Traded Patrick Dangerfield [traded w/ pick 50 to Geelong for 9, 28 and Gore]

Remove this Banner Ad

If the Cats offer is 800k over 5 there's no doubt Crows should match.
First time in RFA history that a departing player isn't being offered a contact the original club doesn't want to match like Buddy and the compo pick isn't good enough.

Every previous RFA has either had too big a contract on offer or a generous compo pick coming back. Crows have to match or be seen again as soft *****.

I wonder if other clubs will now start to match offers to force a trade.
IMO Adelaide have to match the offer.
They will get a better pick and maybe a player.
IF Danger wasnt a FA and asked for a trade he would be worth a high 1st round pick and a player. So why should Adelaide accept anything less?

IF Danger wasnt a FA and asked for a trade he would be worth a high 1st round pick and a player. So why should Adelaide accept anything less?
Other clubs will, if and when it suits them. If the offer they are matching is reasonable, and/or the compensation they will receive is less than market value for their player, they will match.
They won't be matching just because Adelaide now have (if they do), like they have broken some sort of taboo, or unwritten agreement between clubs. This notion is a nonsense. As is the notion that Adelaide (or any club) have to match to uphold their 'reputation' and not be seen as push overs in negotiations.
The game has moved beyond these simplistic ideas.

Not that you are suggesting these things necessarily captain cotch 9, your post just prompted my ramblings ;)

If the Cats offer is 800k over 5 there's no doubt Crows should match.
Wouldnt it be $4m over 5 years @ $800k a year?
Because $800k over 5 years is only $160k a year

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

FFS Patrick, leave it till after the granny.
I live in Adelaide. Nearly everyone I know is a crowbot.
They will all be inconsolable babies for weeks.
KG's heart will explode 2 seconds before his head.
I'll be forced to go underground. :cry:

I think after Carlton made the monumental mistake of not matching Betts, there will be more of a round table discussuion on whether or not they will or wont.

I think after Carlton made the monumental mistake of not matching Betts, there will be more of a round table discussuion on whether or not they will or wont.
To be fair to Carlton, at the time of not matching the Betts offer, it looked like an awful lot of money for him given his recent performances.
Had he stayed, chances are he wouldn't be playing nearly as well as he has in Adelaide. Change seems to have really freshened him up. New attitude, new lease on life

To be fair to Carlton, at the time of not matching the Betts offer, it looked like an awful lot of money for him given his recent performances.
Had he stayed, chances are he wouldn't be playing nearly as well as he has in Adelaide. Change seems to have really freshened him up. New attitude, new lease on life

Yeah I agree, but teams will take a lot more consideration on deciding on matching or not after that players rise. An interesting one will be S Selwood, he has stuggled over the last two years and will go for probably a round two pick in compo if he decides to move, would westcoast decide to match an offer as it wont be a high offer and trade or take the compo along with Leunberger similar situation. We could see changes to the RFA, not they will allow players to move after 8 years as an FA but not have a FA until 10 years and thats it. The game is about the fans not the players, fans hate it the AFL will have to start catering for us, after all there is no game or more mportantly no money without fans!

Yeah I agree, but teams will take a lot more consideration on deciding on matching or not after that players rise. An interesting one will be S Selwood, he has stuggled over the last two years and will go for probably a round two pick in compo if he decides to move, would westcoast decide to match an offer as it wont be a high offer and trade or take the compo along with Leunberger similar situation. We could see changes to the RFA, not they will allow players to move after 8 years as an FA but not have a FA until 10 years and thats it. The game is about the fans not the players, fans hate it the AFL will have to start catering for us, after all there is no game or more mportantly no money without fans!
So you are on this forum, along with all these other folks, and there is all the endless media speculation, TV and radio, and countless column space in papers and on websites devoted to player movement because fans HATE it? On the contrary, I think there are many fans who actually really enjoy it. The interest in it is evidence of that. It's added a new element to the game, that gives diehards something else to talk about, and gives every team hope during the off season, just like the draft did when that was introduced.
The AFL will be loving it too. It keeps footy on the back pages, on the TV and radio, not to mention in peoples consciousness, long after the season is over. Got to be good for business.

What is there to hate about it? I don't get that argument.
'A player I liked and used to cheer for left my club'. Boo hoo. You can go to the footy and enjoy booing him every time he touches the ball if it makes you feel better. I don't get this either but whatever floats you boat.

If the hate comes from fans believing that it unfairly favours certain clubs then that is simply a perception and understanding issue. An issue that will be gone within a few years when everyone realises that FA doesn't favour anybody long-term.
You can't legislate for ignorance, and you certainly shouldn't try to.

So you are on this forum, along with all these other folks, and there is all the endless media speculation, TV and radio, and countless column space in papers and on websites devoted to player movement because fans HATE it? On the contrary, I think there are many fans who actually really enjoy it. The interest in it is evidence of that. It's added a new element to the game, that gives diehards something else to talk about, and gives every team hope during the off season, just like the draft did when that was introduced.
The AFL will be loving it too. It keeps footy on the back pages, on the TV and radio, not to mention in peoples consciousness, long after the season is over. Got to be good for business.

