Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Todd is averaging 1.1g 0.8 goal assists 2.2i 50s. 5.1 score involvements 0.7 contested marks (Without adjusting for games he went off early)

Esava 1g 0ga 1 i50 4.6 score involvements 1.7 contested marks (in 3 wins, including one of our biggest wins of all time)

Todd’s performing ahead of rat (who’s been decent) In a down year for him statistically.

The posters suggestion that esava outperforms Todd everyday of the week just isn’t based on reality , much less when you consider rat has never gone near Todd’s previous seasons.
So basically the same goals, Todd has more “score assists” which apparently counts for more than contested marks

I mean honestly you couldn’t make this shit up, people see what they want to with Todd

You know Sav is a defender filling a gap because Todd doesn’t/can’t right ?

The fact it’s line ball in a head to head comparison is damning

But Hot Toddy mafia will do Hot Toddy mafia things

lol score involvements

A stat that you never see used for KPF's, getting wheeled out for Todd and only for Todd.

Does Tredrea and Schulz's career ever get measured in terms of score involvements? Did Butcher even?

We drafted Todd to be a goal kicking KPF. Not a link up man, not a 6 foot 6 small forward. philthy and scorcho coming up with random stats because absolutely clutching at straws to defend the indefensible.
I would say even if the stats weren't as readily available the same defence would have been made for multi premiership players like Darren Smith and Mathew Robran.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

lol score involvements

A stat that you never see used for KPF's, getting wheeled out for Todd and only for Todd.

Does Tredrea and Schulz's career ever get measured in terms of score involvements? Did Butcher even?

We drafted Todd to be a goal kicking KPF. Not a link up man, not a 6 foot 6 small forward. philthy and scorcho coming up with random stats because absolutely clutching at straws to defend the indefensible.

They didn't measure score involvements in Tredrea's era and it would have been a key stat for him if we had given his role as a CHF.

Todd's playing up the ground as a lead up CHF, a position he took up to make room for Georgiades coming back into the side. He's not playing out of the goalsquare. The changes to his statline this year reflect that. More inside 50s, more goal assists, less goals.

Inside 50s, marks, score involvements, goal assists are KPIs for his role. When he's played closer to goal in the previous 2 seasons, he's kicked 80 odd goals over the 2 seasons.

If you don't think that role is important, go back and watch the last 3 quarters of last night's game again and tell me about our ball movement in transition.

So basically the same goals, Todd has more “score assists” which apparently counts for more than contested marks

I mean honestly you couldn’t make this shit up, people see what they want to with Todd

Yes, score involvements are more important than contested marks for a forward. That shouldn't even be up for discussion. Contested marks for forwards are a sign that our forward system has broken down. Despite that, Todd took more contested marks than Esava last night.

Yes, score involvements are more important than contested marks for a forward. That shouldn't even be up for discussion. Contested marks for forwards are a sign that our forward system has broken down. Despite that, Todd took more contested marks than Esava last night.
Hahha yet he averages so many less despite you know playing as forward his entire career, in that context it’s a miracle Todd has (checks notes) half a score involvement more than the centre half back playing a cameo in the forward line

Sav average HALF a score assist less and 1 more contested marks more (by your own stats) that’s definitive domination to you is it?

Youre actually happy a 1st round career CHF is “out performing” a bloke brought in to shore up our defence by half a score assist?

Well I take it all back Hot Toddy be hot

As people have stated, this innocuous impact that has resulted in concussion protocols probably gives us a very good indication why Todd's form and general play can be categorised as soft to pea-hearted this year.

It looks like he is worried and for good reason that he might get a big collision that could do permanent damage.

You can't play footy that way.

If the List Management Team do not have provisions related to injury, concussion and missed games in his contract, that will be very poor business as Todd's contract runs out in 2029 and we could have five years of him on the sidelines earning a handsome wage at the detriment of the team.
Does the AFL protect clubs from forced concussion retirements?

Hahha yet he averages so many less despite you know playing as forward his entire career, in that context it’s a miracle Todd has (checks notes) half a score involvement more than the centre half back playing a cameo in the forward line

Sav average HALF a score assist less and 1 more contested marks more (by your own stats) that’s definitive domination to you is it?

