Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

I do enjoy the disposal comparisons that involve Marshall when it suits the Hot Toddy mafia

When he’s totally absent and not impacting anything then all of a sudden it’s what he’s doing off the ball that counts

But apparently that doesn’t count for anybody else

It's not just getting raw disposal numbers. 3 inside 50s, 4 score involvements in a quarter, in a very low scoring game. We didn't have a player get more than 5 score involvements over the entire game.

Esava had 3 score involvements in 94% game time. Dixon had 4, 3 of them being his own shots.

Any way you'd like to spin it, Marshall did more in a quarter than Esava did over the whole game.

It's not just getting raw disposal numbers. 3 inside 50s, 4 score involvements in a quarter, in a very low scoring game. We didn't have a player get more than 5 score involvements over the entire game.

Esava had 3 score involvements in 94% game time. Dixon had 4, 3 of them being his own shots.

Any way you'd like to spin it, Marshall did more in a quarter than Esava did over the whole game.
Tonight yes you’re right but I’ll back Sav to make a bigger difference on average every day of the week over Marshall

I’m not some big Sav as a forward fan it’s more how often Todd does nothing

Started well and was looking promising however there woud have to be massive concerns for his future. That contest happens multiple times a game and if he is so prone to concussion ,its only a matter of time before hes tapped on the shoulder by the medicos. Need to identfy future tall draft options as I also have doubts over Lord and Scully.

Tonight Todd Marshalls career hangs in the balance. I honestly think he should just call time, nobody wants to see another Paddy McCartin situation where the faintest touch could cause a concussion. Thankyou for your service Todd, I'm sure we will look after you post-playing career but it's probably in both of our interests to move on from the main list. Take a year off at least and reassess.

Tonight Todd Marshalls career hangs in the balance. I honestly think he should just call time, nobody wants to see another Paddy McCartin situation where the faintest touch could cause a concussion. Thankyou for your service Todd, I'm sure we will look after you post-playing career but it's probably in both of our interests to move on from the main list. Take a year off at least and reassess.

Sadly I have to agree. Todd in concussion protocols again means the backroom bods at AFL House will be having an in depth discussion and it will not all be about Todd's well being. It will be about the AFL's position should Todd decide to take legal action sometime in the future.

For some reason Todd seems to get into a position where he has has repeated head trauma and that is not good from his perspective and does not help the team. Sad, but the writing is on the wall.

The impact that led to Marshall leaving the ground under concussion protocols was light at best.

During the game, Timmy G was quite curt basically calling his career over.

It is very, very concerning for Todd and the team.

He has a huge contract until 2029 and I hope their are provisions related to performance and injury.

And also with Dixon on his last legs, we are in desperate need of a KPF or two.

2 of those score involvements were points. Not sure that as anything to write home about.

He also managed to gift the opposition a goal with a dimwitted free kick and fumbled a golden opportunity going forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn’t look good for Todd, another innocuous looking incident resulting in a concussion. Thats quite a few in the last couple years, I remember reading somewhere that his girlfriend was worried every game that might get another one.
Possibly career ending, sad for the young man.

It is very sad for Todd. You cant play football if a small knock is likely to cause significant damage. Hopefully he is okay. Giving him a five year contract extension earlier this year seems irresponsible. I think you can now get some salary cap concessions for three years.

Tonight yes you’re right but I’ll back Sav to make a bigger difference on average every day of the week over Marshall

I’m not some big Sav as a forward fan it’s more how often Todd does nothing

Esava to make a bigger difference?

Based on what? He’s averaging well less than Todd in pretty much every category. In a down year for Todd much less if you look at Todd’s previous years. Esava hasn’t come close to Todd’s previous 2 seasons stats.

So we can safely say your assessment that esava would make a bigger difference every day of the week isn’t remotely fact based.

It’s based on how you feel.

Well done you’ve proven Todd’s marginally out performing a punchline case closed I guess?

Again, another factually untrue statement

Look at that comparison,
It isn’t remotely close. It isn’t marginal.

Esava to make a bigger difference?

Based on what? He’s averaging well less than Todd in pretty much every category.

Esava is averaging 10 disposals, 6 marks and 1 goal in his 3 games as a key forward. This is certainly not well less than Marshall this year, even accounting for the games he hasn't completed.

As people have stated, this innocuous impact that has resulted in concussion protocols probably gives us a very good indication why Todd's form and general play can be categorised as soft to pea-hearted this year.

It looks like he is worried and for good reason that he might get a big collision that could do permanent damage.

You can't play footy that way.

If the List Management Team do not have provisions related to injury, concussion and missed games in his contract, that will be very poor business as Todd's contract runs out in 2029 and we could have five years of him on the sidelines earning a handsome wage at the detriment of the team.

Esava is averaging 10 disposals, 6 marks and 1 goal in his 3 games as a key forward. This is certainly not well less than Marshall this year, even accounting for the games he hasn't completed.

Todd is averaging 1.1g 0.8 goal assists 2.2i 50s. 5.1 score involvements 0.7 contested marks (Without adjusting for games he went off early)

Esava 1g 0ga 1 i50 4.6 score involvements 1.7 contested marks (in 3 wins, including one of our biggest wins of all time)

Todd’s performing ahead of rat (who’s been decent) In a down year for him statistically.

The posters suggestion that esava outperforms Todd everyday of the week just isn’t based on reality , much less when you consider rat has never gone near Todd’s previous seasons.

Last edited:
A real shame as he started with the intent he’s been lacking.

I don’t think you could select him for a final at this point. It’s not just concussion, it feels like he’s picking up an in game injury every 2nd week.

A few months off and a healthy preseason would do him a world of good.

Todd is averaging 1.1g 0.8 goal assists 2.2i 50s. 5.1 score involvements 0.7 contested marks (Without adjusting for games he went off early)

Esava 1g 0ga 1 i50 4.6 score involvements 1.7 contested marks (in 3 wins, including one of our biggest wins of all time)

Todd’s performing ahead of rat (who’s been decent) In a down year for him statistically.

The posters suggestion that esava outperforms Todd everyday of the week just isn’t based on reality , much less when you consider rat has never gone near Todd’s previous seasons.

The reality is these days Todd starts a game and we are never sure he is going to finish it. That head injury in last night's game was caused by an incidental contact in a marking contest. At first I thought Todd had hit his head on the ground when he came down but looking at the replay this morning Todd appears to have taken a knock to the head in the marking contest.

The reality is it isn't an efficiency contest but the stark fact that Todd has a career threatening problem and Esava is our best option.

lol score involvements

A stat that you never see used for KPF's, getting wheeled out for Todd and only for Todd.

Does Tredrea and Schulz's career ever get measured in terms of score involvements? Did Butcher even?

We drafted Todd to be a goal kicking KPF. Not a link up man, not a 6 foot 6 small forward. philthy and scorcho coming up with random stats because absolutely clutching at straws to defend the indefensible.

All jokes aside, getting concussed from such innocuous impact is terrible for Todd.

I hope he is looking to his future beyond football and making the best decisions for his health.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back