Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Todd in 7 games has averaged 0.43 goals and GAs and 3.6 marks including 0.7 MOL a 1.7 i50 a game.
Esava in 3 games has averaged 1 goal, 0.33 GAs and 5.7 marks including 2.7 MOL and 3 i50 a game.

This wildly arbitrary set of games includes 2 games where Todd has gone off injured at qtr time and another where he was subbed off in the 3rd.

I know y'all don't like it but I actually think Marshall would make a really good defender especially when he has the playmaking skillset

He's the modern day Hoff.

Todd Marshall is more polarising than Peter Brock's Polarizer.

He's the modern day Hoff.

Just on this, I don't really think so. I think the only real similarity between them is their relatively light frames. I think Westhoff carried himself in a lazy manner but I don't think he really lacked physicality or got pushed out of marking contests like Todd does.

Todd is a much more natural key forward. Marking on the lead, kicking set shots, generating space through movement. Using his body in a one on one (people will laugh at this but Todd can protect the drop zone in a wrestle, it's his pack marking that is a weakness). He builds better chemistry both with the mids kicking to him and with his fellow forwards. He's also a much, much better kick, both for goal and in general play. I don't think Todd would play well in defence for any more than the odd cameo, it relies on holding your position in marking contests and then following up hard when the ball hits the deck which I don't think are his strengths at all.

Westhoff wasn't really a natural key forward at all in terms of style, more a tall utility. Didn't move naturally like a key forward, didn't lead very well. Held more marks because he had strong hands and a freakish ability to read the flight of the ball through the air. He wouldn't really outbody anyone he'd just sort of pluck the ball as it came down from an often unnatural position. Westy was much more versatile and could basically play anywhere on the ground, and could work himself into games by going and finding the ball. I think despite his relatively light frame Westhoff was quite strong in the contest, especially in pack situations, and I think this is why he could swing back in defence and why Todd probably wouldn't be as successful doing that.

He used to cop grief for his light frame but I think most of what stopped him from being a consistently successful forward was that he didn't really lead or present well and didn't really get how to operate in a forward line. Unfortunately we didn't really have a coach who could get the best out of him because on his day he was a nightmare matchup.

Westhoff was 100% a key forward in 2007, he had all the movement, craft, and deft little uses of his body. What happened since then I don't know but I can't sit here and read he was never a natural forward.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Westhoff was 100% a key forward in 2007, he had all the movement, craft, and deft little uses of his body. What happened since then I don't know but I can't sit here and read he was never a natural forward.

I was listening on the radio at the Mitre 10 carpark in Gawler 2007 when he kicked his 3rd goal on debut against the Hawks and instantly knew he'd be the next Tony Lockett.

He was a natural forward yes, but although 6’6 was never a key forward. Not ‘strong’ enough to play Full Forward, not ‘explosive’ enough to play CHF. He was a Flanker/Third tall, similar to how Nathan Bassett wasn’t a Key Defender.

Todd is Explosive enough to play CHF and leading patterns seem reasonably natural in a poor forward structure.

As others have said, his set shot routine looks good to the eye, when fit and healthy he has shown he is a Dead eye. Is he a CHF like Jonathon Brown or Wayne Carey, no. Can he be a Premiership CHF, more than likely.

I'm fine with him being called a natural forward, but a natural key forward? I dunno.

In 2007 the key forwards in the team were Tredrea and 178cm Brett Ebert (who had a phenomenal season, kicking 56 goals).

I think Westhoff was a 3rd tall type who played closer to goal. He was incredibly dangerous and teams didn't know how to match up on him, but I don't recall him playing as a classic key forward. He just read the play so well and got paid so little respect that he got on the end of a lot of our good play that year. Maybe i'm just remembering his more recent footy and forgetting what he was like in 07

I'm fine with him being called a natural forward, but a natural key forward? I dunno.

In 2007 the key forwards in the team were Tredrea and 178cm Brett Ebert (who had a phenomenal season, kicking 56 goals).

I think Westhoff was a 3rd tall type who played closer to goal. He was incredibly dangerous and teams didn't know how to match up on him, but I don't recall him playing as a classic key forward. He just read the play so well and got paid so little respect that he got on the end of a lot of our good play that year. Maybe i'm just remembering his more recent footy and forgetting what he was like in 07
Nah I remember him ragdolling Darren Glass when he was the premiership full back. In that season he could play out the goal square.

