Pacman vs. Margarito (Nov 13, 2010; Arlington, Texas)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Pacman v Margarito

I had $50 on Pacquiao by KO/TKO so I was pissed off they didn't stop the fight. Had to LOL at Bob Sheridan yelling "STOP THIS FIGHT!" to the ref after the 10th or 11th round.

I actually ended up making it in time for the fight! Swung by the pub on the way home from a family lunch thing and it was perfect timing, heard Michael Buffer making the announcements as I walked through the door :thumbsu:

Can't disagree with what people have said here though. It was a great fight to watch, mainly because of Pacquiao's ability to captivate an audience with his skills. Margarito couldn't use his height/reach advantage at all because Pac was in and out and around him constantly. I take back what I said about not rating Pac's defence, he looked impossible to hit, but mainly because of his footspeed.

Margarito had him hurt at one stage though (I think it was the 6th round?). He landed 2 clean left hooks to the body and Manny doubled over and almost went down. Pac's got a decent chin himself because Margarito landed a massive uppercut and one point too - again when Manny was on the ropes.

I noticed that Margarito never moved his head at all despite the fact that Manny was splitting his guard with straights and uppercuts all night. Manny was hitting something every time he threw, be it face or gloves, which helps if you wanna throw combinations all night like he did.

Yeah, Manny was definitely hurt by those two body punches, and I was surprised at how well he handled that massive uppercut, he seemed totally unaffected by it.

You're also right about Margarito's head movement, it's pretty average. Having said that, though, when you've got an unorthodox fighter throwing punches from all angles at great speed, it's pretty hard to deal with.

Great fight.
Like cannons said, despite it being a (near) shutout it was still highly entertaining.

A personal favourite moment was when Pacquiao walked out to the song from Karate Kid.
"You're the best...around!"

Hilarious entrance theme, loved it :thumbsu:

Here's the video, just a shame Max Kellerman has to speak throughout the course of it:

[YOUTUBE]3BGx9xDiKKU[/YOUTUBE]

Two reasons why PBF and Pac may not occur.
1.PBF wants to retire undefeated and doesn't really want a piece of pac.
2.PBF may well be in jail for Allegedly assaulting the mother of his children and threatening his kids.

Styles make fights....we have an all action Pac that isnt afraid to face anyone,who just always moves in and out throwing pinpoint combos from all kinds of angles.........That straight left against Marg looked like it was laser guided at times.....but,then again Marg just stands in front of u.

Then we have possibly the best defensive fighter of probably the last 20 years.
With his famed shoulder roll and pin point counter punching.

It's a real shame for boxing that this fight may never take place.

Two reasons why PBF and Pac may not occur.
1.PBF wants to retire undefeated and doesn't really want a piece of pac.
2.PBF may well be in jail for Allegedly assaulting the mother of his children and threatening his kids.

Styles make fights....we have an all action Pac that isnt afraid to face anyone,who just always moves in and out throwing pinpoint combos from all kinds of angles.........That straight left against Marg looked like it was laser guided at times.....but,then again Marg just stands in front of u.

Then we have possibly the best defensive fighter of probably the last 20 years.
With his famed shoulder roll and pin point counter punching.

It's a real shame for boxing that this fight may never take place.

This is what would make the match amazing from a passionate boxing fan's point of view. Not just the fact that these are the two greatest pound for pounders in history, but the fact that their styles are so different.

I'm starting to be a realist though and accept that this fight will not happen. It's a shame as it is probably the most anticipated fight in history, and the sport needs it.

I still can't believe the ref didn't stop the fight. Should've been around round 10 I think. He was just copping brutal force to the head time and time again. Margarito has a hell of a chin though.

I've read a bit more into that ref and he's done a few dodgy things in the past.

Speaking of refs, Kenny Bayliss is the best ref I've seen going around today. He is excellent.

I still can't believe the ref didn't stop the fight. Should've been around round 10 I think. He was just copping brutal force to the head time and time again. Margarito has a hell of a chin though.

I've read a bit more into that ref and he's done a few dodgy things in the past.

Speaking of refs, Kenny Bayliss is the best ref I've seen going around today. He is excellent.
You could see Manny looking at the ref everytime he barraged Margarito during the 5th

If Margarito and his corner wanted to keep going, then the ref can't really do much. If Margarito got stunned and stopped being able to defend himself (well, I guess he couldn't really defend himself anyway but you know what I mean), then the ref could've stepped in. But as long as Margarito kept his senses then it was more up to the corner to stop the fight.

Well, Margarito is a typical Mexican who will fight on until the end, but I think that a different referee would've stopped it early. I'm almost certain that the guy who was in charge of the Katsidis-Marquez fight (may have been Bayliss) would've done so.

On Floyd, who knows what he's doing at the moment?

I'm sure all of his legal troubles are keeping him pretty busy though. In between beating and threatening the mother of his children, poking security guards, reufsing to pay rent and attempting to run others off the road, it probably doesn't leave too much time for negotiating a mega fight with Pacquiao.

Couldn't resist posting this:

1zf3kfn.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Manny probably isn't on PEDs, there has never been any evidence that he is on them, but due to the delirious ramblings of the Mayweather family, he is likely to have this rubbish casting doubt over his achievements for life.

The Mayweather family are not experts on PEDs, and as such, they have no right to make these unfounded claims against Manny. They might think they are experts on drugs because most of them have done time because of substance-based charges, but they aren't.

