointed, like VB being fumbly and poor hands and would want to hope he gets his shit together or Jenkins being too soft at the contest for a big man. We are definitely playing a long game and I reckon there will be a fair amount of axe wielding this year

Unfortunately I cannot see us winning a premiership for a long time. I love my club and the players but I just don't think we have the talent to be a dominant team. And as long as we keep finishing between 4th and 10th, it's unlikely we'll pick up enough elite young talent to get there.

Watching GWS today has got me in this depressing mood.

Watching the Hawks vs Swans game, my mind started wondering back to the Gunston trade in 2011.

IIRC - we basically ended up with Kerridge and Jenkins for Gunston.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and its safe to say, we lost that trade.

At the time, I was very critical of that trade and felt we were bent over the table and were way too willing to accept unders. However, theusual "yes men" on this board started swcreaming and yelling and talking louder and more often that the club is always right and they know what they are doing and told me i was wrong and we needed to wait.

well - we have waited, we have watched and we have analysed the trade and it is now evident, Gunston is a star and would be a very worthy wingman to Walker. A forward line of Walker, Betts, Gunston would be a step in the right direction for a premiership.

These are the trades that we need to win to become a legitimate premiership thread but like usual, we don't win them and trade for players with very noticable deficiencies.

Chaney is not a key defender as he is way too short and Lowden will be a masive bust.

We must start winning some trades to make out team better.

It's very unusual to win a trade when a player walks out and says I'm going to X club. Tough shitnif you don't like it.

Sigh. And if that all comes to fruition, they'll win one, two, three who knows how many flags. All 12,000 of their supporters have a jolly old time and the other two million footy supporters miss out. Whoopdy-do, AFL :rolleyes:

Watch the bandwagoners who couldn't even name the players on their own team jump in just as they're about to win a flag....

F: Cameron (M) - Walker - Betts
HF: Lynch (M) - unknown - Douglas (M)
C: Sloane - Crouch sn - Smith
HB: Brown (M) - unknown - Lever
FB: Laird - Talia - Kelly (M)
Ruck: Jacob - Sloane - Dangerfield

Interchange: Grigg (M) - CEY (M) - Matt Crouch - unknown

(M) = Maybe

IMO - we need to find another key forward, someone who can play that full forward / centre half forward role and rotate with Walker. Jenkins is not this player.

We need a CHB to help Lever and Talia. I do not beleive we have this player on our liat right now. We will have to obtain him via a trade or draft. A draft picked player will be 5 years away from playing their best footy.

Players IMO who should be moved on over the next few years

Pods
Reilly
Jenkins
thompson
VB
Jaensch
Wright
Hartigan
Siggins
Otten
Cheney
Shaw
Lowden
Martin

Some of the players I put in my side are borderline and could be moved oin if we get a few good drafts and trades.

We are still a number of years away from a flag and some very difficult decisions need to be made.

but what do we do with the milk man?

Unfortunately I cannot see us winning a premiership for a long time. I love my club and the players but I just don't think we have the talent to be a dominant team. And as long as we keep finishing between 4th and 10th, it's unlikely we'll pick up enough elite young talent to get there.

Today's performance was a good start to accessing that elite talent :)

You are entitled to your opinion on the subject but I don't rate him and watching the him play last year or this year, that has not chaged.

He plays one of the easiest roles in the AFL as a half back flanker and is very rarely accountable for a direct forward. He isn't in my long term crows side.
We lack players who run with the ball and kick it well, it was clear we lacked this v GWS, I liked the rest of your summary but Jaensch has proven himself

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The GWS is a non event. They will have a few good years due to the players the AFL gave them and then as their better players either move on or get too old they will become a non event of a club. They will probably fold within 10 years when the next generation of AFL administrators decide they don't want to throw millions of dollars a year at them to keep them afloat.

It's very unusual to win a trade when a player walks out and says I'm going to X club. Tough shitnif you don't like it.

Over time, if it becomes habitual and judging by the past at the Crows - poor trading decisions - it has, we will become a easy pushover. Clubs know we will fold like a pack of cards and accept massive unders on trades.

We lack players who run with the ball and kick it well, it was clear we lacked this v GWS, I liked the rest of your summary but Jaensch has proven himself

We have plenty of players who can run and carry the ball. We just don't have elite players who can run and carry the ball.

Look, if you are satisfied with Matthew Jaensch does and you beleive his best will be good enought to help us become a top 4 side - good for you but he is not elite, he is not close to becoming an AA player and I doubtr he would be a SA SOO player. He is no different to any other half back flankers from 12 or 13 bottom clubs.

Heck, he doesn't even do what Jasper does.

We have plenty of players who can run and carry the ball. We just don't have elite players who can run and carry the ball.

Look, if you are satisfied with Matthew Jaensch does and you beleive his best will be good enought to help us become a top 4 side - good for you but he is not elite, he is not close to becoming an AA player and I doubtr he would be a SA SOO player. He is no different to any other half back flankers from 12 or 13 bottom clubs.

Heck, he doesn't even do what Jasper does.
Adelaide
Eddie Betts, Patrick Dangerfield, Sam Jacobs, Rory Sloane, Brodie Smith, Daniel Talia

These are our elite players based on 2014

Hawthorn
Grant Birchall, Luke Breust, Shaun Burgoyne, Josh Gibson, Jack Gunston, Cyril Rioli, Jarryd Roughead, Matt Suckling

We have 3 less elite players than Hawthorn. What Hawthorn do have is plenty of very good supporting players who step up. (Hodge and Lewis unlucky to miss out and based on this year will likely push into the elite list).