Also Tredders wasn't a key forward, he was the decoy that kicked goals in spite of his role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Todd is a much more natural key forward. Marking on the lead, kicking set shots, generating space through movement.
As others have said, his set shot routine looks good to the eye, when fit and healthy he has shown he is a Dead eye. Is he a CHF like Jonathon Brown or Wayne Carey, no. Can he be a Premiership CHF, more than likely.
I agree with almost everything else that was said by both posters here except for the bolded bits. A career average of 53.4% is bog average. He had a very good year in 2022 and it seems like that is what everyone including commentators seems to remember. The reality is that Dixon has a better average at 55.3% but no one is going to call him a dead eye. And before the retorts are made, Dixon kicks plenty from long range and on tight angles.

Kudos though to Todd he has at least worked on his set shot routine so he has made the effort to improve. Other forwards should take note of his efforts. He is such a confidence player who has all the natural gifts but is probably to lightly framed and just doesn't hunt the ball like most fans want a key forward to. Or gives that appearance.

What happens next for Todd I really don't know. Let him play up the ground by all means where his elite field kick can find forwards and break lines. Hopefully he can then sneak into the forward lines and kick goals without needing to crash packs etc. There is no way he is ever going to be able to drop back and read the ball in defense the way Hoff used to. He doesn't need to anyway because we now have a couple of good intercept defenders that weren't around when Hoff was playing.

I agree with almost everything else that was said by both posters here except for the bolded bits. A career average of 53.4% is bog average. He had a very good year in 2022 and it seems like that is what everyone including commentators seems to remember. The reality is that Dixon has a better average at 55.3% but no one is going to call him a dead eye. And before the retorts are made, Dixon kicks plenty from long range and on tight angles.

Kudos though to Todd he has at least worked on his set shot routine so he has made the effort to improve. Other forwards should take note of his efforts. He is such a confidence player who has all the natural gifts but is probably to lightly framed and just doesn't hunt the ball like most fans want a key forward to. Or gives that appearance.

What happens next for Todd I really don't know. Let him play up the ground by all means where his elite field kick can find forwards and break lines. Hopefully he can then sneak into the forward lines and kick goals without needing to crash packs etc. There is no way he is ever going to be able to drop back and read the ball in defense the way Hoff used to. He doesn't need to anyway because we now have a couple of good intercept defenders that weren't around when Hoff was playing.
The hip injury definitely impacted the result and now probably playing on his mind. As I said, a fit (physically and mentally) and Healthy Marshall has shown he is a dead eye.

Up to the coaches and footy department to employ the right shrink to unlock the confidence again.

Westhoff seemed to have bizarre mental block with set shots where if the game was within 5 goals either way, he just couldn't kick them at all. He was better with a snap from the boundary. I don't think it's controversial to say Todd is a better set shot, even current era Todd.

Agree that there is little similarity between Hoff and Marshall apart from their frame.

Westhoff was more than capable of taking a contested mark, but didn't have the ability to get as much separation on the lead as Marshall has. Hoff was much better at reading the play, but Marshall seems to have better vision ball in hand.

The hip injury definitely impacted the result and now probably playing on his mind. As I said, a fit (physically and mentally) and Healthy Marshall has shown he is a dead eye.

Up to the coaches and footy department to employ the right shrink to unlock the confidence again.
Marshall still only 55.7% before his injury. Average.

He has only been above average once in 2022 (top 33% Goal kicking average). Never elite (top 10%).

Dead eye applies to the likes of Larkey (65.7%), Breust(62.0%), Darling(58.3%), Stengle(62.0%), Hogan(59.5%),Darcy Fogarty(59.5%) etc.

He has only been above average once in 2022 (top 33% Goal kicking average). Never elite (top 10%).

Dead eye applies to the likes of Larkey (65.7%), Breust(62.0%), Darling(58.3%), Stengle(62.0%), Hogan(59.5%),Darcy Fogarty(59.5%) etc.
He was the most accurate kick in the AFL for a while though...

Being raised on Tredrea 55% to a Port supporter feels like 89% ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back