Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Valid question. Did the helmet help Brad Ebert?

Say what you like about philthy's Marshall bias, but at least he actually tries to back up his posts with evidence rather than just sarcasm and 'he's shit'.
See he doesn’t, he provides stats that show Marshall has managed half a score assist more than Sav despite Sav literally being a square peg in a round hole

Instead of accepting the obvious point which is Sav isn’t really a forward and Todd should
be objectively beating him in all facets of the game this was ignored and we got bogged down in details about the value of half a score assist vs contested marks

If you want actual proof Marshall is underperforming run a footy wire comparison of him Vs Jack Lukosius you know the bloke nobody here wants because he’s a flake and can’t get a game at Dimmas GC (guess who’s stats are the same)

I’m sure philthy will regale us with tales of how at Todd’s extra 0.1 score assists are vital

Keep the flag flying, Philthy.

I almost got excommunicated for giving the reality of Jed and my opposition was mainly based on rhetoric and I was attacked pretty badly but I survived.

Says the guy who keeps posting that Dixon is responsible for ruining Todd's career, when the facts clearly show he's better when Dixon is in the side.

I’ve literally never said anything like that, and the fact posters continually need to make shit up like that in order to have ammo against me is bizarre.

This board used to mock other boards for this type of shit.

Oh gees what a turd this thread is.

Todd is a good forward that has potential and ability. He hasn’t performed to the level he is capable of this year and had some struggles last year. Currently you’re picking Sav over him but for a long term career, you’re taking Todd cause the kid has vastly superior forward craft.

He won’t be Dixon, crashing and bashing and commanding a forward line. Nor is he Westhoff dropping back to clunk game saving marks. He isn’t Finlayson who can ruck too. The forward line hasn’t worked as well without Dixon, because the game plan demands forward fifty retention - that ain’t on Marshall who is a lead up and mark forward.

He is clever and creative. He can be a dead eye.

And there are grave concerns for his future, which is bloody sad and I hope he is alright. If he can get passed the concussion issues, his hip troubles are a major concern too. Hip injuries sap you of your power and agility and unsettle your balance when kicking for goal. So the key things that Todd needs to play his way are threatened by his hip injuries.

He is obviously well loved at Port. Port have long looked after him too. For those who say port can’t develop players or aren’t the club they once were, Todd is a clear example of where port has got it right.

If Todd can play on and stays at port, he’ll be a solid contributor that will make our forward line better. He’ll notch 35-55 goals a season and help create plenty more. A forward line of Todd, Mitch, Sav and Finlayson could be bloody good. And I also maintain that it’s in Todd’s and Port’s best interests to part ways and find a trade.

But enough of that. Hope you’re alright Toddy.

Oh gees what a turd this thread is.

Todd is a good forward that has potential and ability. He hasn’t performed to the level he is capable of this year and had some struggles last year. Currently you’re picking Sav over him but for a long term career, you’re taking Todd cause the kid has vastly superior forward craft.

He won’t be Dixon, crashing and bashing and commanding a forward line. Nor is he Westhoff dropping back to clunk game saving marks. He isn’t Finlayson who can ruck too. The forward line hasn’t worked as well without Dixon, because the game plan demands forward fifty retention - that ain’t on Marshall who is a lead up and mark forward.

He is clever and creative. He can be a dead eye.

And there are grave concerns for his future, which is bloody sad and I hope he is alright. If he can get passed the concussion issues, his hip troubles are a major concern too. Hip injuries sap you of your power and agility and unsettle your balance when kicking for goal. So the key things that Todd needs to play his way are threatened by his hip injuries.

He is obviously well loved at Port. Port have long looked after him too. For those who say port can’t develop players or aren’t the club they once were, Todd is a clear example of where port has got it right.

If Todd can play on and stays at port, he’ll be a solid contributor that will make our forward line better. He’ll notch 35-55 goals a season and help create plenty more. A forward line of Todd, Mitch, Sav and Finlayson could be bloody good. And I also maintain that it’s in Todd’s and Port’s best interests to part ways and find a trade.

But enough of that. Hope you’re alright Toddy.
You speak too sensibly, you don't belong to this board

I’ve literally never said anything like that, and the fact posters continually need to make shit up like that in order to have ammo against me is bizarre.

This board used to mock other boards for this type of shit.
We desperately need a premiership this year to stop us from cannibalising each other.

The boy needs to hit the weights, and eat his vitamins. He has the most elegant kick in the team, it's like watching an artist. It his physical presence is nonexistent. If he packed on the muscle, and kept that technique - he'd be a proper threat up front.

