Perfect example why Hase should get 1 year

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure you're not talking about Des?

Des was far from fat or lazy yesterday, he threw himself at the contest at every chance.
Hase defensively is a turnstile and he is so slow and lazy it isn't funny.

Des was far from fat or lazy yesterday, he threw himself at the contest at every chance.
Hase defensively is a turnstile and he is so slow and lazy it isn't funny.
Really? Is that why Des got only 15 touches yesterday of which only two were contested? Why he had one clearance versus eight clearances for Hase?

BTW, Hase had 27 touches of which 14 were contested. Also, Des's disposal was shithouse - 47% efficiency versus 81% efficiency for Hase.

That bastard Hasleby! Play more like Des!

Really? Is that why Des got only 15 touches yesterday of which only two were contested? Why he had one clearance versus eight clearances for Hase?

BTW, Hase had 27 touches of which 14 were contested. Also, Des's disposal was shithouse - 47% efficiency versus 81% efficiency for Hase.

That bastard Hasleby! Play more like Des!

Differing roles will affect your possession count.
You would also expect high efficency when 20 of your 27 touches are handballs.

I would like to see the stats for Hases opponents this season compared to his.

Differing roles will affect your possession count.
You would also expect high efficency when 20 of your 27 touches are handballs.

I would like to see the stats for Hases opponents this season compared to his.
Damn that Hasleby. Stop winning the contested ball and using it well. Doesn't play his role as well enough as Des who doesn't win the contested ball and uses it poorly. We need more players who only get the ball when the side is playing well!

Yes, it would be good to compare both Des and Hase's opponents.

I was of the opinion we should give Hase a one year extension but I have changed my mind over the past couple of weeks and to be honest he seems a bit like a Josh Carr at the moment. Is in Fremantle's best side but at 28 and not one of the quickest players in the game he will be a bench player at most clubs.

If he doesnt accept the reduced 1 year contract then let him go in the draft or even trade him if need be, we may squeeze a 2nd or 3rd rounder out of someone for him (unlikely i know).

Harvey and co are on the right track with the youth. Draft a few more and Hase will fall down the pecking order.

Be sad to see him play out his career elsewhere tho.

I seriously don't know WTF is happening here with all this.

Hase was again amongst our best players yesterday, is clearly in our top 4 or 5 players at the club, in fact is amongst the top 4 or 5 players we've ever had at the club and yet they still won't offer him 2 years!!

I've put up with a lot as a Freo member for the past 15 years, but if they let Hase walk, then this takes the cake. Fair dinkum.

I understand that pace is the be all and end all of the modern game. But sheesh, Hase has a quicker mind and quicker hands than anyone on our list.

He is invaluable to our team. This treatment of him is deplorable IMHO.

To be completely honest I am really tiring of the Hasleby rubbish.

I'm disgusted by the way he (indirectly) seems to go about his contract renewals....why does it have to get 'dirty' every time?? Yes Colin Young is his manager but he is ultimately responsible and he seems to be acting like a royal pratt!

Yes I believe he is an important member of the team, HOWEVER, no individual is bigger than the team and at this delicate time in freo's history, it's time for the club to stick by their guns.

Hasleby has been great for freo but I personally wouldnt say we 'owe' it to him, or we need to show him loyalty. After all, wasn't HE the one who requested a trade last contract when he didnt get what he wanted?? Is he part of the leadership group? No, he aint. I think he is a little selfish and I would be pissed off if the club crumbled and gave him what he wants.

If he is so willing to take the risk in the draft then let him go, he has the perfect example in Josh to see how that can turn out. If he REALLY thinks he has 2-3 good years left in him, then sign the bloody 1 year deal and you'll get another deal the following year!

I'm afraid in this instance I am behind the club 100% and if that means signing anyone over the age of 27 on 1 year deals only, then STICK WITH IT.

/Rant

To be completely honest I am really tiring of the Hasleby rubbish.

I'm disgusted by the way he (indirectly) seems to go about his contract renewals....why does it have to get 'dirty' every time?? Yes Colin Young is his manager but he is ultimately responsible and he seems to be acting like a royal pratt!

