Pelchen Can't Help Himself .... Again

Remove this Banner Ad

The Saints need to be working smarter here, not putting demands into the marketplace to get the other clubs off-side.

No-one is going to pay overs for Dal Santo even if he is a decent player, however, Pelchen is going to play all hardball like we all too well know he tries to and will not get anything.

Appears your evaluation of Pelchen and the Saints was on the money. Sadly. :thumbsu:

He's mad. Let's sack him

McEvoy, pick 22
Savage, 17, 18(buddy compo

What a douche....
/sarcasm EFA

Always good to read the BF experts

Hang on, I'm no expert but McEvoy is only 24 yrs with less than 100 games played and much of his career still in front of him, whereas Dal has already played his best and wont be playing in the Saints next premiership. You cant compare the two if that's what you're doing.

Hang on, I'm no expert but McEvoy is only 24 yrs with less than 100 games played and much of his career still in front of him, whereas Dal has already played his best and wont be playing in the Saints next premiership. You cant compare the two if that's what you're doing.

Where did I mention Dal?

I think ppl look at the Dal situation in the wrong matter, he's on the market only at an inflated price, we're equally happy to retain him and he's equally happy to stay, the conception that he wants out is plainly wrong.-

I don't think he mentioned Dal at all actually, just taking everyone through the McEvoy trade again to point out how it is a good one on paper for the Saints. Most of us on the big Footy trade thread have been talking about trading Macca for months so it was not a surprise for us to see it happen.

I think people miss the point of the McEvoy trade. We all know he is a good player and that he is what Hawks need. Saints assessment is that Hickey will be the better player (most who have seen a bit of the two would agree) and that Hickey will be maturing when Saints have rebuilt their list in 2- 3 years time.

So whilst McEvoy would still be valuable to the Saints in the next 3 years, there is every chance he would be second stringer in 2017. Getting a first round pick for McEvoy is a good get, with maybe some risk attached. But Saints need to rebuild their midfield and defence, they believe they have the ruck spot covered for theiir next challenge.

I see this trade as a very logical trade for the two clubs that did it. Hawks will get 18th pick for Buddy, not a bad result to get 17 and Savage (in the first non compromised draft in a few years) for McEvoy.

I think people miss the point of the McEvoy trade. We all know he is a good player and that he is what Hawks need. Saints assessment is that Hickey will be the better player (most who have seen a bit of the two would agree) and that Hickey will be maturing when Saints have rebuilt their list in 2- 3 years time.

So whilst McEvoy would still be valuable to the Saints in the next 3 years, there is every chance he would be second stringer in 2017. Getting a first round pick for McEvoy is a good get, with maybe some risk attached. But Saints need to rebuild their midfield and defence, they believe they have the ruck spot covered for theiir next challenge.

I see this trade as a very logical trade for the two clubs that did it. Hawks will get 18th pick for Buddy, not a bad result to get 17 and Savage (in the first non compromised draft in a few years) for McEvoy.

Problem is Savage plus pick 17 is not reasonable compo IMO!!

Is he trying to destroy your club??

Quite the opposite actually

Not sure what ppl expect out of trading, it's never a way to build a club, drafting does that, trading allows you to fix your deficiencies in a timely manner, our list is a mess and there is no quick fix, Pelchen's trading and drafting has been shrewd in trying to replenish an entire list not just a fwd line/midfield. He's been trading/drafting a base of a team, the stars will be drafted in the next few years.

As much as I like Ben. He's not a great ruckman, slow around the ground, but takes a great contested mark. He's a far greater addition to the hawks simply b/c he releases the likes of Hale/Roughy to play more time fwd, than he is a loss to us.

Whilst we gain a fringe Hawthorn Midfielder who will add depth that we don't have and will probably slot straight into the 22 as our kids grow, and 2 first round draft picks who can be anything.

IMO it's a great win/win/win trade

Where did I mention Dal?

I think ppl look at the Dal situation in the wrong matter, he's on the market only at an inflated price, we're equally happy to retain him and he's equally happy to stay, the conception that he wants out is plainly wrong.-

The OP/thread is about Dal & Pelchen.

