Pick 1 2023 Trade value - What would it take?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone else see Reids best position at AFL level as not a mid?

Have noticed a lot of WCE supporters saying how he's exactly what they need in that he's a mid, but I still think his best footy had been behind the ball and deep forward...
I think the hope is for him to become Dusty. Whatever position that is.

I agree that the stats are the raw numbers yes and they don't lie from that sense. but stats are overused when assessing players. If the AA team was based on raw numbers then Sam Switkowski would've been in the team which would never happen.

Stats can certainly be overused but they shouldn't be completely ignored, they offer context which can be particularly helpful when discussing players with people whose bias makes it impossible to take anything they post seriously.

I'm also taking Viney to win a hard ball ahead of Parish but it's a pointless discussion with you given, well, it's you. You'd probably back Viney if he were opposed to 15 non-Melbourne players.

As for Switkowski and the AA team, please. Ridiculous tangent and probably doesn't help your argument as much as you think it might, given you're now advocating for a popularity contest rather than any sort of factual basis.

Stats can certainly be overused but they shouldn't be completely ignored, they offer context which can be particularly helpful when discussing players with people whose bias makes it impossible to take anything they post seriously.

I'm also taking Viney to win a hard ball ahead of Parish but it's a pointless discussion with you given, well, it's you. You'd probably back Viney if he were opposed to 15 non-Melbourne players.

As for Switkowski and the AA team, please. Ridiculous tangent and probably doesn't help your argument as much as you think it might, given you're now advocating for a popularity contest rather than any sort of factual basis.

I'm not joking regarding Switkowski. Statistically, by champion data he is considering to be elite. Better than Serong and Brayshaw etc. I'm not making this up. Yes this was last year but he was also rated very highly this year in the competitions best. So I've literally just proven that stats are stupid.

I'm not joking regarding Switkowski. Statistically, by champion data he is considering to be elite. Better than Serong and Brayshaw etc. I'm not making this up. Yes this was last year but he was also rated very highly this year in the competitions best. So I've literally just proven that stats are stupid.

Switkowski is a gun. Rightly not AA level because there's more to it than stats, but a gun regardless.

It's amazing how consistently you confuse yourself.

Have noticed a lot of WCE supporters saying how he's exactly what they need in that he's a mid, but I still think his best footy had been behind the ball and deep forward...
He's good in every third. Toby Greene like fwd, bit like Hodge in defence and Danger in the middle

Switkowski is a gun. Rightly not AA level because there's more to it than stats, but a gun regardless.

Gun is a strong word.

He is an AFL standard player. Unfortunately that is not a universal description in the league. It makes those who it applies to stand out considerably.

Could play him anywhere.

Only player I've seen with his ability to dominate across all three lines as a junior is another #1 pick in Hodge.

Like Hodge he's a real nasty competitor as well. Body permitting he will be successful wherever he plays on the footy field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the stats just showed he was AA level..but ok.
I just showed you that stats don't mean anything. Unless you think that Switkowski is indeed better than Andrew Brayshaw.

Anyway, I should take your advice and stick on topic. I think pick 1 should be split if I was wce. it avoids the go home factor. It also replenishes the list quicker. Keeping melbourne out of it, I'd split the pick if I was wce.
if im melbourne, im not offering 2 top 5 picks for Reid. (if we win Gold Coasts pick)

Gun is a strong word.

He is an AFL standard player. Unfortunately that is not a universal description in the league. It makes those who it applies to stand out considerably.

I've always been a fan, I think he's well above average. Not really the point of the discussion though, or the thread.

the stats just showed he was AA level..but ok.
I just showed you that stats don't mean anything. Unless you think that Switkowski is indeed better than Andrew Brayshaw.

Taking it back to your original statement, because you've now gone on tangents from your tangents and that's a worry because you were already confused at the first one.

Stats have a place in our game and whilst they sometimes tell a story, its not always the full story. What they do is add context to discussions, particularly when bias fan boys argue because...well that's just what they do.