Yes I believe he is an important member of the team, HOWEVER, no individual is bigger than the team and at this delicate time in freo's history, it's time for the club to stick by their guns.

Hasleby has been great for freo but I personally wouldnt say we 'owe' it to him, or we need to show him loyalty. After all, wasn't HE the one who requested a trade last contract when he didnt get what he wanted?? Is he part of the leadership group? No, he aint. I think he is a little selfish and I would be pissed off if the club crumbled and gave him what he wants.

If he is so willing to take the risk in the draft then let him go, he has the perfect example in Josh to see how that can turn out. If he REALLY thinks he has 2-3 good years left in him, then sign the bloody 1 year deal and you'll get another deal the following year!

I'm afraid in this instance I am behind the club 100% and if that means signing anyone over the age of 27 on 1 year deals only, then STICK WITH IT.

/Rant

Colin Young is not Haslebys manager. Anthony Van Der Wielen is Hase's manager.

I seriously don't know WTF is happening here with all this.

Hase was again amongst our best players yesterday, is clearly in our top 4 or 5 players at the club, in fact is amongst the top 4 or 5 players we've ever had at the club and yet they still won't offer him 2 years!!

I've put up with a lot as a Freo member for the past 15 years, but if they let Hase walk, then this takes the cake. Fair dinkum.

I understand that pace is the be all and end all of the modern game. But sheesh, Hase has a quicker mind and quicker hands than anyone on our list.

He is invaluable to our team. This treatment of him is deplorable IMHO.

Are you Paul Haselby? No way does he deserve a 2 year contract. He is just doing it for the money. Pay as you go for players like him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club owes him **** all, the club has paid him handsomely for the past 9-10 years.

If anything he owes the club for not completely living up to his end of the bargain, he has admitted freely he hasn't always trained and prepared as well as he should have and that has shown with his on field performance at times.

Sign a one year deal, have another good season then you get another year and so on. If he truly thought he had more 3 good seasons of footy in him this wouldn't be an issue.

The club owes him **** all, the club has paid him handsomely for the past 9-10 years.

If anything he owes the club for not completely living up to his end of the bargain, he has admitted freely he hasn't always trained and prepared as well as he should have and that has shown with his on field performance at times.
Sounds like Des again.

I don't hate Hase at all, i'm just disappointed with the way he is going about this everytime he comes out of contract.
He is supposed to be the ultimate clubman down there but is showing he is the complete opposite. And after watching some of his piss weak attempts to tackle and chase on the weekend my opinion of him hads dwindled.

./quote]

I was at the game, Hasleby seemed very slow and I don't see any talk or leadership from him (not the only one).

At 28 with a recent knee injury and Gold Coast caming why would we offer him anything more than a one contract with minimal pay.

Rather lose Hasleby than Palmer or any of the other kids. Smart move by the club.

Same goes for Headland as well.

sorry if im trolling but a little birdy gave me an inside tip that hase wont budge on the 2 year deal and if he has to,further more,im predicting no team would be interested into picking him up anyway,so for his sake,i hope he swollows his pill and takes the 1 year.
p.s - i hope he doesnt leave, he is my favourite dockers player.

Hasleby is a player who knows he has football smarts and skills so he has coasted his whole career on that. Sadly as abrasive as that sounds no one can deny that he has done the bare minimum in terms of off field work for his whole career.

Fact is, he is not in the leadership group for a reason. He has flouted his contract issues multiple times in the media for many years now. If he was concerned about the club. He would do whats best for the club which is set an example for the young kids and play his heart out next season to earn another year after that much in the same vein of shane crawford.

Just because you have given years to a club, doesn't mean you have an excuse to not earn more and not be hungry to set an example on field and off field. Holding the club ransom and trying to elevate yourself higher by threatening to walk out is hardly the kind of leader you want around. God knows Pavlich would never do that.

I am genuinely surprised at some of the comments on this board re Hasleby.

Has the game become so much of a cut-throat corporate industry that we treat our best players like this?

This isn't Murph or Dodd or Crowley we're talking about here.

We're talking about the 2000 Rising Star Winner. 2003 All Australian. We're talking about someone who has 3 top-3 Doig Medal placings to his name and is a genuine big game player too.