I think the criticism directed at Pelchen is warranted, and my post was a good example why.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quite the opposite actually

Not sure what ppl expect out of trading, it's never a way to build a club, drafting does that, trading allows you to fix your deficiencies in a timely manner, our list is a mess and there is no quick fix, Pelchen's trading and drafting has been shrewd in trying to replenish an entire list not just a fwd line/midfield. He's been trading/drafting a base of a team, the stars will be drafted in the next few years.

As much as I like Ben. He's not a great ruckman, slow around the ground, but takes a great contested mark. He's a far greater addition to the hawks simply b/c he releases the likes of Hale/Roughy to play more time fwd, than he is a loss to us.

Whilst we gain a fringe Hawthorn Midfielder who will add depth that we don't have and will probably slot straight into the 22 as our kids grow, and 2 first round draft picks who can be anything.

IMO it's a great win/win/win trade

a fringe and speculative pick 17 or later probably , in all likelihood would amount to little IMO. If you have to trade trade but you should have traded later in a stronger draft IMO maybe a couple of years away for a better pick after you got some quality young blood already in via the draft and can build on that.

Atm what are you building on?? Hickey??

What do you base this on??

a fringe and speculative pick 17 or later probably , in all likelihood would amount to little IMO. If you have to trade trade but you should have traded later in a stronger draft IMO maybe a couple of years away for a better pick after you got some quality young blood already in via the draft and can build on that.

Atm what are you building on?? Hickey??
Saad too.

What do you base this on??

Even if they are right about Hickey, at least if they had Hickey and McEvoy at least they could argue they are reasonably solid in the ruck to attract and keep the youngsters via the draft, possibly snag a FA at reasonable age, for a while before trading off McEvoy if necessary.

I think what they fall to realise is Reiwoldt , Montagna and Dal Santo are running around but for St Kilda that is in the past and irrelevant going forward in terms of their club, what you are selling is the future and atm the Saints are selling very little atm IMO

Even if they are right about Hickey, at least if they had Hickey and McEvoy at least they could argue they are reasonably solid in the ruck to attract and keep the youngsters via the draft, possibly snag a FA at reasonable age, for a while before trading off McEvoy if necessary.

I think what they fall to realise is Reiwoldt , Montagna and Dal Santo are running around but for St Kilda that is in the past and irrelevant going forward in terms of their club, what you are selling is the future and atm the Saints are selling very little atm IMO

I fail to see St Kilda's vision for the future, and therefore I wouldn't have let McEvoy go.

Ah... probably watching Mac & Hickey week in week out.

Ha ha, but it is not their X factor rather the foundation they provide for the youngsters to develop in the future which creates the belief amongst the hearts of your fans.

No disrespect to you older champions, but a bit of bling from an aging trio is not going to re-kindle the hope of the Saints that eventually the team will re-develop and become a force again!!

Atm IMO, the Saints need cause to believe, and unfortunately NDS, Montagna, and Nick R, through no fault of their own are not part of that equation unlike McEvoy until he was traded to the Hawks. Now is Savage and pick 17 going to be part of that equation?? Less likely IMO than McEvoy!:cool:

will end up being a bigger Rabble than my Boys.

That's going to take some serious effort!

In all seriousness, we've still got plenty of experience & are nowhere near when the Dees found themselves. Pelchen & Bains know the next 2-3 years are our 'draft window' & we need to take advantage of that. We have a good core of 19-21 year olds that will be the solid base for a very good side. The next few drafts need to find the creme of the crop.... mids this year, key positions next year.

The most important thing is having the player development side of things in place... that is where Melbourne screwed up IMO- not so much cutting McDonald, Green, Bruce & co

That's going to take some serious effort!

In all seriousness, we've still got plenty of experience & are nowhere near when the Dees found themselves. Pelchen & Bains know the next 2-3 years are our 'draft window' & we need to take advantage of that. We have a good core of 19-21 year olds that will be the solid base for a very good side. The next few drafts need to find the creme of the crop.... mids this year, key positions next year.

The most important thing is having the player development side of things in place... that is where Melbourne screwed up IMO- not so much cutting McDonald, Green, Bruce & co

Any truth in rumours regarding Watters' future? He needs to stay for stability and continuity, but just the fact that rumours like this are abound makes you wonder about St Kilda's direction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pelchen Can't Help Himself .... Again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back