Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
Hey guys, I have heard that the mighty Demons will take the best player available with pick 12 on Saturday, and I'm just wondering which quality players you think will be available with this pick?

I'm keen on N.Jones, is that wishful thinking?

I've got him at #12 to Melbourne actually. I think that's a really good fit for both Jones and the Dees. Him at #12 is one of the selections I really like on my board.

He'll be at 12 in the update on footydraft which will go up soon.

There is strong mail that Dale Thomas will shoot into the top 10 and perhaps one other player as well which could mean a guy like Jones is available by pick 12.

footyman said:
He'll be at 12 in the update on footydraft which will go up soon.

There is strong mail that Dale Thomas will shoot into the top 10 and perhaps one other player as well which could mean a guy like Jones is available by pick 12.

pick 12 for Jones is still a bit high for him IMO. There will be a few surprises come draft day, and there will be a couple of players that slide to 10+ that not many people would have predicted. Chances are at least one of Ryder, Ckark and Hughes will be available at 12. Jones will slide further and IMO will got at pick 19 at the earliest. I don't know who Melbourne rate, but the need for Jones is diminished somewhat with the aquisition of Pickett, and with Moloney, McLean and Sylvia as the future of the club a key forward to replace Neitz is a more urgant need IMO. Melbourne can't expect to be successfull with Johnson and Holland in the team.

macca69 said:
pick 12 for Jones is still a bit high for him IMO. There will be a few surprises come draft day, and there will be a couple of players that slide to 10+ that not many people would have predicted. Chances are at least one of Ryder, Ckark and Hughes will be available at 12. Jones will slide further and IMO will got at pick 19 at the earliest. I don't know who Melbourne rate, but the need for Jones is diminished somewhat with the aquisition of Pickett, and with Moloney, McLean and Sylvia as the future of the club a key forward to replace Neitz is a more urgant need IMO. Melbourne can't expect to be successfull with Johnson and Holland in the team.
Melbourne still need an inside mid.

I agree someone will drop outcome draft day. There are probably a few overrated, Hughes is probably overhyped and he may slide from where everyone has him at pick 11 come the real thing. Good player don't get me wrong, but I can think of a few that I'd rather have ahead.

My Top 5 for Dees pick at #12

Andrew Swallow is the guy to take at 12 if he is available he has two things the Demons midfield needs Pace to break the lines and take the ball away from the congestion and Hardness around the ball. His kick can be fixed and should not present any problems I liken his kicking action and style to Ben Cousins whose style is akward but very effective.

Other options at 12
Cleve Hughes fast leading marking forward who is an excellent kick and could be a long term FF or CHF option when Neitz departs.

Dale Thomas exciting, break the lines matchwinner who is elusive and quick, doubt he will slip out of the Top 10 but would take him in a heartbeat.

Beau Muston Quick tall midfielder who can break the lines, he has the ability to just dominate games when in the midfield and up forward. Despite his injury and the recent setback could still go Top 10 but another if he slips would have to consider him.

Darren Pfeiffer Hard at it powerful athletic utility who has some pace and is crazy brave his senior experience in the SANFL could see him play AFL in '06

Is it fair to say we'll see how much faith the club have in Newton and Dunn on draft day Ragingbull?

Ideally we took two young talls of the future last year so I wonder whether KPPs are the clubs priority this year.

We could live with a Pfeiffer, Thomas or Swallow I reckon.

Ideally Hurn and Jones with penetrating kicks suit the way Melbourne want to be playing, long and fast/direct footy.

If they do want a tall KPP my desire is for them to pick a tall backman.

footyman said:
Is it fair to say we'll see how much faith the club have in Newton and Dunn on draft day Ragingbull?

Ideally we took two young talls of the future last year so I wonder whether KPPs are the clubs priority this year.
Bate isn't rated as a tall option?

I would've thought that he'd develop as a full back.

Dunn should come good as a power forward though.

vinnie_vegas69 said:
Bate isn't rated as a tall option?

I would've thought that he'd develop as a full back.

Dunn should come good as a power forward though.
Bate is probably a more likely candidate to be a running flanker/wingman. He did go forward and kick a few goals in the VFL though and could play KPP if need be.

The other two are genuine KPPs though.

footyman said:

We could live with a Pfeiffer, Thomas or Swallow I reckon.

Ideally Hurn and Jones with penetrating kicks suit the way Melbourne want to be playing, long and fast/direct footy.

If they do want a tall KPP my desire is for them to pick a tall backman.

That's right footyman but IMO the club has a lot of faith in Dunn and Newton thats why they will target midfielders as priority one in this draft with #12.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not to forget Nick "4 to 6" Smith as a KP hope. I believe he has got through the first weeks of the pre season without sustaining an injury or coming down with an illness!

For mine the Dees have to go for pace, preferably accompanied by good disposal with Pick 12.

With the vagaries of the draft Swallow may be available but there is the doubt about his kicking. Other possibilites include Courtney Dempsey, Oakley-Nicholls, Muston and Varcoe.

footyman said:

Approx. where would these two be in this years draft,as the would be top-age of the U18.?
cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

pick 12 - Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back