2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see it mate..,sorry...All I see in him is Blakely with better work ethic.
Yeah he was average again today

so slow through the middle, multiple dumb clangers (caught dead, stupid handpasses, holding up play)

It's unfair watching players spread from the contest and seeing Erasmus busting his gut but he just can't keep up, its not through lack of trying

but jeez he can find the footy

so slow through the middle, multiple dumb clangers (caught dead, stupid handpasses, holding up play)

It's unfair watching players spread from the contest and seeing Erasmus busting his gut but he just can't keep up, its not through lack of trying

Fully agree with your observations...I really hope He becomes great player like many on this board think He will be,but I don't see it.

I thought it was one of his better games. He is managing to get the out of tackles and confined spaces. Even ole mate commentator said a number of times “Erasmus emerges with the ball no idea how he did that”.

Would be nice if he could add some goal-kicking to his resume though. Seems to kick the ball too high and has kicked a lot of points this year.

Didn't watch the game but glad to hear Noddy is playing well.

Could not be more understated how severe the clotting issues in his knee were. He's had what 5 ops this season?

Poor bloke is doing well to be back out there let alone playing well.
You wouldn't know it watching him yesterday.

I thought his game looked particulary attacking and was surprised to see he had 7 kicks to 20 handballs. Most of his touches seemed to propel Peel forward.

Behind the paywall;

WAFL 2024: Peel Thunder go top after second half turnaround downs spirited Perth

Jake Santa Maria
The West Australian
Sat, 27 July 2024 9:19AM

A fired-up Perth threatened to pull off an almighty upset over Peel but a third quarter blitz saw the Thunder claim their spot at the top of the WAFL ladder.
Aaron Clarke (four goals) and Charlie Constable (32 disposals, eight clearances) did their best to cause a boilover in front of a vocal home ground but the class of Peel eventually shone through in the 13.8 (86) to 10.7 (67) win.
Neil Erasmus (34 disposals, nine clearances) and Will Brodie (29 disposals, five clearances) managed to get off the chain and led a second half turnaround after the Demons had kicked four straight goals to take the lead deep into the second quarter.
Despite giving up the first goal to Cooper Simpson the Demons grew into the opening quarter and arguably had the better chances as the Thunder butchered the ball at times.
But Peel’s elite midfield was a constant threat on the counter highlighted by Taj Wyburd’s goal having set up the attack from half-back only moments earlier.
However, despite Perth’s lack of personnel, their effort could not be questioned epitomised by Kane Johnston’s three or four repeated efforts to keep the ball alive under pressure and allow Aaron Clarke his first goal.
But goals to Matt Taberner and Nathan Wilson ensured the Thunder were comfortable leaders as frustrations boiled over with a large scuffle seeing plenty of push and shove just before quarter time.
This seemed to fire up the Demons as they went end to end to give Clarke his second while they outworked Peel’s defence with Austin Davies finding enough space to snap his first.
The Thunder were trying to be too cute at times and the Demons’ pressure meant they were constantly coming up with the ball out of contests.
Clarke’s third and Joseph Chaplin first had the margin back to one point before Blake Sclensog put them in front of a shell shocked Thunder.
After a frustrating half Pat Voss finally clunked a mark and converted to stop the rot for Peel and give them a one point lead into the main break.

Johnston second put the Demons back in front but it was here Perth’s challenge ran out of steam.
They’d put in an immense amount of work to fight their way back into the contest but Peel finally snapped out of their funk to get on top in the midfield and break apart the Demons’ defence.
The Thunder kicked six goals to three after half time to go top of the ladder after East Perth’s loss to Claremont.