That should sound familiar to you given how egregious it clearly is to you that not everyone will agree that Jack Viney comes out on top in this particular discussion.

The end.

Interesting... People should listen to this from the 6 minutes and 50 seconds onwards....

Demons doing a massive plan to get pick 1.

1st move....

trade Grundy , pick 24 and 34 to the swans for pick 11, 30 and 41.
that leaves the demons with 5, 11, 15, 30, 41 and 89.

2nd trade, trade 15, 30 and 41 to Gold coast for their pick 4.

Then trade picks 4 and 5 to the eagles for pick 1.

Interesting... People should listen to this from the 6 minutes and 50 seconds onwards....

1st move....

Don't think Eagles accept even that.

Word from a recruiter on our board is that 4 + 5 would be the starting point for a Melbourne trade. Bear in mind, that trade knocks WCE out of the top 3 prospects in the draft and there's a significant step down from pick 4 to pick 5.

If it was last years' draft, you'd probably jump at it. There's a clear difference between the top few tot he next rung down this year.

JvR is outscoring Oscar Allen who’s had several years more in the system.

I also doubt Maric has been playing on #1 defender like JvR has been.

Pffft.

So Einstein.

Which forward has a gun midfield and defence feeding them the ball?

JVR.

And your talking him up as being miles ahead of Allen and Maric based on 2023 stat's with the worse side since Fitzroy kicking it to them......sometimes.

Lol. How well would Allen go at Melbourne you think? With a gun side setting him up?

Word from a recruiter on our board is that 4 + 5 would be the starting point for a Melbourne trade. Bear in mind, that trade knocks WCE out of the top 3 prospects in the draft and there's a significant step down from pick 4 to pick 5.

If it was last years' draft, you'd probably jump at it. There's a clear difference between the top few tot he next rung down this year.
And that scenario would be less likely to happen if North get Pick 3 for McKay

1st move....

Not sure why the GC would accept. Pretty sure they don't need points this year.

They would need to throw in F1.

Word from a recruiter on our board is that 4 + 5 would be the starting point for a Melbourne trade
Agreed. With 4 + 5 being the starting point, what do you think could get it over the line? Another top 10?

Agreed. I’m confident we won’t accept that. This is likely pick 6 and 7 after Walters and McKay compo. That’s Watson and Caddy, reportedly (as that seems what we’re going on) two biggest flight risks in the draft.

1st move....

All that just for it to still come down to the GC pick, where they’ll get far better offers than that for it.

And that’s assuming we are happy with 4 and 5 in the first place, which I don’t see. 4 and 5 on paper, sure, But those picks have real potential to end up being the 7th and 8th best player in the draft depending on what happens with McKay and GC NGA players.

This is just the SEN boys scrambling to get a deal together so they can sleep at night because it’s clear North is out of the running and Melbourne is the only one left.

Agreed. With 4 + 5 being the starting point, what do you think could get it over the line? Another top 10?
Possibly. The issue is that people will think it's overs, which it would be in any other draft, but the issue with this draft is that the top 3 are far and away better than the next tier of players, that you're giving up a lot to trade back.

Then there's the fact that the first round is heavily compromised with academy & father son picks, so the further back you go you're kinda just picking through leftovers.

Then you have the top prospect, who is clearly superior to anyone else in this draft, so it makes this particular year a unique situation that the propositions that would be significant overs any other year actually feel fairly underwhelming if you actually look at the players available at later picks.

We'd be left to pick from players in positions we've just spent 2 years drafting for. They may be better long term but it wouldn't be a very balanced list strategy imo.

If North do end up getting pick 3 for McKay, I reckon Melbourne's offer probably wouldn't receive much consideration.

Not sure why the GC would accept. Pretty sure they don't need points this year.

They would need to throw in F1.
I think it's fairly clear by now that these 'experts' don't actually understand how the points system works, or consider the needs of the clubs they propose trades for, especially interstate ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back