Strategy Our Next Senior Coach: 2019 & Beyond... is Matthew Nicks

Our next senior coach...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caracella is the man at this point in time to turn things around .
Very smart operator in all areas and hugely rated by all senior coaches around .
I think Caracella , +2 , + Mattner is a very good start .
I have heard very good things about him, would be happy if we ended up with him as our number 1.

Well it's more than just that. How many ruckman have we developed aside from Jacobs under his watch? Has any other ruck come in and improved their game to become AFL standard in that time? Just think how many we've had, and how many have been utter shit. Even Jenkins has not improved one iota since he arrived in the ruck. He is just as awful as he was when he debuted.

And Jacobs came to us effectively ready made from his stint at Carlton.

You might easily brush aside the weird and ineffective tactics we've employed in the ruck over the years but I see that as part of the problem. We continue to use these tactics to this day despite them not working.

On top of this, if he has any involvement at all with our midfield structures at stoppages and how our midfield reads the ruck he should be sacked immediately. We are garbage in that department.
I was going to respond with something similar to this, other than Jacobs (who we poached from Carlton already with some good development), we have failed to develop another top level ruckman. How many rookies have we had come through the system and never go on to the next level. The best we have to show is ROB, who could end up being a solid option but he is never going to be a star.

I was going to respond with something similar to this, other than Jacobs (who we poached from Carlton already with some good development), we have failed to develop another top level ruckman. How many rookies have we had come through the system and never go on to the next level. The best we have to show is ROB, who could end up being a solid option but he is never going to be a star.
Please name the top prospects we've given Doc to work with?

Please name the top prospects we've given Doc to work with?
Foil hat time: We haven't given Doc any top prospects to work so Sauce does not get challenged as #1 ruck.

Evidence: Hamish wanted to draft a ruck prospect couple of seasons ago and got vetoed. We've only had break glass in case of emergency backup rucks for ages.

jmanullang-blogspot-com-scouttinfoilhat6-e2-jpg.566801

He has said many times he won't be joining another afl club.
When he leaves hawthorn that's it for him ..
Same as ol' one club Neil Craig

Then add Melbourne, Essendon, Carlton, Rugby...

Said mostly to head off speculation IMO

Foil hat time: We haven't given Doc any top prospects to work so Sauce does not get challenged as #1 ruck.

Evidence: Hamish wanted to draft a ruck prospect couple of seasons ago and got vetoed. We've only had break glass in case of emergency backup rucks for ages.

jmanullang-blogspot-com-scouttinfoilhat6-e2-jpg.566801
And thank christ he did!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have heard Roo say recently that he would welcome Craigy back anytime, he's an absolute gun, except form a tactical perspective in the coaches box.

And this here is the problem. We're still stuck in the Neil Craig era, we whole heartedly believe that if we stick by his doctrine and with a bit of luck, we'll win premierships. Craig was just unlucky, if it weren't for Hentschel's knee, Parvo virus, Cousins playing out of his skin, Roo's suspension... What should have been... If only we'd just executed the gameplan a little bit better...

We need to move on. You make your own luck and often in the heat of the battle, gameplan goes out the window. This is where we need players who are imaginative, can think on their feet, improvise. We're currently stocked full with solid role players, playing their individual role for the team. Those that had some innovative qualities have had them suffocated out.

We could, though I'd be wondering if that's too much instability for a side, in which considering how much we've locked up in our brigade (some of it stupidly), I'd be quite hesitant about. We're in quite a precarious position right now salary cap wise.

The assistants definitely needs a broom. Does the head coach though? well that i'm not sure about. Pyke has shown to be ok tactically, though starting to become a bit too Hinkley like for my liking (though there is a long time in the season to reverse it). Equally, do we keep trying to win a premiership with this core in 2020 or is it time to give the next generation the keys? Having Pyke as a caretaker for a year or two when we're restructuring wouldn't be the worst, so far shown he has a good touch with development.

You’re probably right re instability. Although I actually wonder if Pykes not better off in a “Head of Football” role. Rune entire department as 2IC to a non-football CEO in Fagan, who can then focus on our organisation as a whole.

Although I’m not sure how it’d go as new coach when your predecessor is now your boss...

Is it that he's been vetoed, or is it that he isn't that great an identifier of ruck talent? Not many are for that matter BTW.
More that he was vetoed (I'm assuming that's true) - this is tin foil hat stuff for why Sauce seems to have a pretty solid golden ticket. We haven't taken a ruck in the main draft since Hamish took over in 2012 and the one time he lobbies for a ruck (that we hear about) he's vetoed.

You’re probably right re instability. Although I actually wonder if Pykes not better off in a “Head of Football” role. Rune entire department as 2IC to a non-football CEO in Fagan, who can then focus on our organisation as a whole.

Although I’m not sure how it’d go as new coach when your predecessor is now your boss...

Yeah, it sounds rather odd, especially seeing that coach would end up being a puppet for Pyke.

Whoever has the balls to say to Fagan - 'Get me some quality assistants and officials rather than this mob of stalagmites, marble statues and rejects.'

But what's the bet the club will deliberately hire someone who will accept the current list of officials and assistants? Don't rock the Burton, Fagan, Chapman etc gravy boat.

Whoever has the balls to say to Fagan - 'Get me some quality assistants and officials rather than this mob of stalagmites, marble statues and rejects.'

But what's the bet the club will deliberately hire someone who will accept the current list of officials and assistants? Don't rock the Burton, Fagan, Chapman etc gravy boat.
The uproar from the Apricot Slicers if we ever got a coach in who did that.......

Would be worth watching

We could probably afford to go coach-less for a season or two at this point in time.
Noone currently listed in AFL coaching ranks will be able to change what we have coming, not even Clarko.Unless the new coach comes with the mandate to appoint new board members, buy and install new football dept of his choosing,as well as having a plan to instill some form of culture that doesn't revolve around the extrernal business networking of ex-players and ancient coitere members but rather traditional F.C values as its basis, we are in for much more of the same but worse. This is just the beginning of the latest cycle of groundhog day for this club.

More that he was vetoed (I'm assuming that's true) - this is tin foil hat stuff for why Sauce seems to have a pretty solid golden ticket. We haven't taken a ruck in the main draft since Hamish took over in 2012 and the one time he lobbies for a ruck (that we hear about) he's vetoed.
I do feel for sauce been through a lot and has been a great player for our club. Clearly needed a backup this yr like port got. Guess afc rate Jenkins as backup but pretty clear he thinks he's a fwd. TBH I'd throw walker down back and fogerty in fwd ... When he stops flattenening guys. Walker too slow to play chf. It's like watching slow motion. Either full f or fb for him.

I do feel for sauce been through a lot and has been a great player for our club. Clearly needed a backup this yr like port got. Guess afc rate Jenkins as backup but pretty clear he thinks he's a fwd. TBH I'd throw walker down back and fogerty in fwd ... When he stops flattenening guys. Walker too slow to play chf. It's like watching slow motion. Either full f or fb for him.
Be better to have someone with aerial marking power at ff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back