SCOREBOARD​

PEEL THUNDER 5.2, 7.3, 10.6, 13.8 (86)
PERTH 2.1, 7.2, 8.3, 10.7 (67)
Goals – PEEL THUNDER: M Taberner 3 L Colton 2 C Simpson 2 N Wilson O Jones P Voss S Kuek T Wyburd B Grey PERTH: A Clarke 4 J Chaplin 2 K Johnston 2 B Schlensog A Davis
Best – PEEL THUNDER: B Grey N Erasmus W Brodie M Sellwood N O’Driscoll PERTH: B Schlensog A Clarke C Constable A Davis R Clarke
Umpires: TBA Crowd: 1181 at Mineral Resources Park

What role is Simpson playing team? I presume from the numbers more (high) half forward than any real mid (or wing) time?
I only caught the 2nd half this week: My impression was nearly all half foward with a couple of goes at centre bounces. No wing. I don't ever recall seeing him start on a wing in a Peel game.

I only caught the 2nd half this week: My impression was nearly all half foward with a couple of goes at centre bounces. No wing. I don't ever recall seeing him start on a wing in a Peel game.
In the first quarter he played a fair bit in the centre. I didn’t see the second quarter.

Simpson wasn’t a great contributor. Only 11 possessions. He was playing quite well early until he had a terrible turnover at CHB which led to a Perth goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rookie. And yeah, you'd think if it comes to "NOD and Stanley are competing for 1 list spot", NOD's got it.
I’d say we keep both.

Delean some chance to be moved to rookie list??

Kuek has a bit of work ahead to stay on the list. Has rest of WAFL season to show his worth. Corbett goneski and Tabs also likely in trouble.

A call needs to be made on Liam Reidy.

Hughes is done for mine.

Prob the list spot might come down to Worner vs Stanley - that is a right call.

Upgrade Sharp to primary list.

Brodie prob traded out.

Conrad Williams might be in trouble if they are looking at an Irish player.

Primary list out: Corbett, Tabs, Hughes, Delean (to rookie list), Walters (retire?), Brodie (trade?)

Rookie list out: Kuek, Reidy, Sharp (upgraded to primary list)

Rookie confirmation: Voss, Delean
Primary list: Sharp

National Draft 4-5 picks (potential trade in like Baker will reduce that no.)
Rookie draft 1 pick

I’d say we keep both.

Delean some chance to be moved to rookie list??

Kuek has a bit of work ahead to stay on the list. Has rest of WAFL season to show his worth. Corbett goneski and Tabs also likely in trouble.

A call needs to be made on Liam Reidy.

Hughes is done for mine.

Prob the list spot might come down to Worner vs Stanley - that is a right call.

Upgrade Sharp to primary list.

Brodie prob traded out.

Conrad Williams might be in trouble if they are looking at an Irish player.

Primary list out: Corbett, Tabs, Hughes, Delean (to rookie list), Walters (retire?), Brodie (trade?)

Rookie list out: Kuek, Reidy, Sharp (upgraded to primary list)

Rookie confirmation: Voss, Delean
Primary list: Sharp

National Draft 4-5 picks (potential trade in like Baker will reduce that no.)
Rookie draft 1 pick
you've made some really weird list choice calls here

No point giving Delean lifetime DFA, don't move him to the rookie list (If anyone is doing this then its Omac, already DFA, won't get pinched off an ACL)

With Sharp, its much easier to max out his rookie years instead of upgrading him to the main list, flexibility says you max out your rookie years for players unless you are taking 1 or 2 picks in the ND and are forced to upgrade 1 or 2 for the mandatory 3 selections in the draft.

Worner has a year to go on his contract (with the ability to stay on the rookie list for 5 years now) so I doubt he is competing with the list spot for Stanley, it would be Stanley vs Noddy

No point giving Delean lifetime DFA, don't move him to the rookie list (If anyone is doing this then its Omac, already DFA, won't get pinched off an ACL)

With Sharp, its much easier to max out his rookie years instead of upgrading him to the main list, flexibility says you max out your rookie years for players unless you are taking 1 or 2 picks in the ND and are forced to upgrade 1 or 2 for the mandatory 3 selections in the draft.

Worner has a year to go on his contract (with the ability to stay on the rookie list for 5 years now) so I doubt he is competing with the list spot for Stanley, it would be Stanley vs Noddy
When did the five years happen?

