Summer Paris Olympics - Broadcast discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

When i was in high school, we moved interstate a few months before Barcelona.

When we moved in, we were shocked to find out the tv reception was almost non-existent and could only get ABC and 10 scratchily.

So for most of the 92 Games, I listened to ABC Radio in my bedroom all night and it was freaking amazing. Those commentators were artists and I didn’t feel like I missed out. If anything, it was more evocative. Such a good memory.
Watching the equestrian tonight I could still in my mind, hear George Grljusich in Barcelona calling Matt Ryan on Kibah Tic Toc clearing jump after jump, and George counting out the jump number and how many left, and winning not only team eventing gold but Matt's individual gold, as they were the days the IOC said it was ok to win 2 medals from the 1 event. ch 7 took over half an hour before they put on his ride.

Then George went to the boxing and joined Benny Pike in one of the best comedy acts one minute, and then almost getting into fist fight with each other the next, and always trying to chat up Tracey Holmes when she crossed to them for the days preview or review and it wasn't one of those quick report for the around the grounds segments.

Last edited:
Watching the equestrian tonight I could still in my mind, hear George Grljusich in Barcelona calling Matt Ryan on Kibah Tic Toc clearing jump after jump, and George counting out the jump number and how many left, and winning not only team eventing gold but Matt's individual gold, as they were the days the IOC said it was ok to win 2 medals from the 1 event. ch 7 took over half an hour before they put on his ride.

Then George went to the boxing and joined Benny Pike in one of the best comedy acts one minute, and then almost getting into fist fight with each other the next, and always trying to chat up Tracey Holmes when she crossed to them for the days preview or review and it wasn't a quick report for the around the grounds segments.
You absolutely read my mind, I was just about to talk about George and the equestrian, it was iconic commentary, he had such a sense of moment, for a buffoon haha.

Who would have done commentary or Tighe and Hawkins taking gold, that was a great call too.

I wrote about this 1988 single at this post #135 in the Aussie watch thread thread
last Wednesday and said I had the single somewhere and posted a very grainy video of the song on youtube.

It was a fund raiser for the Olympic team to get to Seoul. Not quiet a super group but lots of musicians and TV and radio personalities got behind the project.

I found it on Friday night and as I got my turntable fixed a few weeks ago I had to blast it out over the weekend. Side A is the song and Side B the instrumental. Rob Hirst of Midnight Oil is a co-writer and he really pounds the skins in this song.

The line - I hear people screaming accolades on both sides of the barricades, break down the doors - is now stuck in my head.

1722269878386.png 1722270293246.png

I wrote about this 1988 single at this post #135 in the Aussie watch thread thread
last Wednesday and said I had the single somewhere and posted a very grainy video of the song on youtube.

It was a fund raiser for the Olympic team to get to Seoul. Not quiet a super group but lots of musicians and TV and radio personalities got behind the project.

I found it on Friday night and as I got my turntable fixed a few weeks ago I had to blast it out over the weekend. Side A is the song and Side B the instrumental. Rob Hirst of Midnight Oil is a co-writer and he really pounds the skins in this song.

The line - I hear people screaming accolades on both sides of the barricades, break down the doors - is now stuck in my head.

View attachment 2063154 View attachment 2063158
I miss the days of Olympic anthems and songs.

Reach by Gloria Estefan was a cracker for Atlanta.

Anybody regularly getting a blank screen with just Stan. in the left hand top corner??

Got it a few times this arvo and this evening. Bloody annoying. Has been pretty good the first few days before today.

Thought they did OK in the first week, but in the last couple of days Nine have been showing far too many puff interviews and replays instead of live sport on their main channel. Far too much Ally Langdon for my liking.

Thought they did OK in the first week, but in the last couple of days Nine have been showing far too many puff interviews and replays instead of live sport on their main channel. Far too much Ally Langdon for my liking.
Now the swimming is done, I expect they think no one wants to see other sports, even those featuring gasp people from other countries. I don't know this for sure, just assuming. 5 minutes of Eddie interviewing Grace Brown on day one was all the impetus I needed to stck witn Stan Sport the rest of the time.

It has been a breath of fresh air watching the world feed and not getting the Aussie jingoism in lieu of actually calling the race. Stan Sport has been worth every cent.
Yep- it’s been really good. Some of the commentators have been excellent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

9now also has the world feed commentators?
I know (why are people so fixated on this?)

The biggest value has been in watching with no ads, especially as I’m often watching on an “as live” delay. I’ve tried watching back a couple of track replays on 9Now to hear Gerard’s calls and the ads are jarringly bad. I often count five unskippable ads back to back.

I know (why are people so fixated on this?)
People keep using the world feed commentators as the thing that makes Stan worth the price.
The biggest value has been in watching with no ads, especially as I’m often watching on an “as live” delay. I’ve tried watching back a couple of track replays on 9Now to hear Gerard’s calls and the ads are jarringly bad. I often count five unskippable ads back to back.
Yeah the instant replays and rewind functions are the best part of Stan and no ads.

I bought Stan, but I wouldn't say it was worth it in hindsight, but that's because I've been so surprised by how simple 9now had been to switch between events.

The live streams on 9Now are great. Pretty much ad free from what I've seen.
I reckon the reason this is the case is because they don’t have a mechanism for someone to A) be watching 30 or so concurrent streams to see when an ad should be inserted, and B) have those ads specific to the country of broadcast

Which is why the replays have shit tonnes of ads placed hopelessly throughout, because they can’t be accused of causing people to miss the action if it’s no longer live

There are a lot of Kiwis on the world feeds.

Can't remember if it was the athletics but ex Ch 7 AFL reporter Mark Doran was on something I watched this arvo on the world feed. Got the shock of my life when at Beijing 2020 Winter games he was doing bobsleigh and skeleton on world feed.

I reckon the reason this is the case is because they don’t have a mechanism for someone to A) be watching 30 or so concurrent streams to see when an ad should be inserted, and B) have those ads specific to the country of broadcast

Which is why the replays have shit tonnes of ads placed hopelessly throughout, because they can’t be accused of causing people to miss the action if it’s no longer live
I have only watched a bit of 9Now as I got Stan, but their replays are peppered with ads as I watched a lot of the Aussie stuff this arvo and wanted to hear Whateley's call of the 1500m and a couple of other track events.

It was bloody annoying after watching a week or so of replays on Stan.

Unlike 7 who on their twitter account 7Sport for Tokyo and again Beijing put up a lot of videos of events including most finals, a shit load I posted on here in the relevant thread, 9's WWOS twitter account send you to their https://www.nine.com.au/sport/olympics/ page and you can watch some vision of a race, but not always the finishing bit,, but you get their written stories and ads.

Bit disappointing as unlike with 7's stuff, you can't quickly go to 9's twitter account and re-watch a race.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris Olympics - Broadcast discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back