Pacquiao has agreed to random testing up to 7 days out from the fight, and another test will take place straight after the fight, so surely that is good enough considering that he doesn't even need to go through all of this. He is going through it, though, because he wants the fight.

Floyd, on the other hand, does not, and that is why he suddenly lost the 'urge' after the two parties basically agreed all details surrounding the fight, even down to the smallest things such as who would walk into the ring last. As the HBO representative involved in the negotiations said, you would really have to ask Floyd why the fight didn't go ahead.

Manny probably isn't on PEDs, there has never been any evidence that he is on them, but due to the delirious ramblings of the Mayweather family, he is likely to have this rubbish casting doubt over his achievements for life.

There may be no physical evidence to prove that Manny is on PED's - you have to admit the circumstances surrounding the scenario really cast doubt on the 'prosumption of innosence' in this case.

Despite what the Mayweather's say - Manny did himself no favours by refusing to undergo blood based testing to prove that he is not on PED's, which essentially killed off the initial $250 million fight proposal.

Instead of just taking the test - he went about threatening to sue people for 'defamation' instead.

Like most prohibited substances, there is no urine-based test for HGH (which is what they accused him of being on). People suspect Manny's party of knowing this, and hence why he wants to dictate the terms of when he is blood tested (yet he was happy to be urine tested anytime - suprise! suprise!).

He agreed to the following:

• Blood test 24/14 days leading up to the fight
  • Blood test up 2 days before the fight
  • Blood test immediatley after the fight
Some American sports pundits believe that those set dates are huge loop-holes that Manny (or any boxer on HGH) can exploit. As they beleive he would be able to cycle on the drug straight after the 14 day lead up test, and then back off immediatley before the fight. which would enable him to show up clean in his testing.

I don't know for fact whether he is on drugs or not - but it is 95% about public perception, and he did himself no favours there (it's like in a paternity suit - when someone claims not be the father, yet refuses to have a DNA test).

Manny's argument of the testing and drawing of blood possibily hindering his approach to the fight is void, because Mayweather would be exposed to the same arrangement.

The Mayweather family are not experts on PEDs, and as such, they have no right to make these unfounded claims against Manny. They might think they are experts on drugs because most of them have done time because of substance-based charges, but they aren't.

The Mayweathers are morons.

/thread

I hope Manny destroys him.

Although I doubt they will ever meet - despite Floyd beating Mosely and claiming that he "wants to clean out the division before retiring".

Yeah, it's reasonable enough to say that Manny didn't make things look good for himself, but when you consider that, in the most recent round of negotiations, he said he would agree to random testing up to 7 days prior to the fight, then I think that's pretty reasonable of him.

I mean, he doesn't even need to subject himself to this testing. The testing procedures should be put in place by the authorities responsible for governing boxing, not by an individual athlete who seems to think that he's bigger than the sport. Moreover, you can see why he doesn't want to take the blood tests close to the fight, given that he took one immediately before the Morales fight, which was one in which he lost.

Once something like that happens to a person, it can totally change the way they think about a given issue. Whether rational or not, if something bad happens after you do something else, you tend to think that something else was the cause, and as such, you try to avoid doing that something else from then on, and if you do have to do it, you then lose a lot of confidence within yourself as a result.

As I said before, if HBO and the Pacquiao camp are to be believed, everything was agreed down to the smallest details, but for one reason or another, Floyd suddenly lost the urge and decided not to take the fight and instead, he opted to go on vacation. Of course, Floyd now claims no negotiations took place, but that's just his style to be a pathetic human being.

In any case, I really hope this fight can happen at some point in the future, but looking at Floyd's most recent behaviour, I wouldn't count on it.

Yeah, it's reasonable enough to say that Manny didn't make things look good for himself, but when you consider that, in the most recent round of negotiations, he said he would agree to random testing up to 7 days prior to the fight, then I think that's pretty reasonable of him.

I mean, he doesn't even need to subject himself to this testing. The testing procedures should be put in place by the authorities responsible for governing boxing, not by an individual athlete who seems to think that he's bigger than the sport. Moreover, you can see why he doesn't want to take the blood tests close to the fight, given that he took one immediately before the Morales fight, which was one in which he lost.

Once something like that happens to a person, it can totally change the way they think about a given issue. Whether rational or not, if something bad happens after you do something else, you tend to think that something else was the cause, and as such, you try to avoid doing that something else from then on, and if you do have to do it, you then lose a lot of confidence within yourself as a result.

As I said before, if HBO and the Pacquiao camp are to be believed, everything was agreed down to the smallest details, but for one reason or another, Floyd suddenly lost the urge and decided not to take the fight and instead, he opted to go on vacation. Of course, Floyd now claims no negotiations took place, but that's just his style to be a pathetic human being.

In any case, I really hope this fight can happen at some point in the future, but looking at Floyd's most recent behaviour, I wouldn't count on it.

That's really where all this debate stems from. The lack of a true governing body to take care of matters like these. Too much power is in the hands of promoters/managers/boxers and potential fights can be manipulated in too many ways.

I've never really bought into the whole Manny-Floyd debate, but just by going on the type of person Manny is compared to the type of person Floyd is, I'm kinda blaming Floyd and his camp for the fight not happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pacman vs. Margarito (Nov 13, 2010; Arlington, Texas)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back