Strategy Our Next Senior Coach: 2019 & Beyond... is Matthew Nicks

Our next senior coach...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
True.

I would hate to be like Carlton and be irrelevant for the better part of 15+ years.

For the lists that he has had, imo he did get the best out of them, ie grand finals appearances. Lets not forget both those GF teams of his, had their chances deep in the last quarter to win it.

What may shy the Crows away from him is his off field character and reputation.
How good would the Ross/Rucci press conferences have been 5 years ago? Now that Rucci is completely irrelevant it loses the possibility, but gee they would have been fun.

Bolton worked with Clarko.....
One failure.

No one can know how any of these assistants could go until they get the job.

But for me grabbing one who has worked with Clarko is a safer bet than one who hasn't. Look at the record since 2016 of former Clarko Assistants.

Look.at the top eight this year.

He knows how to teach coaches how to coach.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Can anyone with insight provide a summary of what we might expect from Scott burns as coach ? His cv is impressive but I don’t know much about him. Is he a players coach if more of a hard a&se? Whats he like as a communicator?

This year. He has been at WCE, Collingwood and one year with Clarko.

His stint at Collingwood is an experience we need in a coach.

They went through a rebuild during that time. The media banging on about sacking Bucks, but internally they knew what they were doing. Burns played a part in that and it is what we need to do now.

When you are on the right course having the conviction to stay on it rather than falling to outside (media) noise is a strength.

Our club is not on the right course right now. However Cwood were and just shows how wrong the media can be at times as I bet everyone internal to Cwood knew the course they were on. And had the strength to discount the outside noise.

Burns will need to bring that strength. I doubt we will have the spike we traditionally have with a new coach next year. Which may be a good thing in the long run.

'West Coast premiership defender Darren Glass will join Burns at the Hawks in 2018, complementing Brett Ratten and Adem Yze as coach Alastair Clarkson's most trusted lieutenants."

He's been at the Hawks for two seasons. Was at Collingwood for 4.

'West Coast premiership defender Darren Glass will join Burns at the Hawks in 2018, complementing Brett Ratten and Adem Yze as coach Alastair Clarkson's most trusted lieutenants."

Even better.... I thought it was only 2019.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stark contrast to our coaching panel;

Hawthorn
Clarkson
Ratten
Burns
Glass
Yze

Adelaide
Pyke
Camporeale
Mattner
Godden
Hart

And yet we constantly claim the soft cap is the reason we can't have more experienced coaches. Gee Hawthorn's extra bill for going over the soft cap must be $$$$$$$$$$

Comfortable with Burns as our coach. Not excited or ecstatic, or anything like that. Just OK with it.

My main concern is that he hasn't experienced much team success as an assistant coach.

West Coast 2009-2013, played finals twice
Collingwood 2014-2017, did not play finals
Hawthorn 2018-2019, played finals once

I feel he’s a bit of a safe conservative option. He just lacks something from the vision I’ve seen, including that clip someone posted above.

Doesn’t strike me as a crazy genius (like Walsh)
Doesn’t really strike me as a down to earth character the players will love (like Rutten or Teague)
And he doesn’t strike me as a hard ass (like Lyon)

Just seems a bit boring

Matthew Nicks would be my preferred candidate.....someone that fully understands the pressures that come with coaching in the 2 team fishbowl that is Adelaide.
Has worked in the development department before moving into the Assistant's role and has been Head Assistant at both the Power and GWS.

A tough, hard no nonsense footballer that I would think would coach his team the same way

i would probably go Burns-Sumich-Vozzo combo.

Sumich is probably the most qualified person who hasn't coached before, deserves a chance.
If we can get Hodge to bee a part of it too, would be a great box.

And yet we constantly claim the soft cap is the reason we can't have more experienced coaches. Gee Hawthorn's extra bill for going over the soft cap must be $$$$$$$$$$

Any Victorian coach at Hawthorn would want a decent payrise to come to us to do the same role. That's how the soft cap hinders us from getting interstate talent.

Matthew Nicks would be my preferred candidate.....someone that fully understands the pressures that come with coaching in the 2 team fishbowl that is Adelaide.
Has worked in the development department before moving into the Assistant's role and has been Head Assistant at both the Power and GWS.

A tough, hard no nonsense footballer that I would think would coach his team the same way
I looked at him too. Its an interesting comparison to Scott Burns who has been at (arguably) better clubs under better coaches for longer.

Burns would have learnt a fair bit with Buckleys transformation as a coach and then 2 years under Clarkos genius brain.

Nicks has been getting some good wraps too though.

Stark contrast to our coaching panel;

Hawthorn
Clarkson
Ratten
Burns
Glass
Yze

Adelaide
Pyke
Camporeale
Mattner
Godden
Hart

Only Ratten is at St Kilda now? Not sure when that happened.

Any Victorian coach at Hawthorn would want a decent payrise to come to us to do the same role. That's how the soft cap hinders us from getting interstate talent.

We hinder ourselves by employing spuds and then having to employ others to clean up their mess.

i would probably go Burns-Sumich-Vozzo combo.

Sumich is probably the most qualified person who hasn't coached before, deserves a chance.
If we can get Hodge to bee a part of it too, would be a great box.
I agree re Sumich but isn't he favoured for the Freo job?

Are we expecting Freo to name their new coach this week? They'd want to get in before us, surely, in case we snatch their man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back