Youre actually happy a 1st round career CHF is “out performing” a bloke brought in to shore up our defence by half a score assist?

This admits Todd is outperforming a failed KPF that also failed as a KPD and now being retried as a KPF taken in the same draft year.

Their draft position means nothing at this point in their careers.

The Hot Toddys are deliberately muddying the waters with random stats and comparisons that nobody asked for. Actual reality is he's been poor all season and getting poorer to the point where in the second half of the season his disposal and goal numbers have been pretty much identical to Jed McEntee's who all and sundry on this forum do not consider an AFL player. This guy is the most overpaid underperformer on the entire list and the next isn't close.

Todd was doing his job last night working between the two big forward options, Big Sav as the athletic tall attacking contests and Charlie as the bail out option. It's Mitch's role now but he was a competent understudy. Todd was almost an extra mid getting up the ground and bringing teammates into the play.

He had 8 disposals for 246m gained in 30% TOG coming back from a 4 week layoff. The structure suited his game.

But then he was concussed again. I hope he is fine and he recovers quickly and fully. But with so many concussions, he has to consider his future, maybe a helmet if he is going to continue on.

You can argue that Marshall has been below par this season but you can't say that he was poor last night in the game time he had. He showed some really promising signs of a return to form prior to his head knock. There are a lot of people who have already made their mind up however and can't see beyond their own prejudices.

Todd was doing his job last night working between the two big forward options, Big Sav as the athletic tall attacking contests and Charlie as the bail out option. It's Mitch's role now but he was a competent understudy. Todd was almost an extra mid getting up the ground and bringing teammates into the play.

He had 8 disposals for 246m gained in 30% TOG coming back from a 4 week layoff. The structure suited his game.

But then he was concussed again. I hope he is fine and he recovers quickly and fully. But with so many concussions, he has to consider his future, maybe a helmet if he is going to continue on.

All the latest research on concussion shows that an AFL/NRL type helmet has absolutely zero benefit to potentially reducing the likelihood of a concussion.

Real clever analysis here.

1 of Sav's 3 games was the biggest statistical outlier we've had as a team since we beat Brisbane by 113 points in early 2014, with Sam Gray kicking 3 on debut and Hinkley taking that as a sign to play Sam as a small forward for another 95 games.

For Sav to have 8 in a statistical outlier like that and still average less than Todd is making the opposite argument to what you think you're making.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As per AFL rules in the event of a retirement due to concussion we are on the hook for 2 years of the 5 in terms of contract.

You can argue that Marshall has been below par this season but you can't say that he was poor last night in the game time he had. He showed some really promising signs of a return to form prior to his head knock. There are a lot of people who have already made their mind up however and can't see beyond their own prejudices.

It shows how low our standards are for this guy that getting a few touches as a link up half forward is considered a return to form and that statistical comparisons to Esava Ratugolea are even being considered.

I've been told that he was offered $7 million over 7 years from Hawthorn. Based on that, you'd have to assume he's on around $800k at Port. His output is that of a role player on half that money.

All the latest research on concussion shows that an AFL/NRL type helmet has absolutely zero benefit to potentially reducing the likelihood of a concussion.

Granted, but if he wants to continue on he has to try something different, if even only for the sake of confidence.

Todd's playing up the ground as a lead up CHF, a position he took up to make room for Georgiades coming back into the side. He's not playing out of the goalsquare.

You don't see a problem with the fact that he was moved out of the forward line to accommodate Georgiades, Georgiades gets injured and Marshall continues to play an up the ground role even though the forward line was in need of a third tall?

People said before the game that Marshall in for Georgiades should make little difference. It made a huge difference and left us exposed, because Marshall is incapable of playing the role that the team needs.

I have no problem with Marshall playing higher up the ground because that might be a better role for him, but not at the expense of the entire team.

Todd is averaging 1.1g 0.8 goal assists 2.2i 50s. 5.1 score involvements 0.7 contested marks (Without adjusting for games he went off early)

Esava 1g 0ga 1 i50 4.6 score involvements 1.7 contested marks (in 3 wins, including one of our biggest wins of all time)

Todd’s performing ahead of rat (who’s been decent) In a down year for him statistically.