If chops-a-must is to be believed (yeah, risky I know...;)) it can be argued that his lack of pace and fitness can be directly attributable to our club's mismanagement of his back injury whilst a teenager.

So yeah, I DO think the club owes him. And NO, I am not Paul Hasleby, but fair dinkum, I must be one of the few people around here who actually appreciates him.

Give him 2 years FFS.

Hasleby is a player who knows he has football smarts and skills so he has coasted his whole career on that. Sadly as abrasive as that sounds no one can deny that he has done the bare minimum in terms of off field work for his whole career.

Fact is, he is not in the leadership group for a reason. He has flouted his contract issues multiple times in the media for many years now. If he was concerned about the club. He would do whats best for the club which is set an example for the young kids and play his heart out next season to earn another year after that much in the same vein of shane crawford.

Just because you have given years to a club, doesn't mean you have an excuse to not earn more and not be hungry to set an example on field and off field. Holding the club ransom and trying to elevate yourself higher by threatening to walk out is hardly the kind of leader you want around. God knows Pavlich would never do that.

I agree with all of that, there have been times in the past where paul has aired his grievences through the media when he should have just shut up, every time he goes to the contract table, he seems to go public threatening to walk out on the club, you never hear anything like that from pav, sandi, hayden and i bet you wont from tarrant either, he just seems to me to be a very selfish person who puts himself and money ahead of the club... but hey thats just the way i percieve the situation, and lets face it we do not know the whole story

I am genuinely surprised at some of the comments on this board re Hasleby.

Has the game become so much of a cut-throat corporate industry that we treat our best players like this?

This isn't Murph or Dodd or Crowley we're talking about here.

We're talking about the 2000 Rising Star Winner. 2003 All Australian. We're talking about someone who has 3 top-3 Doig Medal placings to his name and is a genuine big game player too.

If chops-a-must is to be believed (yeah, risky I know...;)) it can be argued that his lack of pace and fitness can be directly attributable to our club's mismanagement of his back injury whilst a teenager.

So yeah, I DO think the club owes him. And NO, I am not Paul Hasleby, but fair dinkum, I must be one of the few people around here who actually appreciates him.

Give him 2 years FFS.

firstly you cant put crowley in teh same boat as the other two duds, crowley is a solid player who loves our club and always gives 100%, the other two are just horrible footballers

secondly, there is no doubt hasleby was a great player, and is more than handy now, i dont think anyone would question that

thirdly, hase had a bad back, we all know this, but he was definetly not a fast player before this, and he was never going to be, the fact that the game has sped up so much in the last ten years has really shown just how slow he really is, no doubt his back hasnt helped, but lets not pretend he was going to be a quick player before the injury as clearly he never was

fourth, why does the club owe him? he has given loyal service, but lets face it he has made a hell of a lot of money, and his committment to training and being at the required fitness has been an ongoing question, in fact the only time i have ever seen him really up to the required fitness, was after he took a significant pay cut at the end of 07, unfortunately we never got to see how good he was going to be, ironically because the extra fitness he gained allowed him to get to the contest in time to have selwood fall on his knee, wrecking his season....

paul ahs been a great player, but he isnt pavlich, who has been elite virtually ever since he got into the comp, the game is passing him by, we should not in my opinion, be paying massive dollars and giving multiple year contracts to players who could be past it in 1 years time

Fair enough, we'll just have to agree to disagree I spose.

But I will maintain that 2 years is not so OTT. Pay him what every other best 22 player gets. He gets a bonus cheque from Channel 10 anyway...

(And the only reason I chose Crowley [whom I admire greatly] was because I see him as a best 22 player who isn't a "star" like Pav, Hase or Hayden.)

Unfortunately, loyalty and seniority haven't been rewarded in society since the 80's. We live in a performance-based world, where you need to prove your value every day, not over a long period. If someone is better at what you do, then you're most likely going to be replaced by them. Sad, but true.

It's the nature of competition, Hase is competing not only against opposition players but also against his own team mates. He will need to either accept this and lift his game or simply move on.

I'd give him a one year extension, and see if he improves next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Perfect example why Hase should get 1 year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back