What is there to hate about it? I don't get that argument.
'A player I liked and used to cheer for left my club'. Boo hoo. You can go to the footy and enjoy booing him every time he touches the ball if it makes you feel better. I don't get this either but whatever floats you boat.

If the hate comes from fans believing that it unfairly favours certain clubs then that is simply a perception and understanding issue. An issue that will be gone within a few years when everyone realises that FA doesn't favour anybody long-term.
You can't legislate for ignorance, and you certainly shouldn't try to.

The amount of people on forums is insignifacnt to the amount of footy fans, what would the percentage be .01% hardly anything the AFL is concerned about.

Fans love loyality from their players they love the Brent Harvey's , Dustin Fletchers, Luke Hodges who would die for their club. You wouldnt include Judd, Buddy or Ablett in with those players because they turned on their clubs they are a little tainted.

The game is about the fans first and foremost is all Im saying?

If Dangerfield is trying to get to Geelong without them having to give up anything for himn, then he is a dog of a bloke.

If he had an ounce of credibility or professionalism he would be asking the Crows to match the offer so they can do a deal and get something decent back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Dangerfield is trying to get to Geelong without them having to give up anything for himn, then he is a dog of a bloke.

If he had an ounce of credibility or professionalism he would be asking the Crows to match the offer so they can do a deal and get something decent back.
That would have nothing to do with Danger. It's up to the Crows to decide if they match or not. Geelong will make an offer, Crows will decide if they can pry more out of Geelong than they'll get back in compo, then make the call. Danger asking the Crows to match would be ridiculous, a departing player telling a club how to manage itself going forward? The Crows will be in a position to match if they decide to, whether or not they do will come down to what Geelong offers, and the negotiation between the clubs

Think you might know more in 10 minutes

If his desire is to play for Geelong wouldn't he want Geelong to be in as strong a position as possible on his arrival? ie: keeping as many assets as possible to increase his chances of winning. If he cares so much about Adelaide why would he leave there?

If his desire is to play for Geelong wouldn't he want Geelong to be in as strong a position as possible on his arrival? ie: keeping as many assets as possible to increase his chances of winning. If he cares so much about Adelaide why would he leave there?

Because he wants to live at Moggs Creek, if he wanted a club about to compete for the flag go Richmond, If he wants the best chance of a flag go Hawthorn, apart from living at Moggs, Geelong is miles behind those two clubs.

If the Crows match and Dangerfield doesn't make it to Geelong, it will be the end of 'Restricted' Free Agency.

Preventing a man and his family from going back to their home town after years of service is unreasonable for the player and his family.

What if the wife of an RFA was offered a million a year to move to Sydney, what choice would that family have? Pray that a club can offer more than his existing club or not play football? The RFA is doomed to failure and if the Dangerfield case is the one that causes it, then so be it.

The player should be able to put forward a case to the AFL for the move which includes more than just their own contract $ and term. How to put a price on having family around you, it's the one thing that money can't buy.

Geelong got compensation from the AFL for Ablett (who is better than Dangerfield) so why should they have to give up their own picks to Adelaide? It's Adelaide trying to punish Geelong and get ahead, which is fair enough, but the AFL needs to change the rules to include things other than the contract terms of the player.

Because he wants to live at Moggs Creek, if he wanted a club about to compete for the flag go Richmond, If he wants the best chance of a flag go Hawthorn, apart from living at Moggs, Geelong is miles behind those two clubs.
Since when are Richmond about to complete for a flag, they can't even win a final. Dogs are better placed than your lot

If the Crows match and Dangerfield doesn't make it to Geelong, it will be the end of 'Restricted' Free Agency.

Preventing a man and his family from going back to their home town after years of service is unreasonable for the player and his family.

What if the wife of an RFA was offered a million a year to move to Sydney, what choice would that family have? Pray that a club can offer more than his existing club or not play football? The RFA is doomed to failure and if the Dangerfield case is the one that causes it, then so be it.

The player should be able to put forward a case to the AFL for the move which includes more than just their own contract $ and term. How to put a price on having family around you, it's the one thing that money can't buy.

Geelong got compensation from the AFL for Ablett (who is better than Dangerfield) so why should they have to give up their own picks to Adelaide? It's Adelaide trying to punish Geelong and get ahead, which is fair enough, but the AFL needs to change the rules to include things other than the contract terms of the player.

How is that different for a worker, who works at a merchant bank being told they need to move to Singapore or Sydney when they are working in Melbourne, they will need to disrupt their entire life including their family maybe earning $120,000 PA not $800,000 like Dangerfield. Dangerfield is a grown man, he has options and is earning a ridiculously large amount of $$$ compared to the rest of society, whioch occurs every week to someone in Australia maybe everyday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Patrick Dangerfield [traded w/ pick 50 to Geelong for 9, 28 and Gore]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back