Jaensch has pushed himself into this category of player. Apart from GWS and GC it's near impossible to build an entire list of "elite" talent.

Yesterday's game was more about having 11 players with less than 50 games experience against a team that only had 4 players with less than 50 games. Injuries are ruining our season at this stage. We had about the same number of game son average as GWS (75 vs 74) but take out Thompson and we're 10 games fewer on average. A lot of our young guys are being asked to develop and deliver without a good support network of experienced players around them. Given all that, I think it's hard to judge who out there will be in our next premiership team.

Another thing I reckon is worth considering is that all premiership teams contain some players that the supporters deem as spuds. Aaron Keating, Chad Rintoul, James Thiessen, Andrew Eccles, Ben Marsh and Clay Sampson are hardly names to fill an opposition team with dread, but they all have premiership medallions for the Adelaide footy club. So I don't think we need to move on 50% of our playing list to get a premiership squad together.

B: Kelly - Talia - Brown
HB: Laird - TBD - Lever
C: Smith - B.Crouch - TBD
HF: Lynch - Walker - Cameron
F: Betts - TBD - TBD
R: Jacobs - Dangerfield - Sloane
I: M.Crouch - Kerridge - Douglas - Grigg

For me we're missing obviously two keys in a second tall to Talia and a second tall to Walker who's 197+cm and can actually take pack marks and average 15+ hit outs a game too. Outside speed on the wing is a must. I know it wouldn't happen but for example Isaac Smith from Hawthorn is the perfect fit for our 22 then another medium forward who can play tall and small somewhat similar to Lynch.

Some people might disagree with the likes of Brown, M.Crouch, Cameron, Kerridge and Grigg but all 5 are very unique and have proven at some point exactly why we need them and to persist with them. Luke Brown is a great small defender despite what people think but both defensively and offensively Laird is better in my eyes but not by much.

Adelaide
Eddie Betts, Patrick Dangerfield, Sam Jacobs, Rory Sloane, Brodie Smith, Daniel Talia

These are our elite players based on 2014

Hawthorn
Grant Birchall, Luke Breust, Shaun Burgoyne, Josh Gibson, Jack Gunston, Cyril Rioli, Jarryd Roughead, Matt Suckling

We have 3 less elite players than Hawthorn. What Hawthorn do have is plenty of very good supporting players who step up. (Hodge and Lewis unlucky to miss out and based on this year will likely push into the elite list).

Jaensch has pushed himself into this category of player. Apart from GWS and GC it's near impossible to build an entire list of "elite" talent.

No one is saying we can build an elite list, we jiust need someone superior to him.

I wouldn't get down about it. GWS had more first rounders in their starting 18 than most clubs would have had in the past 30 years, the AFL were way to generous with GWS in that regard. If they are coached right the next five to X amount of years will be the Giants dominating the AFL and every other club trying to play catch-up, it won't be just us struggling to make the grade.

We are a long way off. One of the things that has put us in that position is the board's number one priority being to make the finals every year. As long as that is achieved no changes need to be made. Look at Craig. Longest serving coach because he was a consistently got us into the finals. When he no longer could, gone. Every other coach, miss finals two years in a row, gone.

We are not going to win a premiership without a long term strategy. We need to do what Bulldogs, Port have done, that is prepare your list to be in the Premiership window in 5-6 years time. To do that you need early draft picks. Get them straight from the draft or trade them in. The Bulldogs had a few good players but their list was not going to get them a premiership any time soon. What did they do? Traded most of their good players (who probably wouldn't be around anyway by the time they were able to have a tilt) for early draft picks. Now they've leapfrogged us. Port got a lot of early picks when they slumped to the bottom of the ladder. But they had a vision and traded for even more players that were early picks at other clubs. Now they are right up there. GWS showed what a team full of good players can do.

Eddy Betts has been great and he will help us get into the finals. But will he be around when we play in our next grand final? I don't think so. Who in the current team would be in our next premiership team? Talia, Crouch and Crouch perhaps. All the others are not good enough or will be retired or traded. (A bit harsh as some ordinary players can be carried by a great team.) Although I am very fond of Sloan, Smith, Dangerfield, Tex, by the time they get enough good players around them to give them the support they deserve they will probably be too old. Really these are the players we need to trade to bring in elite young talent.

This is one but not the only route to a grand final.

The GWS is a non event. They will have a few good years due to the players the AFL gave them and then as their better players either move on or get too old they will become a non event of a club. They will probably fold within 10 years when the next generation of AFL administrators decide they don't want to throw millions of dollars a year at them to keep them afloat.
For the sake of the rest of the league, I actually hope you're right. I'm just personally opposed to chucking a new club in the wrong place (the west Sydney area, AKA soccer and rugby world), and then heaping talent on it to bring success. It's like planting a tree in barren soil and then using all your fertiliser on it, at the expense of the ones in good soil. I love Australian rules, but I'm also realistic and I don't care about expanding into states where no one gives a stuff about it. To be frank about my opinion, SA, WA, Tasmania and Victoria deserve to have AFL clubs because footy is part of our culture. It is not part of the culture of NSW or Queensland, so the AFL shouldn't try to artificially make it so with draft concessions and COLA. That was a bit off-topic, I admit, but it's what I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our next premiership team..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back