2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Simpson's form is going under the radar a bit because the role means you naturally go missing a bit. Good tackle numbers, impactfull 10+ possessions with goals kicked.

Hopefully he takes Banfields spot in the 23

I actually watched 90% of yesterday's match because I'm in to self punishment apparently. I'll put down some quick thoughts: if for any reason than to help steer the conversation back to WAFL and away from senior team scenarios and idiotic talk about how Brodie or Ras should have been playing half forward instead of Banners.

Speaking of Brodie and Ras I thought they weren't great. Cleary we won the contest (54 to 37 inside 50s and a fair percentage of the Swans was in the last quarter when they were already 6 goals down. The commentator was trying to talk up a comeback until well past the 20 minute mark of the last which gave me a chuckle. LIKE A BULLET FROM A GUN.) but their handling on the spread was awful even in the conditions. Particularly in the second half when away from the mud patches and with no further rain the game was semi normal. Ras is definitely not going to make it as an AFL player unless he puts on weight.

Emmet was good. Was a level above in everything. His disposal was just his usual level and since everyone else could barely get it on their boot this promoted him automatically. Was a bit cross and belted a couple of guys.

Kuek was good given the conditions, really came into it in the second when, as above, conditions moderated. Doesn't know how to ruck but got his hands to it.

Knobel. Best ruck out there but Swanies had their normal ruck out. (Or dropped? Can't be bothered checking).

Davies had nothing to do. No Cat 1's made but I could see him thinking about it a couple of times

MacDonald. A level above WAFL even off 20 weeks out.

Simpson. Just about the only player out there to stand out as handling the conditions like a ball playing AFL player. Not enough footy as usual however.

Aish. Other than Aish who looked well above WALF even not trying very much, which he wasn't.

Walters. Struggled on limited minutes other than with intent and disposal quality.

Tabs. Pretty good in the wet for a key forward with a busted back.

Hughes. Excellent play in the conditions. Like Emmett his skills don't seem to scale back in the wet.

Stanley. Not a day for playing fatside, but when he got it made good decisions and executed them well in the conditions.

I actually watched 90% of yesterday's match because I'm in to self punishment apparently. I'll put down some quick thoughts: if for any reason than to help steer the conversation back to WAFL and away from senior team scenarios and idiotic talk about how Brodie or Ras should have been playing half forward instead of Banners.

Speaking of Brodie and Ras I thought they weren't great. Cleary we won the contest (54 to 37 inside 50s and a fair percentage of the Swans was in the last quarter when they were already 6 goals down. The commentator was trying to talk up a comeback until well past the 20 minute mark of the last which gave me a chuckle. LIKE A BULLET FROM A GUN.) but their handling on the spread was awful even in the conditions. Particularly in the second half when away from the mud patches and with no further rain the game was semi normal. Ras is definitely not going to make it as an AFL player unless he puts on weight.

Emmet was good. Was a level above in everything. His disposal was just his usual level and since everyone else could barely get it on their boot this promoted him automatically. Was a bit cross and belted a couple of guys.

Kuek was good given the conditions, really came into it in the second when, as above, conditions moderated. Doesn't know how to ruck but got his hands to it.

Knobel. Best ruck out there but Swanies had their normal ruck out. (Or dropped? Can't be bothered checking).

Davies had nothing to do. No Cat 1's made but I could see him thinking about it a couple of times

Simpson. Just about the only player out there to stand out as handling the conditions like a ball playing AFL player. Not enough footy as usual however.

Aish. Other than Aish who looked well above WALF even not trying very much, which he wasn't.

Walters. Struggled on limited minutes other than with intent and disposal quality.

Hughes. Excellent play in the conditions. Like Emmett his skills don't seem to scale back in the wet.

Stanley. Not a day for playing fatside, but when he got it made good decisions and executed them well in the conditions.
Thanks for the write up, surely Ras and Brodie could offer more than Banfield does though?

Genuine question. I just saw on Peels social media that Delean and Murphy are playing ressies. I don’t follow Peel closely so was just wondering why AFL listed players are playing wafl ressies. It’s not a great comp so are they both a mile off AFL standard?
Set limit on AFL player allowance in the side.
Rule to stop the senior team becoming too strong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the write up, surely Ras and Brodie could offer more than Banfield does though?
Not on the forward flank. Or the wing. Hell Brodie can't even effectively contribute there at WAFL level. On ball or bust. Ras has been tried rotating on the flank a couple of times at AFL level and it was embarrassing. Maybe if we were a rebuilding team you'd play Ras on the coachside wing till it was time for him to graduate inside or it's clear he's a failure, but we're not. Hell were in the top 3 less than 3 weeks ago.

I personally would love to persist with him. He and Simpson showed that in their brief runs in the AFL their best traits can translate to the AFL.
Yea look I agree that with Stanley there’s definitely something to work with there but honestly across the league I reckon you could find 30 odd players not getting a game that you could say have “something “ .
I mean it’s the whole reason they’re on an AFL list to begin with.

Think Dockeroo made a point of this and kinda agree we tend to hold onto depth players for too long.

But with what’s considered universally to be such a strong draft depth wise and a squeeze for lists spots I struggle to see how he hangs on

Last edited:
Seems like we fast tracked trying to cement Emmett into the team because we wanted a quick replacement for Schultz and he was the closest player to that archetype, but yes, a fit Sturt should be ahead of him every week. I think Erasmus should be in the half forward role that Banfield plays, would offer far more.

Simpsons deserves that development spot in the team next year.

Thought

Emmet was very good ,

I really hope we can find a spot for Kuek he seems to have that something that maybe a full pre season following his knee operation may bring out.

He showed a lot of promise kicking those 6 goals against Perth before doing his knee and is still reasonably young.

Stanleys problem is Sharp is a pretty similar player tbh, Sharp has a few years on him and about 45 games of AFL experience now

Stanley probably a slightly better kick but Sharps tank is much better

Stanleys problem is Sharp is a pretty similar player tbh, Sharp has a few years on him and about 45 games of AFL experience now

Stanley probably a slightly better kick but Sharps tank is much better
Slightly better? Maybe I'm still on the Stanley coolaid but his decision making and disposal is about as far ahead of Sharps as Sharps tank is to him IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back