Patrick Dangerfield - potential GOAT?

Could Patrick Dangerfield become the greatest player of all time?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah nah I’ll take the 6 goals thanks 🤣
Didn't you say the most goals Ablett had kicked in a final was 2? Now that you've been proven wrong you're trying to divert?

In his second final ever, as a youngster (20 year old), Ablett kicked 3 goals with good up the ground work and was highly influential in a semi final win.

He achieved similar in his 3rd final ever, still as a youngster, in an elimination final a year later. 19 disposals and 3 goals from a flank.

Martin played good finals aged 26-29. That's it. No younger, no older.

Ablett had strong finals as a 20 year old right up until being a 36 year old. A 16 year span. Much better than a 4 year span.

Ablett would of won the Gary Ayer’s medal in 2007 2008 2009 and 2010.

Martins never had 30 possesions in a final!
Ablett had 8 games.

But Martin averaged 1.68 goals in finals, which is very good for a midfielder who went forward. It's not all about possessions. Not saying GAJ wasn't good in finals - we all know he was good, but Dusty had possessions AND kicked goals.....scoreboard impact in finals is absolute gold.

It's funny, when Dangerfield was at his peak I marked him super-hard; I was always able to find room for improvement in his disposal and decision-making (I've always loved his ability to take a grab overhead, although that has waned over the past couple of years), and in his desperation to have an impact his game could become frenzied.

Now that he is entering his footballing twilight years I am appreciating what he brings a lot more, even though he is producing less of it.

His 2022 Finals series was a fair return for a pretty impressive career. He's in no way the GOAT as per the OP, but he has been a match-shaping player for a very long time now.

But Martin averaged 1.68 goals in finals, which is very good for a midfielder who went forward. It's not all about possessions. Not saying GAJ wasn't good in finals - we all know he was good, but Dusty had possessions AND kicked goals.....scoreboard impact in finals is absolute gold.
He had a 4 year period as an ultra attacking mid/forward where he did kick stacks of goals in finals.

Aged 25 or under, or 30 or over, he wasn't scoreboard prolific in finals at all. Luckily the vast, vast majority of his finals were in that 4 year period. Most modern greats had their finals well spread out and most of the midfielders were actually full time mids, not a mix of forward and mid.

Oddly enough Ablett Jr v Martin disposal wise is very close 24.9 - 24.4 considering Ablett Jr got a lot more cheapy one-twos in he's career.
Ablett played to 36. Lets see what martins disposal average looks like if he plays for another 3 seasons.

And martin got heaps of 1-2 handballs when he played midfield.

Despite being injured and old, Dangerfields 2022 finals series was better then any of dustin martins.
I think Dangerfield is a great player but mostly because of his explosive straight line running outve and through stoppage.
Martin is known as 1v1 player who was is very difficult to defend and stop scoring.
Dangerfield like most Brownlow winners is a contested loose ground ball winner.

I don’t agree that any of Dangerfields finals in 22 had more impact than Martins preformances in his premiership seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had a 4 year period as an ultra attacking mid/forward where he did kick stacks of goals in finals.

Aged 25 or under, or 30 or over, he wasn't scoreboard prolific in finals at all. Luckily the vast, vast majority of his finals were in that 4 year period. Most modern greats had their finals well spread out and most of the midfielders were actually full time mids, not a mix of forward and mid.

Regardless, it's still an effective and impactful record in Finals and really that's all that really matters.

Show me the quote where I said that.

In the Richmond v Geelong thread many many times you’ve said those exact words and also implied it by saying when Richmond is good he’s good when Richmond is bad he’s bad. Don’t BS here, you try and turn it around.

Dusty mainly is what made Richmond great, he pulled us over the line as proven by the 8/10 BOGs in finals in the flag years. No other player has done what he has in finals this especially GAJ and you don’t like it.

Didn't you say the most goals Ablett had kicked in a final was 2? Now that you've been proven wrong you're trying to divert?

In his second final ever, as a youngster (20 year old), Ablett kicked 3 goals with good up the ground work and was highly influential in a semi final win.

He achieved similar in his 3rd final ever, still as a youngster, in an elimination final a year later. 19 disposals and 3 goals from a flank.

Martin played good finals aged 26-29. That's it. No younger, no older.

Ablett had strong finals as a 20 year old right up until being a 36 year old. A 16 year span. Much better than a 4 year span.

My mistake in his prime 07-10 at Geelong it was only 2. Usually we discuss prime so I forgot he only kicked 3 playing as a small forward. Pretty gross ngl.

I also really don’t care that GAJ was worse than Dustys prime for longer. Why that impresses you so much I have no idea.

Dangerfield was a fabulous player for Adelaide and he’s been a fabulous player for Geelong. Played at a very high level for a very long time. Very pleased he came to Geelong and very glad he got a flag. Old and injured a lot nowadays but still makes a difference when he’s on the field.

Patrick Dangerfield - potential GOAT?

Back