Pick 1 2023 Trade value - What would it take?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure they do. But Curtin isnt rated top 3 by anyone other than North. If they want to reach go for it. So in effect pick 2 is not the pick they should be using on a KP defender.

And maybe that compelling offer for pick 1 comes along and makes it happen.

But no way they hand over the #1 ranked kid for Curtin and a 2nd round ranked player.

They trade Thomas to Essendon for their 1st ( picks may be added) North could have picks 2, 3, 8 and 16. A few combo's there to make a compelling offer.
How do you know that our recruiters rate him top 3.

Anyone that suggests that 2 and 16 is a good offer for Harley Reid should be thread banned. It's a laughable offer that would lead to WCE hanging up the phone and blocking North's number. No one is trading down from the clear number one pick in the draft to pocket a pick in the late teens.
What about hawks 3 f1 and brockman for 1,38?

Please be realistic.

Brockman's uncontacted and WCE hold the first pick in the PSD.

Pick 1 wouldn't even be in a conversation for any trade involving Brockman.
Forget Brockman. But surely you'd consider 3 + Hawthorn's F1? Obviously depends how you think the Hawks will go next year, but even if they turn things around, they'll still be bottom 6.

I'm fully expecting North to get pick 3 for McKay and I value Hawthorn's F1 around the 10 mark. So it's 4 and 10. It's closer but it's still not enough.

Please be realistic.

Brockman's uncontacted and WCE hold the first pick in the PSD.

Pick 1 wouldn't even be in a conversation for any trade involving Brockman.
It’s expedient to do it all as 1 trade if we are dealing on both topics. Unless you don’t want brockman which suits us we will deal with freo for Henry. So essentially what is wrongly valued with the trade and how would you adjust it?

Sorry if this has already been said as I CBF reading though pages and pages but my whole take on the Reid value is this (Yes - I've had 4 x -196 grapes thus far)

Reid value for trade up from 2 with 15 given as added compensation;

Pick 2 for pick 1 = (+ 483 points)
Pick 15 add for said swap incentive = (+1112 points)

So its HR for either DC/CM + 1595 points (Close to pick 8 value)

So Reid or McKercher (my choice) + close to pick 8 points value.

That's my take anyway.

Last edited:
It’s expedient to do it all as 1 trade if we are dealing on both topics. Unless you don’t want brockman which suits us we will deal with freo for Henry. So essentially what is wrongly valued with the trade and how would you adjust it?
Don't particularly care about Brockman but you're kidding yourself if you think Hawthorn have any leverage here.

Wrong thread for that particular discussion though.

Forget Brockman. But surely you'd consider 3 + Hawthorn's F1? Obviously depends how you think the Hawks will go next year, but even if they turn things around, they'll still be bottom 6.
Nope, wouldn't consider it. Reckon they jump Essendon next year for a start.

Too many variables including pick 1 in a trade for a future first with Hawthorn.

If the talent spread this year was relatively even, like last year's it'd be a whole different conversation.

That's the difference with pick 1 this year, where the top kid(available) is a clear cut above the rest.

Would certainly be an interesting conversation if Walter was in the open draft however.

Don't particularly care about Brockman but you're kidding yourself if you think Hawthorn have any leverage here.

Wrong thread for that particular discussion though.
I don’t disagree with you we didn’t do well not contracting him for 2 years we are essentially relying on the kindness of strangers. At least it’s not Peter Bell.
What about this?
3,f1,29 and brockman for 1,38,54 (happy to fiddle with those). We can downgrade from 29 and still match the McCabe bid but would need some points back if we give it up.

I don’t disagree with you we didn’t do well not contracting him for 2 years we are essentially relying on the kindness of strangers. At least it’s not Peter Bell.
What about this?
3,f1,29 and brockman for 1,38,54 (happy to fiddle with those). We can downgrade from 29 and still match the McCabe bid but would need some points back if we give it up.
Too much risk on the future first still, in my opinion.

Also, WCE supposedly have Robertson to trade for as well, so will need those later picks for him.

I get that Hawthorn supporters are disappointed to lose Brockman but if I'd suggested an OOC Petruccelle be included in a trade for pick 1 a few years ago, I'd have been laughed off the trade board.

I'd imagine a pick in the 30s gets it done for Brockman because in exposed form, he's probably worth a mid/late 2nd rounder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 and 2 are fallacies. Why must the Eagles be able to secure Curtin? For all we know McKercher and Duursma could be higher on the Eagles big board. What push has Reid made to stay in Victoria? I'm sure most potential draftees if asked would say that they would prefer to stay in their home state. It does not mean that they are flight risks.
My post was directed at neutrals and not delusional Eagle supporters who refuse to acknowledge any scenario besides retaining Pick 1. My advice is you stay away from this thread as the whole premise of it is to discuss a trade of pick 1.

My post was directed at neutrals and not delusional Eagle supporters who refuse to acknowledge any scenario besides retaining Pick 1. My advice is you stay away from this thread as the whole premise of it is to discuss a trade of pick 1.
Because assuming pick one will be traded is betting against history, which shows that it's incredibly unlikely to happen, yet people in Victoria appear to have convinced themselves that this is almost a certainty.

Tell me who're the delusional ones here?

Because assuming pick one will be traded is betting against history, which shows that it's incredibly unlikely to happen, yet people in Victoria appear to have convinced themselves that this is almost a certainty.

No one would be better served taking my advice then you, sir. Refer below:

Wasn’t it the Simpson announcement which included a statement saying pick 1 would be used to being in elite young players (plural) that kicked it off? May have been a slip of the tongue but that’s my understanding.

Long time reader, first time poster (hopefully last), but let me get this straight...

West Coast get: Curtin/McKercher, fringe defender, fringe (and out of contract) small forward
West Coast lose: Reid

Hawthorn get: Reid
Hawthorn lose: whoever at 3, someone who played 7 games this year, and an out of contract player who wants out

...is apparently something West Coast should trip over to sign on the dotted line? :think::think::think:

The entire premise of your argument is based on multiple fallacies, to refer to others as delusional is the height of hypocrisy. If you want to discuss the trading of pick 1 then come with a trade that West Coast might actually consider.

Wasn’t it the Simpson announcement which included a statement saying pick 1 would be used to being in elite young players (plural) that kicked it off? May have been a slip of the tongue but that’s my understanding.
The one that was deceptively cut short to create a misleading discussion point?

Then post a compelling offer that's worth defying history and trading pick 1 for, instead of posting SEN articles and 2 + Port's first :)
History says far more clubs should have traded pick 1, considering the crazy hype every year.

I would want to if it were me. But only for a serious deal (that will definitely come).

"Pick 1 to bring in elite talent, as well as our other picks in the draft"

This was basically the quote. Gerard didn't read the whole thing because he jizzed his pants at the thought of WCE splitting the pick that he paid no attention to the rest of the statement.

History says far more clubs should have traded pick 1, considering the crazy hype every year.

I would want to if it were me. But only for a serious deal (that will definitely come).
That's fair and you're right, more clubs definitely should consider trading it more often. I think a lot of clubs feel almost compelled to use it, due to supporter expectations after a shitty year.

See North when they drafted JHF, for example. Thankfully it looks to have worked out in the end, by picking up both Sheezel and Wardlaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back