Peter Matera new coach at Freo?

Remove this Banner Ad

theorangeapple said:
I am almost certain that both those guys were recruited after stints the WAFL.

Suma was kind of connected with them when the host club arrangement was in place during his time at Souths. Micale has never been connected with the Dockers as far as I am aware and yes both were recruited as coaches of WAFL clubs. Dockers would do well to promote their own WAFL coaches, like a Peter German or a Ashley Prescott, rather than trying to steal ours.

theorangeapple said:
You guys should try and develop some coaches of your own. I dont want to preach, but I always have this feeling that Freo have a mentality of thinking that the grass is always greener on the other sides. Always trying to recruit coaches/ players from other clubs.

Interesting that on the Eagles Board they are praising the club for thinking "outside the square" and looking for a coach from a different background. eg interstate or other club background.

Geez it appears that CitrusCider just loves preaching, try the same sermon at the Eagles Board.

Still think it's a pity Ben Allan put his family in front of high level footy coaching, good on him for his priorities but I reckon he could have done some good work with the Freo team.

masai said:
Interesting that on the Eagles Board they are praising the club for thinking "outside the square" and looking for a coach from a different background. eg interstate or other club background.

That is only because we dont want to re-unite the '92 + '94 premiership boys club. I doubt someone like McKenna/ Matera would bring much in that we dont already know. I new coach from Vic who knows Vic conditions and Vic clubs would be much more value.

coasting said:
Dockers would do well to promote their own WAFL coaches, like a Peter German or a Ashley Prescott, rather than trying to steal ours.

German - very over rated, did B all at Peel and Subi has faded.

Prescott - worth a look at.

Turner - done well with a so so bunch of players.

Jason Ball - recently retired players may be able to engender some input on the selection panel and young players.

Dimmer - I've rated him highly for a long time (even when he played for the Royals).

Bill Duckworth - doing very well at North Beach.

Just for the record, Tony Micale was coach of Sth Freo when the club was aligned with the Dockers in 1999 (lost the GF to West Perth). He then moved to East Perth for the hat-trick of flags 2000-2002 - the Royals were aligned with the Eagles for some of this time. I think he coached East Freo's premiership in 1998 as well.

theorangeapple said:
You guys should try and develop some coaches of your own. I dont want to preach, but I always have this feeling that Freo have a mentality of thinking that the grass is always greener on the other sides. Always trying to recruit coaches/ players from other clubs.

You fair dinkum numb-skull. Worsfold spent a year at Carlton under David Parkin. Sumich coached at South Fremantle from 99 to 2001. Micale coached Fremantle sides fom 93 to 99. And new guy Neil Ross is from the Oakleigh Chargers.

Then look at every other club in the league and where they get their coaches.

Dr Ralph Dagg said:
You fair dinkum numb-skull. Worsfold spent a year at Carlton under David Parkin. Sumich coached at South Fremantle from 99 to 2001. Micale coached Fremantle sides fom 93 to 99. And new guy Neil Ross is from the Oakleigh Chargers.

Geez Dr Ralph... don't you know you should never rain on a weevils supporters parade when they are having a go at Freo.

Of course it's only FFC that looks to coaches at other clubs when looking to employ. We're bad, remember?

ImperialPurple said:
Geez Dr Ralph... don't you know you should never rain on a weevils supporters parade when they are having a go at Freo.

Of course it's only FFC that looks to coaches at other clubs when looking to employ. We're bad, remember?

Yeah, its amazing the pontification about Freo -- even from some of our own supporters -- that we are this really carp football club. Sure we've finished 7th, 9th and 9th over the last three seasons. That still means there are seven clubs below us. In particular, Richmond, Hawthorn, Carlton, Western Bulldogs and Collingwood have much worse records in terms of team performance and general club administration over the last three years.

But somehow we are the only club that makes mistakes or doesn't perform to potential.

ImperialPurple said:

I made this comment in relation to the Weevils yesterday, they are looking outside their mob to improve the gene pool after all incest in their coaching recruitment, well that is what they are saying.

