Summer Paris Olympics - Broadcast discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

RussellEbertHandball what is Peter Donegan up to these days? Retired?
Don't know.

Last night I was thinking about him, when I heard Brenton Speed call the basketball and I thought maybe I should bump my Is Peter Donegan a greater all rounder than Gary Sobers thread I started from Beijing.

Speed calls a lot of different sports. Only bloke I know who can competently call AFL, NRL and soccer games.

But in both 2018 and 2022 Winter Olympics for the IOC feed, Peter did the speed skating and short track speed skating.

I rang 5AA in 2018 for their Saturday morning sports show during the winter Olympics, because at the time they had Hutchy on for the last 10-15 of their show before it ended it ended at 12 noon, and asked them to ask Hutchy how the bloody hell did Peter get the speed skating gig.

Hutchy didn't really answer why, Donegan was working for SEN at the time, but went on how great he was and that he did a lot of golf broadcasting on the Asian circuit. Maybe he is there somewhere.

Don't know.

Last night I was thinking about him, when I heard Brenton Speed call the basketball and I thought maybe I should bump my Is Peter Donegan a greater all rounder than Gary Sobers thread I started from Beijing.

Speed calls a lot of different sports. Only bloke I know who can competently call AFL, NRL and soccer games.

But in both 2018 and 2022 Winter Olympics for the IOC feed, Peter did the speed skating and short track speed skating.

I rang 5AA in 2018 for their Saturday morning sports show during the winter Olympics, because at the time they had Hutchy on for the last 10-15 of their show before it ended it ended at 12 noon, and asked them to ask Hutchy how the bloody hell did Peter get the speed skating gig.

Hutchy didn't really answer why, Donegan was working for SEN at the time, but went on how great he was and that he did a lot of golf broadcasting on the Asian circuit. Maybe he is there somewhere.
Thanks mate. If you don’t know where he is, I suspect his family doesn’t even know.

Lets meet the F$#%ing family just while something interesting is happening in the marathon. WTF do these broadcasters think we are remotely interested in this bs. Show us the sport.
9's broadcasting has been some what average not bad or great they have shown a good variety of sports even ones without Aussies in them with good commentary maybe a little to much cheerleading but that's to be expected. But what grind me was the giggling and laughing at every opportunity by the hosts anchors. I mean why is it that everything is to be a comedy act on TV these days just host and present, the entertainment are the games not the host broadcasters!

Tubby, Nailed It.

I found the special comments person more annoying than Tubby.

How many times last night he said this person was going to get 10's and they ended up with 8's...Tubby was professional and watched a lot of diving. Always knew what they scored the last time they dived that certain dive. Honestly, that is all you can ask for as a call-by-dive caller

9 were fine. Again, NineNow was fantastic while their 2nd channel was often better than the main one in terms of keeping things live. The great coverage of the Canoe Slalom and The Athletics can be compared to Bruce's.

I found the special comments person more annoying than Tubby.

How many times last night he said this person was going to get 10's and they ended up with 8's...Tubby was professional and watched a lot of diving. Always knew what they scored the last time they dived that certain dive. Honestly, that is all you can ask for as a call-by-dive caller

9 were fine. Again, NineNow was fantastic while their 2nd channel was often better than the main one in terms of keeping things live. The great coverage of the Canoe Slalom and The Athletics can be compared to Bruce's.
Gerard has been good, but I think he has tried too hard to be Bruce. I thought Peter Donegan calling for 9, was better in London.

I was worried I would miss Bruce in London, but in the end I didn't really because Donegan stuck to calling races, and did a great job and told a few stories and gave some info, but he left most of the stories and historical data to the retired athletes special commentators.

I think because Bruce has been on ABC Radio and apart from the annoying 5 second time lag between ABC calls and 9's pictures, ABC were ahead of 9, I have listened a lot to him on radio, and Gerard doesn't stack up as well.

Gerard has been good, but I think he has tried too hard to be Bruce. I thought Peter Donegan calling for 9, was better in London.

I was worried I would miss Bruce in London, but in the end I didn't really because Donegan stuck to calling races, and did a great job and told a few stories and gave some info, but he left most of the stories and historical data to the retired athletes special commentators.

I think because Bruce has been on ABC Radio and apart from the annoying 5 second time lag between ABC calls and 9's pictures, ABC were ahead of 9, I have listened a lot to him on radio, and Gerard doesn't stack up as well.
Yeah, I agree with all of that.

But Gerald has been above average in an era of Brain Taylor and "Great Start" Basil.

Trouble all the major broadcasters have is that they don't seem to a)have real sports fans as their main presenters (hello, Ally Langdon) or b)sports nuts (like us who post on BF) feeding the commentators with info on the events.

Example 1 - with the K1 1000 last night, where was the background story of Australia's legacy in the event? - the mega unlucky Grant Davies losing the gold by 0.005 seconds Seoul 1988, Clint Robinson and his gold and bronzes in 92 and 96. Surely this would make the event more interesting for the average punter.

Example 2 - hosts last night were continually referring to Aussie K2 500 pair as "gold medalists in this event in Tokyo". I'm screaming at the TV "Gold medallists, yes, this event, no" (event they won was K2 1000). How can someone not be telling them this?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They know they can dish out shit and sports fans like us will watch the Olympics no matter what. They serve up the bs fluff stories and presenters to attract the viewers with a casual interest.
I've actually liked this Olympics the focus on family and friends who have supported the athletes through thick and thin over the years

FYI, Stan will be showing full replays for 2 weeks after the closing ceremony.

Highlights and minis will be available until the end of the year.

I plan on watching a few full replays. I want to watch the men’s cycling road race to see the beautiful scenery, some trap shooting as I didn’t catch any, and also the women’s team all-around rhythmic gymnastics. Some obscure choices there I know!

They know they can dish out shit and sports fans like us will watch the Olympics no matter what. They serve up the bs fluff stories and presenters to attract the viewers with a casual interest.
and because showing more live sport can cost more money but fluff packages only require a journo and archive footage.

Not sure if this is the right thread but here are details on the Paralympic broadcast for Australian viewers. Like the Olympics, it's on Nine and 9Now plus Stan Sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer Paris Olympics - Broadcast discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back