Completely forgot Sharp is on the rookie list. Omac is main list as he was picked up as a DFA ahead of the SSP wasn’t he? So our rookie list is:
Worner 3 years
Kuek 2.5 years
Reidy 2 years
Stanley 1.5 years
Jones 1 year
Voss 1 year
Sharp 1 year
Already over the limit of 6 due to Voss replacing Corbett.
Cat B list
Draper 2 years
Williams 2 years
Think Kuek and Reidy might be in trouble if we want to move OMac or Wagner (both already FA for life) to free up main list spots.

I thought it was one of his better games. He is managing to get the out of tackles and confined spaces. Even ole mate commentator said a number of times “Erasmus emerges with the ball no idea how he did that”.

Would be nice if he could add some goal-kicking to his resume though. Seems to kick the ball too high and has kicked a lot of points this year.
Maybe Libba is looking like Erasmus' ceiling and Connor Blakely his floor?

Having a hard nut extractor like Libba on your list who puts his head into the lion's mouth and gets it out to runners is never a bad thing.

I think we have to face the fact that silky skills and decision making/execution may never be Neil's strong suit and concentrate on his one wood, which is getting the hard ball.

Heir apparent for when Fyfe calls it a day, I'd say. But while Fyfe is in the team, I'm not sure you can carry two of those types.

I was just throwing a few options forward.

Not sure how Stanley and NOD are competing for a list spot when one is a rookie list and the other is Primary list.

We haven’t been bothered by Lifetime RFA before and Delean seems miles off it and a long shot to be honest. Happy to defer to better judgement. Probably likely we play out his next season and see how he goes. Happy to retain Sharp on Rookie list.

Not sure how Stanley and NOD are competing for a list spot when one is a rookie list and the other is Primary list.

We haven’t been bothered by Lifetime RFA before and Delean seems miles off it and a long shot to be honest. Happy to defer to better judgement. Probably likely we play out his next season and see how he goes. Happy to retain Sharp on Rookie list.
Umm, Lachie Schultz ring a bell?

To me, the primary vs rookie list delineation doesn't matter too much regarding who stays and who goes. Either way it's a list spot that subtracts from the other (unless you're talking about Cat B rookies or you're at the maximum/under the minimum for either). 42 in total, with 36-38 primary and 4-6 rookie. And as others have mentioned, you can rearrange the rookie and primary 1000 different ways depending on how you wanna use it. Then your 2 Cat B rookie slots.

Other than the Stanley thing, I think your previous breakdown is close to spot on regarding how it should go (gotta bear in mind that we're already at 43 + 2 Cat B, so 1 over):
  • Keep 1 of Reidy or Knobel (preferably Knobel as he's 4 years younger and about as good)
  • Keep 2-3 of Voss, Jones, Tabs, Corbett and Kuek (keep Voss and Jones preferably, and then who knows with Kuek coz there's potential but a soon-to-be 24 year old project key fwd doesn't sound appealing)
  • Sturt, Emmett, Banfield, Wagner stay, Hughes goes. Stanley is looking like a tough cut, NOD probably stays based on what he's shown.
  • Conrad Williams is Cat B, but at the same time btwn the Irish guys and Ryan Bizzell, Conrad's spot looks shaky. Maybe we have some intel that there will be more Cat B slots than currently? Somewhat strange for us to fly 2 Irish guys over.
Out of the 42-man list threshold, that's a maximum of 6 gone, and 5 list spots freed up. Brodie as you suggested looks like one it'd make sense to trade in-contract, so maybe there's another one. But also bear in mind the sheer number of players we've been linked to: so far I think it's Gulden, McDonald (both re-signed), Warner, Bolton (both look unlikely to leave this season), Baker, Cumming, Joe Richards, Jack Martin. This is a team looking to be aggressive in recruiting and casting the net wide. I'd be a bit surprised if we add no more than 1 player during the trade period.

To me, unless we lose a fair few players we really want to retain (and this is Fremantle, so you can hardly count that out), it's tough to see a world where it doesn't come down to "Do we keep a 21 year old Ethan Stanley or draft an 18 year old in what's hyped as a very deep draft?", especially coz over the past couple years we've tended to like the flexibility of keeping a list spot open.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back