Coaches from different environments allows a good mix of ideas.

lol good one dr ralph!

collingwood has a poor admin lol almost fell off my chair

finished poorly and still made a massive profit, holly crap what a poor admin

injuries to key players aside we will make the 8 this coming yr with at this stage a younger and weaker list than yours and still retain a massive profit from our "poor" admin's output

good post dr

as for matera coaching - he's not up to it, yet but your club will prob still appoint him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tarrantcantkick said:
as for matera coaching - he's not up to it, yet but your club will prob still appoint him

Let's talk about great appointments, let's take on Scotty Cummings as a coach!

Dr Ralph Dagg said:

I think numskull is a tad rich.

Obviously every coach has a background. How many of them were high profile assistants being offered $200k per annum to join the eagles?

None of our current assistants were 'well renowned' AFL assistants, we didnt poach them. We got them as virtual unknowns and now you guys are chasing them.

If you guys followed our approach to getting those assistants, you would get someone like Darren Harris or Peter German. But no, the dockers want the highest profile assistant on the market. It hasnt got anything to do with the club itself, its to do with Schwab and his mentality that 'other is always better'. That is why you guys are so aggressive during trade week. Schwab likes the thrill of the chase.

theorangeapple said:
That is why you guys are so aggressive during trade week. Schwab likes the thrill of the chase.

Yep that was so evident this year! You're dead right! Can't fault you there! Well done Einstein!

When on earth are these opposition supporters going to give up on repeating the same dribble every time and act as if they are the first person to ever say it? Do they really think they are that original in their docker bashing?

fat wombat said:
Yep that was so evident this year! You're dead right! Can't fault you there! Well done Einstein!

Thats one year. And to be honest, you guys dont have much to offer other clubs. Freo have been the most active trading club in the league and I wouldnt mind betting they have gone through a large number of assistants in comparision with other clubs.

Look over your history from when Schwab joined the club. Within the first 2 months of arriving he traded away the #1 draft pick. I cannot rememer that happening before in the modern history of the draft. He also got Headland for pick 3 and 19. And got Carr for pick 11, 38 and 52.

fat wombat said:
When on earth are these opposition supporters going to give up on repeating the same dribble every time and act as if they are the first person to ever say it? Do they really think they are that original in their docker bashing?

Would love to see another thread where someone has questioned the dockers coach recruiting method. Will stand correct, fatty.

theorangeapple said:
Would love to see another thread where someone has questioned the dockers coach recruiting method. Will stand correct, fatty.

Read again! I responded and quoted your comments regarding trading. I would have heard the same thing written by about 50 different people, probably including yourself. So retract your correction princess!

tarrantcantkick said:
lol good one dr ralph!

collingwood has a poor admin lol almost fell off my chair finished poorly and still made a massive profit, holly crap what a poor admin

I wasn't referring specifically to Collingwood admin but now that you mention it. Your footy department has big problems and that's from your own President. And there's plenty who think you're recruiting has been suspect for quite a few years now. Look at howm many have been cut from the list. Either they were carp to start with or they haven't got developed.

fat wombat said:
Read again! I responded and quoted your comments regarding trading. I would have heard the same thing written by about 50 different people, probably including yourself. So retract your correction princess!

Alright, I get where you are coming from. I used the trading as an example to show Schwab's aggressive characteristic as a CEO which leads you guys to poach an assistant like Harvey. I wasnt necessarily criticising the trading, merely using it to demonstrate a point.

good work dr ralph, so when convenient for you youre prepared to listen to eddy and spout his wisdom, please dont let me catch you saying he is hypocritical or has a conflict of interest then

as for our recruiting it has been ordinary but when we dont have the picks youve had over the last 10yrs i say they have this draft and this draft only to get it right or theyre out

i dont agree with cimmings or mckenna but mick obviously does

tarrantcantkick said:
good work dr ralph, so when convenient for you youre prepared to listen to eddy and spout his wisdom, please dont let me catch you saying he is hypocritical or has a conflict of interest then

Eddie is a hypocrite. Now, what are you going to do? Spank me?

Remove this Banner Ad

Peter Matera new coach at Freo?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back