2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Itā€™s interesting. Itā€™ll be the right call if we win this weekend and Johnson plays a big part in future weeks.

But what if we lose on Sunday by less than a goal then finish say fourth or fifth when the extra win wouldā€™ve meant came second? Every game is so important for us from now on because both second spot and even missing the eight altogether remain possible. I feel a win comes close to putting into finals, whilst a loss means a lot needs to go our way to finish second.
Itā€™s not a guarantee that Johnson will be better though. His injury could fair up in the 1st quarter, we lose another who is under a cloud and then we are much weaker.

You also have to manage other potential scenarios so giving Brodie or Ras a run might give us a look if itā€™ll work later.

Our 22nd player selection isnā€™t going to cost us a game, especially against Essendon.

Itā€™s interesting. Itā€™ll be the right call if we win this weekend and Johnson plays a big part in future weeks.

But what if we lose on Sunday by less than a goal then finish say fourth or fifth when the extra win wouldā€™ve meant came second? Every game is so important for us from now on because both second spot and even missing the eight altogether remain possible. I feel a win comes close to putting into finals, whilst a loss means a lot needs to go our way to finish second.
Why would you assume Johnson would be the difference between us winning or losing at this point of his career. He plays a bit wing bit inside mid. Both minutes that have been covered well by OMeara and Banfield his absence .

Why would you assume Johnson would be the difference between us winning or losing at this point of his career. He plays a bit wing bit inside mid. Both minutes that have been covered well by OMeara and Banfield his absence .
Height and size make a difference in the midfield. It is not a coincidence that Serong and Brayshaw are doing so well with Fyfe and Darcy in the side. Luckily Essendon aren't a very tall midfield.

Height and size make a difference in the midfield. It is not a coincidence that Serong and Brayshaw are doing so well with Fyfe and Darcy in the side. Luckily Essendon aren't a very tall midfield.

What makes you confident?
Because I think he has tremendous work ethic and when he can join in a full preseason I think he'll improve a ton. First year players cant join in all sessions during preseason so I think Cooper will be way fitter next season if he gets a full preseason without injury. Even watching training last preseason Cooper was elite with ball in hand. Once he gets a bit bigger and fitter I think he'll win more of the ball. He's also contracted to 2027 which is a sign the club has faith in him long term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you think he has and/or lacks that makes you think a behind the ball role is his best/only real hope to make it compared to fwd/mid/wing?
I don't think he kicks enough goals as a forward and I'm not sure he could push out any of our midfielders. He is not a prolific ball winner and never really has been going on his predraft numbers. He averaged 20 touches in the Coates Talent League. There is clearly a player there though. So I found myself asking where he might play given his skillset and I saw half back as a good option. I think he could play a very simliar game to Brandon Walker.

I don't think he kicks enough goals as a forward and I'm not sure he could push out any of our midfielders. He is not a prolific ball winner and never really has been going on his predraft numbers. He averaged 20 touches in the Coates Talent League. There is clearly a player there though. So I found myself asking where he might play given his skillset and I saw half back as a good option. I think he could play a very simliar game to Brandon Walker.
I think he probably could do that role but I like developing him in the forward role

I think his pressure has been pretty good at WAFL level, he loves a tackle

Needs to build some muscle and that will translate to AFL level

Iā€™ve spent the last few months saying Simpson should go to half back. Not because I donā€™t think he can be a good half forward/midfielder, but because it will help his development.

Realistically heā€™ll get probably double the touches playing off half back than he is now, heā€™ll get to see the play develop and work on his decision making. Itā€™ll just get him used to the speed so much quicker. And simply having the ball in his hands will give him more confidence than unrewarded running off half forward and a few tackles.

If he stars, then great. We could have two Clarkā€™s running off half back. Otherwise he goes back to half forward better for the run.

Half forward can be a wasteland for a young player, I wonder if Harry Sheezel would have come on quite as quick if he got stuck waiting for the ball to come to him on a forward flank.

Solid reasons. I think his shot numbers right now aren't too bad, though he profiles more like a fwd-mid/mid-fwd type than a goalsneak. Beyond the numbers, he doesn't have the goal sense or marking game that a Delean has, even though their numbers scoreboard wise are pretty identical (it's the everything else that Delean has to work on, hence being sent down to WAFL reserves). I expect Cooper's gotten a fair few shots from holding the ball, coz his pressure game is strong. Others have developed that goal sense in time though, maybe he'll be one of them.

As for accumulation, could have to do with role and/or injuries in his draft year holding back his development, but again the high level accumulators usually show it straight away.
Iā€™ve spent the last few months saying Simpson should go to half back. Not because I donā€™t think he can be a good half forward/midfielder, but because it will help his development.

Realistically heā€™ll get probably double the touches playing off half back than he is now, heā€™ll get to see the play develop and work on his decision making. Itā€™ll just get him used to the speed so much quicker. And simply having the ball in his hands will give him more confidence than unrewarded running off half forward and a few tackles.

If he stars, then great. We could have two Clarkā€™s running off half back. Otherwise he goes back to half forward better for the run.

Half forward can be a wasteland for a young player, I wonder if Harry Sheezel would have come on quite as quick if he got stuck waiting for the ball to come to him on a forward flank.
Like this reasoning. The dilemma btwn Peel's winning motive and Freo's developmental motive might stop that happening. Freo have a few half backs down at Peel who are better at that role than Cooper is, but Cooper's probably up there in fwd half impact per touch. Again worth noting that going back might also help his aerial game, which is probably a weakness right now.

If he stars, then greac. We could have two Clarkā€™s running off half back. Otherwise he goes back to half forward better for the run.

I agree with what you're saying bar this part:
If he stars, then great. We could have two Clarkā€™s running off half back.
We already have two Clark's. Corey Wagner is the second Clark in recent times and he's just signed a contract extension. .
For what its worth I think Simpson spending time at half back and half forward is a great idea for the next year or so. I'd love to see him doing the kick ins when playing at Peel as I think he'd be superb in that role.

RTB did this with Cerra before he moved into the midfield and it worked quite well for us.

But I think Cerra forgot how to play half back because he stunk it up last week when Carlton played him ther last week.

It may help Simpson but he wouldn't get a game in front of Clark, Walker , Wagner or Chapman at Half Back at the moment.

Cooper looked good in preseason and his first few games but he copped some heavy bumps that seemed to dent his confidence.

Another preseason and and building his body and speed will help him because he can obviously play.

Brodie named on a wing again, wonder how long he plays there this week. Jones at CHB and Knobel in the ruck against Eastland should be a good test for the young fella. Simpson and Reidy both on the plane (probably as a chance to catch up with family).
Looking forward to see if NOD can back up last weeks effort and hopefully see Stanley improve.
IMG_0437.png

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back