Strategy Our Next Senior Coach: 2019 & Beyond... is Matthew Nicks

Our next senior coach...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

no, I just want the best coach available. I dont want burns just because he's from SA. it's ok, I know roo will get the best man for the job and not fall for the "he's from SA" bs.

a lot of people are saying burns. tell me why.

I've given my reasons for caracella. highly rated assistant coach who was involved in the geelong and richmond premierships. also won grand finals as a player so he knows what it takes.

whats burns done besides playing at collingwood and being an assistant coach at a few clubs? why isnt matthew nicks just as popular as burns? he's just as relevant. oh wait, he's not from SA.

I think he's progressed a fair bit since he was in consideration for us.

For me it is Scott Burns.

By all reports he was honest a out oir list when interviewed after Craigy.

Has been an assistant under some decent coaches. With a stint under Clarko this year.

Anyone else, meh.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Did he start this year or last year with Hawks? He was 4 years at Collingwood 2014,2015,2016,2017 then moved to Hawks.

Comfortable with Burns as our coach. Not excited or ecstatic, or anything like that. Just OK with it.

My main concern is that he hasn't experienced much team success as an assistant coach.

West Coast 2009-2013, played finals twice
Collingwood 2014-2017, did not play finals
Hawthorn 2018-2019, played finals once

Currently there is no indication of the direction the club will head for a new coach 2020 but one thing may prove to be sure is the club will not pick a coach by fan’s popularity.

It really boils down to the conflict of whether the club believes they are still in a premiership window or in need of a re-build (quick one).

What I mean by this is:
  • If we believe we are in a window, we may attain a veteran coach or poach a proven coach with $$$
  • If we are in a quick rebuild then an unproven coach and we will pay the $$$ to hire a director of coaching or even a likely succession plan etc.
Uncommon names of unproven risks we may look at:
  • Danny Daly
  • Jaymie Graham (Smokey)
  • Brad Miller
  • Marty Mattner (Smokey under succession plan)
My opinion & prediction:

Dany Daly, If he is unattainable due to no interest to coach at top level then Brett Montgomery would be worth looking into if there is a decent director of coaching appointed.

However, I think the club will play it safe and appoint either:
  • Justin Longmuir
  • Nathan Bassett
Selection panel to be announced soon

If we still think we are in a premiership window or that all we need is a small list overhaul we are stuffe and it isnt going to matter who we appoint next.

Did he start this year or last year with Hawks? He was 4 years at Collingwood 2014,2015,2016,2017 then moved to Hawks.
This year. He has been at WCE, Collingwood and one year with Clarko.

His stint at Collingwood is an experience we need in a coach.

They went through a rebuild during that time. The media banging on about sacking Bucks, but internally they knew what they were doing. Burns played a part in that and it is what we need to do now.

When you are on the right course having the conviction to stay on it rather than falling to outside (media) noise is a strength.

Our club is not on the right course right now. However Cwood were and just shows how wrong the media can be at times as I bet everyone internal to Cwood knew the course they were on. And had the strength to discount the outside noise.

Burns will need to bring that strength. I doubt we will have the spike we traditionally have with a new coach next year. Which may be a good thing in the long run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no, I just want the best coach available. I dont want burns just because he's from SA. it's ok, I know roo will get the best man for the job and not fall for the "he's from SA" bs.

a lot of people are saying burns. tell me why.

I've given my reasons for caracella. highly rated assistant coach who was involved in the geelong and richmond premierships. also won grand finals as a player so he knows what it takes.

whats burns done besides playing at collingwood and being an assistant coach at a few clubs? why isnt matthew nicks just as popular as burns? he's just as relevant. oh wait, he's not from SA.
Has Nicks worked with Clarko.

That is the difference for me.

This year. He has been at WCE, Collingwood and one year with Clarko.

His stint at Collingwood is an experience we need in a coach.

