PAFC - Questionable signings under Hinkley

Remove this Banner Ad

SonOfKek

Senior List
Jun 16, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Let's go over the list of inspired signings made the AFL's answer to Carlo Ancellotti. I'm not talking about young players who are up and coming but could never quite cut it, I'm talking more along the lines of journeyman player who shouldn't be at the club.

1. Brett Eddy
2. Dom Barry
3. Jack Watts
4. Jack Trengove
5. Lindsay Thomas
6. Esava Ratugolea
7. Jimmy Toumpas

Is there anyone else I've missed?

Let's go over the list of inspired signings made the AFL's answer to Carlo Ancellotti. I'm not talking about young players who are up and coming but could never quite cut it, I'm talking more along the lines of journeyman player who shouldn't be at the club.

1. Brett Eddy
2. Dom Barry
3. Jack Watts
4. Jack Trengove
5. Lindsay Thomas
6. Esava Ratugolea
7. Jimmy Toumpas

Aside from Esava, all those blokes were cheap and worth the punt.

Jack Watts would've made it if not for his car crash leg injury

Aside from Esava, all those blokes were cheap and worth the punt.

Jack Watts would've made it if not for his car crash leg injury
Animated GIF

If those names are worth a punt, then please stop gambling.

The Jack Watts, Tom Rockliff, Steven Motlop trifecta owns this thread.

Every team has fringe spuds.

The only recruiting splurge that I think was a clear mistake as we made it was the most recent one.

Recruiting 2 ruckmen who can't play at the same time. Overpaying for a fridge KPD. And giving up a first(which will be a top 10 pick in a strong draft) and Duursma to do so.

All to fill holes left by a flatout refusal to value the development of tall players under this regime.

Chris Davies should be in prison.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Brett Eddy
2. Dom Barry
3. Jack Watts
4. Jack Trengove
5. Lindsay Thomas
6. Esava Ratugolea
7. Jimmy Toumpas

images (20).jpeg

I had to look up Dom Barry I have zero recollection of him. Even seeing him doesn't bring any memories back. Must of been good

Sent from my SM-A556E using Tapatalk

1. Brett Eddy
2. Dom Barry
3. Jack Watts
4. Jack Trengove
5. Lindsay Thomas
6. Esava Ratugolea
7. Jimmy Toumpas

Thats not a very large list, nore is it a list that is overly questionable given there are always dud drafts and trades, but dependant what you gave up can impact how bad it was.

1. Brett Eddy - Rookie Draft - still convinced he was only drafted to cripple South Adelaide in the SANFL as he was never given a decent crack at AFL level.
2. Dom Barry - Pick 61
3. Jack Watts - Pick 31 (Bailey Fritch) did allow us to on trade pick 34 for 2018 second round, 59 and 63
4. Jack Trengove - Free Agent
5. Lindsay Thomas - Rookie Draft
6. Esava Ratugolea - Pick 25 (Mitchell Edwards), 76, 94 (both unused)
7. Jimmy Toumpas - Gave up pick 29, 50, 68 for Toumpas and 32 (Riley Bonner)

I would say maybe the Watts trade is the biggest stuff up but no overly so.

I think the one we were dudded on was the Monfries trade - sure we only gave up pick 51 for him, but then for him to be suspended for 12mths through no fault of ours without any compo is a disgrace!
Orazio was another dud trade - gave up pick 29 and 2021 3rd round for him and pick 73.

I guess the take out from is is be careful when trading with Melb and Ess.

I would take them all again at the time, if given the chance. These were low risk (as others have pointed out) and may have provided something to a club building a culture again, even if it was a bad example to open the youngsters eyes on how not to conduct yourself while in China.

Last edited:
Stevie motflop - got worse every year since leaving Geelong, and they were sick of him to begin with

Rockliff - basically did the same thing as wines, but worse

Wylie buzza - paid nothing but waste of a list spot

Thats not a very large list, nore is it a list that is overly questionable given there are always dud drafts and trades, but dependant what you gave up can impact how bad it was.

1. Brett Eddy - Rookie Draft - still convinced he was only drafted to cripple South Adelaide in the SANFL as he was never given a decent crack at AFL level.
2. Dom Barry - Pick 61
3. Jack Watts - Pick 31 (Bailey Fritch) did allow us to on trade pick 34 for 2018 second round, 59 and 63
4. Jack Trengove - Free Agent
5. Lindsay Thomas - Rookie Draft
6. Esava Ratugolea - Pick 25 (Mitchell Edwards), 76, 94 (both unused)
7. Jimmy Toumpas - Gave up pick 29, 50, 68 for Toumpas and 32 (Riley Bonner)

I would say maybe the Watts trade is the biggest stuff up but no overly so.

I think the one we were dudded on was the Monfries trade - sure we only gave up pick 51 for him, but then for him to be suspended for 12mths through no fault of ours without any compo is a disgrace!
Orazio was another dud trade - gave up pick 29 and 2021 3rd round for him and pick 73.

I guess the take out from is is be careful when trading with Melb and Ess.

On the other hand Gus was possibly one of the most consistent genuinely good players we have picked up.

I don't think we paid his wages when he was out?

Seem to recall he was BOG in a exhibition game in London that we made 200k out of winning? Just after we picked him up.

Nah Gus was a win up there with Matty White.

I am not sure that we can blame Hinkley entirely for our list building in recent times. He would have a major say in who we add to the list but there would also be others who have a say. I can imagine the likes of Chris Davies and the rest of the Coaching staff having their say.

The real problem goes deeper than who we have traded in the real problem is the fractured outlook re our list builds during the Hinkley years. The ethos seems to have been we have a good list which only needs boosting in some key areas to turn our list into a Premiership list. Hence we have traded in the likes of Jarred Polec, Paddy Ryder, Jack Watts, Steven Motlop, Francis Evans, Tom Rockliff, and more recently the likes of Jeremy Finlayson, Allir Aliir, Esava Ratugolea, Ivan Soldo, Jordan Sweet and Willie Rioli. Some of these have proved to be good players but they have not achieved the ultimate in fact they have not even got us into a Grand Final.

The assessment has been off the mark and the addition of experience in key areas has not worked. It has also covered up one of Ken Hinkley's greatest failings as a Coach- namely his inability to develop young players particularly tall players.

The real cost of this failure is yet to be realised as we burned last year's draft and there is every chance we will do the same in 2024. The full effect of not drafting first and second round picks in 2023 and in 2024 will be seen in three or four years time when we have a tired old list relying on players drafted six or seven years in the past. The real task for whoever succeeds Hinkley will be a list rebuild and hopefully covering the holes created by burning a series of Drafts.

Not only would I get rid of Hinkley but I would also say thanks and goodbye to the likes of Davies, Cripps, Parker etc. The problem is the person who should instigate this is David Koch but he should also go. Honk your horn if you agree!

Brett Eddy.

That guy from memory kicked straighter than half the team didn’t he?

Brett Eddy.

That guy from memory kicked straighter than half the team didn’t he?
This one peeved me off the most. You have Schulz retired the year before, and a mature age goalkicker in Eddy worth giving 10-20 games into.

What happens, he plays a few games averaged maybe 1.5 goals and then dropped/delisted.

Ken knew he wanted five more fruitless years of bombing it on Dixon's head in our forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

PAFC - Questionable signings under Hinkley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back