Ovens & Murray discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Whispers around the water cooler this morning is that Rovers have parted ways with big ruck recruit Hughes. Something about him getting blind at the season launch on Sat night and making a c*ck of himself, including some alleged derogatory behaviour towards some of the netballers. Pretty firm statement from the club if true, and good on them I say. No place for that crap in today’s society
TF could fill us in here

You have to wonder how Wang can assemble such a good team for so little money.
If Ankers, Reid, Moore and Newton were paid $1k each per game minimum last season then it wouldn’t leave much for the other 18 players over 18 rounds.
$50 a win
$200 pw 5 players
$450 pw 3 players
$1000 pw 2 players
$1400 pw awards
$5000 finals

????

Tossing some ideas around. What about a senior each team has a salary cap. An equal amount is paid to each player who plays a senior game. Scrap the reserves player payments. So if a fringe player is in and out he’ll be rewarded when he plays up. You’ll find loyalty will return and it’ll only be locals. Crowd numbers will rise and generate more cash.

Would be nice to be in a position to notice being paid double. Pretty sure the penalty is double the breach amount of $14,000

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
No it stayed in the weekly times, they were fined how much they went over which is 28k, for one player, that over a grand extra a game haha, they've obviously got two sets of books and got them mixed up

Whispers around the water cooler this morning is that Rovers have parted ways with big ruck recruit Hughes. Something about him getting blind at the season launch on Sat night and making a c*ck of himself, including some alleged derogatory behaviour towards some of the netballers. Pretty firm statement from the club if true, and good on them I say. No place for that crap in today’s society
I reckon tf would have been there giving the matching orders from the barrel

There’s no need to hang the player out to dry, he would’ve agreed to the amount going in, it’s the organisation that’s accountable.
Exactly I'm sure they've said we'll pay you this much and tell AFL ne another, but got them mixed up

Anyone that thinks this is a poor volunteer with no business or accounting acumen that made this mistake is pretty naive, you'd expect that might happen in a minor league, but not from the ovens and Murray premiers

Salary cap is basically $7000 per game
2 * $1000
5 * $500
5 * $300
9 * $100 = $6900 per game

Middle tiers are likely to have some "employment" support,personal sponsorship, top tier will be travellers

Wouldn’t $28k be 3 senior, senior players. That is the difference between 1st and 4th.

A premiership is a premiership. I know a couple of blokes that have taken a 6/8 week suspension, for knocking out the opposition’s gun, to win a premiership?
I don’t care how you put it but they are completely different things. Wang cheated the system but those blokes you’re talking about did a completely dog act not in the spirit of the game at all. You could argue both aren’t in the spirit of the game but one is on field and the other is off field. Infield acts like that are gutless and pathetic, and if that’s the way they needed to win the premiership then those gutless wonders should have copped a years ban not 8 weeks. If you can’t beat the team on the park then you don’t deserve to win, it’s as simple as that. Gutless

Front page of the Bordermail today
71d1a5b06206b4a6c61a0d9f85ba1850.jpg

Might have to give hawk talk a spin to find out since TF is banned!

How do people think the two Wodonga clubs will fare this season?
Think the doggies have potential to push for the top 5! credit to them with this rebuild. Outside coach with some good connections that have stayed around. Played finals in reserves too, so the depth is there!

Think the doggies have potential to push for the top 5! credit to them with this rebuild. Outside coach with some good connections that have stayed around. Played finals in reserves too, so the depth is there!
They have definitely done it well and the club seems like a good place to be at the moment. I think they still miss out and Lavington get the last spot in the five. If the dogs did make the finals it would be a big thing for the club because they haven’t made it for years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep this is now confirmed, I agree good on them for acting the way they have

Here's one for the brains trust...

Has the covid job losses and financial pressures put an emphasis on most middle aged males taking every dollar they can get working there primary job, over playing country football with a rather large risk of getting hurt and not being able to earn said income?

This I think, would be the main cause of sides struggling for numbers. Thoughts?

Salary cap is basically $7000 per game
2 * $1000
5 * $500
5 * $300
9 * $100 = $6900 per game

Middle tiers are likely to have some "employment" support,personal sponsorship, top tier will be travellers
So let’s do the math on the Pies.
2* $1000- Reid, Ankers (including flights)
5* $500- Moore, Richards, Van Berlo, Bourdignon, Newton
5*$300- Anderson x 2, Grossman, Sharrock, Knowles, Kelly
9*$100- McVeigh, Saunders, Clarke, Smith, D Porter etc
Simply not possible

more likely version

$1500+ Reid, Ankers, moore
$800-500 Richards, Van Berlo, Bourdignon, clarke
$500-300 newton, j Anderson, Grossman, Sharrock, Kelly, mcveigh
200-100 anderson, warner, knowles
100- Saunders, Smith, D Porter, etc

more likely version

$1500+ Reid, Ankers, moore
$800-500 Richards, Van Berlo, Bourdignon, clarke
$500-300 newton, j Anderson, Grossman, Sharrock, Kelly, mcveigh
200-100 anderson, warner, knowles
100- Saunders, Smith, D Porter, etc
Even using the lowest figure you quoted on each line and the remaining players on $100 that comes to over $165k.
If the figure is closer to the higher number on each line it is huge.

Here's one for the brains trust...

Has the covid job losses and financial pressures put an emphasis on most middle aged males taking every dollar they can get working there primary job, over playing country football with a rather large risk of getting hurt and not being able to earn said income?

This I think, would be the main cause of sides struggling for numbers. Thoughts?

There’s more jobs than blokes available in Country Vic.
Simple answer.

COVID times also taught society about. Small cashy
Another simple answer.

Even using the lowest figure you quoted on each line and the remaining players on $100 that comes to over $165k.
If the figure is closer to the higher number on each line it is huge.
No $$ the win? Or awards??

Our bread and butter players were on just that - $0. Notwithstanding win bonuses and match day awards.

So let’s do the math on the Pies.
2* $1000- Reid, Ankers (including flights)
5* $500- Moore, Richards, Van Berlo, Bourdignon, Newton
5*$300- Anderson x 2, Grossman, Sharrock, Knowles, Kelly
9*$100- McVeigh, Saunders, Clarke, Smith, D Porter etc
Simply not possible

Now do Yarra

Remove this Banner Ad

Ovens & Murray discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back