The boy needs to hit the weights, and eat his vitamins. He has the most elegant kick in the team, it's like watching an artist. It his physical presence is nonexistent. If he packed on the muscle, and kept that technique - he'd be a proper threat up front.
Muscle wouldn't hurt, but I honestly think it's more just mindset. I'd back Jase Burgoyne in a contest against plenty of footballers who would have 10kg of muscle on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Say what you like about philthy's Marshall bias, but at least he actually tries to back up his posts with evidence rather than just sarcasm and 'he's shit'.

Say what you like about Janus' Hinkley bias, but at least he actually tries to back up his posts with evidence rather than just sarcasm and 'Sack him.'

Ridiculous right?

Muscle wouldn't hurt, but I honestly think it's more just mindset. I'd back Jase Burgoyne in a contest against plenty of footballers who would have 10kg of muscle on him.

Burgoyne has a weird knack of being functionally strong despite his lack of size. I'd suggest he's an outlier, but if we base this on the premise that Marshall's issue is mindset over physicality, that in and of itself is a significant concern.

You can put on size in the weight room. Training your mind to attack the contests when you're naturally a fairly timid player, is 100x harder (if not more).

Say what you like about Janus' Hinkley bias, but at least he actually tries to back up his posts with evidence rather than just sarcasm and 'Sack him.'

Ridiculous right?
Aside from the fact that there's literally hundreds of pages worth of posts on this board of people setting out the evidence why Hinkley should be sacked, great point.

Burgoyne has a weird knack of being functionally strong despite his lack of size. I'd suggest he's an outlier, but if we base this on the premise that Marshall's issue is mindset over physicality, that in and of itself is a significant concern.

You can put on size in the weight room. Training your mind to attack the contests when you're naturally a fairly timid player, is 100x harder (if not more).
Burgoyne has old man strength. Wiry as, but he'd slap the taste out your mouth.

Yep. Part of this is simply that force = mass x acceleration meaning that your size isn't going to save you if your opponent is attacking the contest harder than you are. Marshall is too easily pushed off the ball because he doesn't attack the contest hard enough.

Agree that there is a mindset issue when it comes to contests. We saw a more contest happy Marshall in 2022, where he'd use his body to hold off a defender and mark on regular occasions, but that willingness to make body contact seems to have fallen out of his game. Maybe it's the concussions? He's never going to be a gorilla up there but he needs to be more of a presence.

See he doesn’t, he provides stats that show Marshall has managed half a score assist more than Sav despite Sav literally being a square peg in a round hole

Instead of accepting the obvious point which is Sav isn’t really a forward and Todd should
be objectively beating him in all facets of the game this was ignored and we got bogged down in details about the value of half a score assist vs contested marks

If you want actual proof Marshall is underperforming run a footy wire comparison of him Vs Jack Lukosius you know the bloke nobody here wants because he’s a flake and can’t get a game at Dimmas GC (guess who’s stats are the same)

I’m sure philthy will regale us with tales of how at Todd’s extra 0.1 score assists are vital

This is just absolute trash as usual from you in this thread.

Ratugolea spent 4 years and 50+ games at Geelong as a key forward/2nd ruck. Not a great one, but he hardly needed directions to the forward 50.

Your claim about score involvements is boosted by Ratugolea getting 8 of them in a complete statistical outlier of a game. In the other 2 games he's played forward, he got 3 in each game, which is basically bang on his average from his time at Geelong. He's not getting anywhere near Marshall's output over a season playing key forward. He barely got to Marshall's output despite playing 2.5 extra quarters against Melbourne.

This is horribly sad, i really hope it's not the end, is a very talented footballer. Clearly had his confidence shot from multiple concussions and injuries. Not sure why he is getting bagged so much, when the reasons for his performance drop off are so obvious.

He has had a lot to deal with in his career so far.

I personally hope that they try something different before throwing the towel in, could he be played as a defender or as a wingman? Key forward is probably the worst spot on the ground for someone prone to concussions.

Would a helmet help?

All the best Todd, was having a good game prior to the incident too.

I think it would be helpful if "the two sides" here stated their actual argument, as it's pointless if you don't even agree what you are arguing over.
My opinion over the years is that he's displayed excellent potential at times to be a great, goal kicking forward. I think we've banked on him fulfilling his potential to a greater degree than he has. I don't know if we haven't tried to hedge those bets or we just haven't been able to develop forwards as well as we'd like. I'm honestly not sure how hard it is to find or develop players to the standard Todd has actually reached. I'm not confident Todd will ever reach the potential many believe he has / had for many reasons, not the least of which is his susceptibility to concussion. I, like some others here, would have loved to see him play with greater aggression, but perhaps we have our answer as to why he hasn't. I really hope he's able to play on, but I REALLY hope he's able to enjoy the rest of his life no matter what that entails. He's had enough trauma.

Seems quite the innocuous incident, and the concern is that if he's getting concussed by things like that, it's probably time to consider his options.

That's the sort of incident that would occur multiple times a game, particularly when playing as a key forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back