Autopsy Paddy and Ray v Hawks in Hodges 300th

Remove this Banner Ad

Rubbish. Any team would have beaten us in the finals last year. And our season this year was over 2 months ago. We are now playing for pride and to give St Kilda as shit a draft pick as possible.
More importantly, give our younger blokes game time under Hodgeys guidance. And from that try to determine who is worthy to keep going into the future.

Really bitterly disappointing result today. I'm more disappointed we couldn't get the win for Hodgey more so than for the sake of the win itself.

Yeah, we copped the shit end of the stick from the umpiring for most of the day and given the close result it undeniably cost us the win. That said, we had multiple opportunities to run away with the lead or grab the win and we just didn't manage it. That's on Hawthorn.

We need to get to the point that dodgy umpiring doesn't effect our win:loss. This is the type of thing a team who's been rebuilding for the last 4 years and is pushing to make finals would need to worry about. Yet we're less than a year into our rebuild and we're already there. We've really taken it up to the top 3 sides in the comp over the past 4 weeks. We traded away our two best performing players of 2016 for nothing and we've lost another half dozen important players to injury. Yet we've somehow managed to challenge these top 3 sides with what we have left.

Today's result is going to make us feel like crap. Understandable. But just look at what this team has been able to produce over the past month. We're not at our destination yet but gee ****in whiz we're getting there boody quick!

Smith...again?...why? We had the win in our hands..he threw it again....we fought back ray and beast's behinds...why. Would you do that to Hodges?
I have no problem with his decision to play on. He normally gets those and backed himself in but missed. So let's move on. This seasons over but now playing for different purpose which is a rebuild.

Have calmed down now and fwiw my rage wasn't directed at our players or umps but at how close we came against a side looking at playing in a GF and that it was only poor kicking that cost us the game

I'm loving how game by game the confidence grows in Mitchell - so tentative at the start of the season but is now starting to believe in himself and it's paying off in spades - he really could go close in the Brownlow imo

Ruff played like a man determined that his mate gets a win alas he couldn't convert on goal and a blatant free saw that opportunity missed

Thought in a whole the backline continued to stand up especially with scissors on one leg and of course Lazarus being the exception

It was disappointing how little respect was paid to Lazarus in the forward line - while I understand it upset the backline balance, playing 5-10m off him and giving him so much space was ridiculous and it cost us and every other supporter of the afl in the country who will now have to listen to how courageous brave and warrior like he was, while playing on predominately Brand. He loves the limelight does Paddy

I like langers forward and it's getting the return but falling down when kicking for goal - he needs to spend hours and hours working on hitting a target of some sort and just one conversion in a big game

I was furious that Omith played on but on reflection he is a better kick on the run. In saying that though, he needed to go back and take the kick knowing how close the siren was. He may have still missed but..... this could haunt him for a long time but the blame doesn't lie with him - we had so so many misses.

Said at the start that I wanted the guys to just continue with the good form and wasn't expecting the win and they did that - it just hurts that they did more than that and missed by a Maxwell Smart

The AFL and it's celebrated umpire depeartment needs to go.

Back to no names that just call the game please.

None of this getting caught up in the narrative like it's a wounded Rob Snow v Joffrey

Selwood getting a free kick in front of goal for ducking was a disgrace, he is the only player in the league that is allowed to initiate a high contact.

Look, that one was high. He didn't duck, he raised his arm to make sure his head got taken off. It's a free, and he's a jammy little rat the way he makes it happen.

The real shame is that Hodgey didn't take the chance to properly decapitate him in the fashion that everybody outside of Geelong has been praying to happen for years now.

Selwood getting a free kick in front of goal for ducking was a disgrace, he is the only player in the league that is allowed to initiate a high contact.
That wasn't so much ducking but it's his ability to turn a perfectly legal tackle too high by raising his arm. He does it all the time and it's forever annoying, and the umps get sucked in all the time. And by the laws of the game there's nothing that can be done because his manipulation of the tackle always works in his favour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely a lot of whining about the umps!
As cryptor just said, we need to get to the point where the umpiring doesn't matter.
There were heaps of occasions & players that had a chance to do some damage to the cats & failed.
Some at a more in opportune time than others.
I actually think it was the best Hawks game I have watched all year & have even more hope for a crack in 2018-19 with a couple of prime inclusions to the team.
We have quite a few best 22 or former best 22, pending opinions, out of the team & we are far from the Hawks of 2014.
There is enough to suggest that this group will give the remainder of the season a real shake up.

#playthekids & enjoy the ride

Mathematically? Perhaps. But we still need to play 3 top 8 teams and no longer lose any games......errr, nah! In fact now I'd prefer it this way. Finish the season early, have a good break and get cracking with the preseason. No use just scraping into the finals and get belted first game. And would also give a false sense of success to make the finals after such a mediocre year. But the future looks bright.
From my maths we can afford to drop one more game and still sneak in. We won't make the finals now, however. If we did, it's anyone's flag for the taking. We're as good (or as bad) as anyone in the top 8, so am gutted with today's result.

Definitely a lot of whining about the umps!
As cryptor just said, we need to get to the point where the umpiring doesn't matter.
There were heaps of occasions & players that had a chance to do some damage to the cats & failed.
Some at a more in opportune time than others.
I actually think it was the best Hawks game I have watched all year & have even more hope for a crack in 2018-19 with a couple of prime inclusions to the team.
We have quite a few best 22 or former best 22, pending opinions, out of the team & we are far from the Hawks of 2014.
There is enough to suggest that this group will give the remainder of the season a real shake up.

#playthekids & enjoy the ride

Totally agree

Just wouldn't sting so much if it weren't Hodgey's 300th

That wasn't so much ducking but it's his ability to turn a perfectly legal tackle too high by raising his arm. He does it all the time and it's forever annoying, and the umps get sucked in all the time. And by the laws of the game there's nothing that can be done because his manipulation of the tackle always works in his favour.
Someone attempts to tackle him legally and by his own action it becomes an illegal tackle. The result is rhe same and to apply the same standard they should make ducking legal. It's a ****ing joke.

I was at the game, he was jogging freely most of the time, is he the only AFL player in history to play out a game with a niggle FFS.

I posted on FB in response to the ridiculous carry on that is was so brave how he overcome his life threatening knock to the leg.

OTC nailed it a few posts up.....due to our baby faced backline giving him a mile, we'll now have to listen to the plaudits of his great resurrection all week and for **** knows how much longer.

I posted on FB in response to the ridiculous carry on that is was so brave how he overcome his life threatening knock to the leg.

OTC nailed it a few posts up.....due to our baby faced backline giving him a mile, we'll now have to listen to the plaudits of his great resurrection all week and for **** knows how much longer.
Pretty sure he stubbed his toe kicking the ground
Would have got a needle to kill the pain

So glad I got to see this game live - the result was a touch disappointing - but it looks good out the windscreen for what's to come over next couple of years. We are so raw with some of these blokes and they are matching it with top teams. As for the umps - been like that forever - it's pretty much part of the Hawks/cats rivalry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Paddy and Ray v Hawks in Hodges 300th

Remove this Banner Ad

Back