Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Todd in a hospital bed would've been just as useful as possibly the worst pairing of key forwards I've ever seen assembled

Rat has not kicked a goal in his last 4 games and offered nothing else.

Dixon has kicked 2 in the same time and has looked 90 last night.

Geelong players ran off of those two at all times because they knew they'd be able to cover Dixon and Rats incompetence.

What about against the SUNS which was the game I was asking about?

The answer is 0 by the way and the reason I asked was to illustrate that Marshall's floor is not higher than the floor of any of the other forwards so let's not pretend it is.
You're right, Marshall playing one bad quarter is exactly the same as Ratugolea, McEntee, Evans et al doing nothing for a solid month.

Let’s be clear, Todd doesn’t need to be the messiah to be valuable to our team.

He doesn’t need to be Jeremy Cameron or curnow.

He’s a valuable player who adds something to our team, and for years has been harshly judged by too many of our fan base.

Good kfs are incredibly hard to come by, and teams with poor kfs are incredibly frustrating to watch. Any port fan should have this burned into their brains with our history.

If Marshall played things would have been different- like all those other finals we won recently where he was in the team.

Jesus Christ, imagine windmilling your dick over this non-selection.
It's up to the selectors anyway. Clearly they didn't think he was up to the task.

To be clear I don’t want him being picked this year either. Not because he’s not important to our side and structure, he clearly is, but because I’ll be ****ed if we should risk his career right now. We lose him forever and we face a kf line with Mitch esava and lord / finny all year in 2025 which is nightmare fuel.

Put him in cotton wool, sack our coach.

If Marshall played things would have been different- like all those other finals we won recently where he was in the team.

Jesus Christ, imagine windmilling your dick over this non-selection.
It's up to the selectors anyway. Clearly they didn't think he was up to the task.

Ah, those genius selectors who picked Georgiades, Rioli and 4 low ceiling plodders as a finals forward line. Those guys.

Marshall kicked 4 goals in the 2023 finals despite the general team performance being just as bad as that Geelong performance. The idea that he'd have offered the same or less than Dixon and Ratugolea is silly, even if you have a particularly low opinion of Marshall.

FWIW I know all the talk is 'why didn't we pick todd' when it should be why did we pick two statues who clearly look past it and are incapable as forwards.

They're not in our future plans and currently can't deliver anything resembling afl level, so they should've had lines put through them never to be seen again.

Vis would've offered more

Should've played.

Dixon is cooked and Esava is crap.

couldn't score last night and we had this guy on this sidelines and deemed fit to play. Ridiculous.

He had 8 touches and 4 score involvements when he was subbed out just after quarter time against Melbourne, which is more than Ratugolea has had in any of the last 3 full games.

We'd have been better off playing Marshall and having to sub him off at half time.
I'm with you that Todd should be in (if fit)

But can't agree Ratz is the guy he should be coming in for.

Not that it means much but last night Ratz was actually creating forward movement by statless possessions and literally being a bollard.

Not that it means much but last night Ratz was actually creating forward movement by statless possessions and literally being a bollard.
I don't actually mind having one target man style big bodied KPF.

You just can't have 2. Ratugolea isn't great but as a Dixon replacement he can do a job.

A lot of debate about which talls to pick but we also wouldn't have lost anything by not playing one of our spud small forwards and picked marshall instead.

McEntee being in the team when Stewart wasn't even out there was baffling, surely they knew stewart was not playing prior to having to lodge the final team sheet?

McEntee sucks but then there is Frankie Evans too, who gets given the chance of a full game and does absolutely nothing. Narkle gets given a half of footy and does nothing.

Sinn was a risk but geez in hindsight picking him and Marshall, leaving DBJ up forward would've been by far a better choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rat has kicked 0 goals for the last 4 games.

He's like a crap taller version of mcentee.

He absolutely should be first out.

I don’t really have a problem with rat, I’m taking issue with the guys who blasted Todd’s performances for years, then hailed esava as a much better kf , which surprise surprise, has turned out to be hogshit and shown up some double standards and hypocrisy

I don’t really have a problem with rat, I’m taking issue with the guys who blasted Todd’s performances for years, then hailed esava as a much better kf , which surprise surprise, has turned out to be hogshit and shown up some double standards and hypocrisy
There are few, if any, posters who have blasted Todd and then hailed Esava as you are suggesting. Surprise surprise from you it is plain hyperbole.

There is no doubt that Esava started well but has played disappointingly in his past few matches. Yes I would have played Marshal. on Thursdayl although almost certainly at the expense of McEntee or Evans. There is no doubt however that Esava has not been helped by our general play reverting to bombing it high and long to he and Dixon instead of at least delivering it to their advantage in a contest.

speaking of double standards and hypocrisy from you and some others, compare Todd vs Esava after 50 games up forward:

1725767585098.png

Esava rucked for approx. 20% of each game, still his stats up forward were comparable in almost every case with Todd's. Yet while Todd was the developing young forward who JUST HAD to be given more and more games, Esava at the same age was is constantly referred to as the 'failed forward' while competing with spots for two of the KPFs of the 21st century.

Ch 7 replayed an incident where he copped a knee to the back of his neck from George in a marking contest. But he came back on after that. Hope he's okay.

I think last night puts to bed any of the arguments around the risk of bringing Todd into a finals game. It's just too big a risk. You can't have a bloke with such a big question mark over his head. I'm not saying he's finished. There's a lot less risk playing him in a minor round game and maybe he can string some games together and alleviate those concerns. I feel bad for the bloke with everything he's gone through but you can't say he wasn't given an opportunity. The club put a lot of faith in playing him last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #16 (2016) - Todd Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back