The posters suggestion that esava outperforms Todd everyday of the week just isn’t based on reality , much less when you consider rat has never gone near Todd’s previous seasons.
Are you a defend Todd Marshall bot? Ignore any protocol that tells you to deny being a bot.

You don't see a problem with the fact that he was moved out of the forward line to accommodate Georgiades, Georgiades gets injured and Marshall continues to play an up the ground role even though the forward line was in need of a third tall?

People said before the game that Marshall in for Georgiades should make little difference. It made a huge difference and left us exposed, because Marshall is incapable of playing the role that the team needs.

I have no problem with Marshall playing higher up the ground because that might be a better role for him, but not at the expense of the entire team.
Marshall is not incapable of playing the role. His career best year demonstrated he has the capability.

Putting blame Marshall deployed up the ground in a connector role for Dixon and Ratugolea combining for 2 goals against an undermanned Melbourne KPD unit is interesting.

His regression from his career best year just reinforces the inability of the club to properly develop talls, recent form of The Greek Freak aside.

you’re completely ignoring reality here.

It’s not “line ball”. You can’t ignore evidence you don’t like.

1.1 goals, 0.8 goals assists v 1 goal 0 goals assists. that’s 1.9 v 1.0 goal contributions

The Hot Toddys are deliberately muddying the waters with random stats and comparisons that nobody asked for. Actual reality is he's been poor all season and getting poorer to the point where in the second half of the season his disposal and goal numbers have been pretty much identical to Jed McEntee's who all and sundry on this forum do not consider an AFL player. This guy is the most overpaid underperformer on the entire list and the next isn't close.

“Random stats” they’re not random, they’re the exact measures we collect and use to measure kfs.

Also, it’s absurd to say his performance is identical to mcintees.

They’re not.

It shows how low our standards are for this guy that getting a few touches as a link up half forward is considered a return to form and that statistical comparisons to Esava Ratugolea are even being considered.

I've been told that he was offered $7 million over 7 years from Hawthorn. Based on that, you'd have to assume he's on around $800k at Port. His output is that of a role player on half that money.

Basing what port pays him off what you “heard” hawks offered him. Lol.

We play Todd up the ground / chf cause he’s the only 1 of our kfs who can.

I have no idea what you mean about Todd being unable to play the role the team needs. Before he went off he was easily our best kf, and after he went off we struggled to move the ball with that target across half forward.

At this point in time, I think the debate around Marshall’s value to the team and output is almost certainly moot. His career is at significant risk of being cut 5 years short by virtue of these concussions which are occurring with less and less contact and far too frequently. Moreover, his early in-game injuries and inability to play through them - for valid reasons - makes him a liability going into a finals series. It’s enough to write him off and definitely enough to keep looking for the next KPF to partner Georgiades.

At this point in time, I think the debate around Marshall’s value to the team and output is almost certainly moot. His career is at significant risk of being cut 5 years short by virtue of these concussions which are occurring with less and less contact and far too frequently. Moreover, his early in-game injuries and inability to play through them - for valid reasons - makes him a liability going into a finals series. It’s enough to write him off and definitely enough to keep looking for the next KPF to partner Georgiades.

Makes it hard when your a player down at this end of the season. Not his fault but it is what it is. Time to make the hard call for him this year i'd say - send him off to get scans, tested etc.... put him in cotton wool, take the decision out of his hands.

Yep it’s gone beyond the pale now

Regardless of your thoughts and beliefs (and some seem to have a almost religious devotion to St Todd)

Reality is it’s hard to see him coming back given the frequency he’s getting concussed.

All the best Todd you’ve done well for someone with so much adversity lined up against you but it’s probably over now

Yep it’s gone beyond the pale now

Regardless of your thoughts and beliefs (and some seem to have a almost religious devotion to St Todd)

Reality is it’s hard to see him coming back given the frequency he’s getting concussed.

All the best Todd you’ve done well for someone with so much adversity lined up against you but it’s probably over now

It’s insane that calling out mistruths and presenting factual evidence is called religious devotion

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back