They went through a rebuild during that time. The media banging on about sacking Bucks, but internally they knew what they were doing. Burns played a part in that and it is what we need to do now.

When you are on the right course having the conviction to stay on it rather than falling to outside (media) noise is a strength.

Our club is not on the right course right now. However Cwood were and just shows how wrong the media can be at times as I bet everyone internal to Cwood knew the course they were on. And had the strength to discount the outside noise.

Burns will need to bring that strength. I doubt we will have the spike we traditionally have with a new coach next year. Which may be a good thing in the long run.

Given he recommended it the first time around, I'll assume he's also a coach who is willing to make a rebuild call and play youth to get it done.

why has caracalla not being mentioned a lot? or have I just missed his name?

slightly left field: entice Sam Mitchell to start his head coaching career a year or 2 earlier than expected. Put Ross Lyon above him in Burtons role but with an emphasis on being a coaching director (pre Burton Noble was footy manager with an emphasis on list management with Burton running fitness. Then when burton was made the head guy that said that role would have bigger focus on the fitness side with Ried in charge of list management, so the primary scope tf that role at our club is open to a tweak like that)

I think Mitchell will be a great coach, he would also be a really good fit for our list at this point in time and with a strong helper there he could grow with the role/the list.

why has caracalla not being mentioned a lot? or have I just missed his name?

slightly left field: entice Sam Mitchell to start his head coaching career a year or 2 earlier than expected. Put Ross Lyon above him in Burtons role but with an emphasis on being a coaching director (pre Burton Noble was footy manager with an emphasis on list management with Burton running fitness. Then when burton was made the head guy that said that role would have bigger focus on the fitness side with Ried in charge of list management, so the primary scope tf that role at our club is open to a tweak like that)

I think Mitchell will be a great coach, he would also be a really good fit for our list at this point in time and with a strong helper there he could grow with the role/the list.

Would love this but just cant see it happening.

Currently there is no indication of the direction the club will head for a new coach 2020 but one thing may prove to be sure is the club will not pick a coach by fan’s popularity.

It really boils down to the conflict of whether the club believes they are still in a premiership window or in need of a re-build (quick one).

What I mean by this is:
  • If we believe we are in a window, we may attain a veteran coach or poach a proven coach with $$$
  • If we are in a quick rebuild then an unproven coach and we will pay the $$$ to hire a director of coaching or even a likely succession plan etc.
Uncommon names of unproven risks we may look at:
  • Danny Daly
  • Jaymie Graham (Smokey)
  • Brad Miller
  • Marty Mattner (Smokey under succession plan)
My opinion & prediction:

Dany Daly, If he is unattainable due to no interest to coach at top level then Brett Montgomery would be worth looking into if there is a decent director of coaching appointed.

However, I think the club will play it safe and appoint either:
  • Justin Longmuir
  • Nathan Bassett
Selection panel to be announced soon
I love the look of Daly, but unfortunately he had prostate cancer earlier this year and given the history of our coaches, I can't see us taking that risk.

My main concern is that he hasn't experienced much team success as an assistant coach.

West Coast 2009-2013, played finals twice
Collingwood 2014-2017, did not play finals
Hawthorn 2018-2019, played finals once

At this stage, finals experience success is not required. We need a coach capable of rebuilding our team and how to go about it.

One could argue that he has been a part of the "successful rebuild" at those Clubs, so knows what it takes to get to a Grand Final.

Eagles played in a GF in 2015.

Pies in 2018.

I want ross just for the shats and giggles. Need a bit of humour

True.

I would hate to be like Carlton and be irrelevant for the better part of 15+ years.

For the lists that he has had, imo he did get the best out of them, ie grand finals appearances. Lets not forget both those GF teams of his, had their chances deep in the last quarter to win it.

What may shy the Crows away from him is his off field character and reputation.

Walsh was left field appointment. Pyke was left field appointment. The same crew, minus Noble, will be selecting another coach. I dont think anyone is a "lock".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back