Player Watch Pick #16 (2020, match NGA bid) - Lachie Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

This guy is Andrew Moore with a mullet.

🤣

Paul Stewart?

My main fear with Jones is he will be a jack of all trades master of none and those types are almost always on the fringes of best 22/23

Lachie didn’t pull Coach Zero aside & insist on playing a different role for each half, of every game. The kid needs to be played in a suitable position that supports his strengths on a consistent basis. To me he looks like a natural back pocket/HBF that has the ability to play on multiple sized opponents.

He’s lacking confidence ATM, but a lot of that is derived from the part time greyhound trainer & to a lesser extent his history of soft tissue injuries. I think he’s got a very bright future.

Lachie didn’t pull Coach Zero aside & insist on playing a different role for each half, of every game. The kid needs to be played in a suitable position that supports his strengths on a consistent basis. To me he looks like a natural back pocket/HBF that has the ability to play on multiple sized opponents.

He’s lacking confidence ATM, but a lot of that is derived from the part time greyhound trainer & to a lesser extent his history of soft tissue injuries. I think he’s got a very bright future.
Id like to see him as a DiPierdomenico style wingman

He is being used as a spare parts player, and this may impact his confidence. However we whinge when kids aren’t given a run like Hayes, I’m happier playing Jones in 16 different positions than playing Dumont.

I agree he needs to settle into one position, but glad he has about 20 games under his belt. Now it’s time to give him Jonas’ Back Pocket role.

This guy is Andrew Moore with a mullet.
nah hes got more weapons then moore

moore was big bodied.. thats it, had nothing, yet another player that stayed on our list for too long probably due to the good guy factor

play the kid in defence where he starred in the sanfl. let him run in straight lines..id stick him on Rankine, has the speed and power to match

I am confident Jones will be a good AFL player for us. We need to build on his strengths. Using him to tag, in hindsight just meant we played with one less player as he played as if he had nfi - not his strength.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've said it elsewhere but it bears repeating here, Jones is being kept out of his natural position by Jonas.
I must be watching a different PAFC. Jonas takes the opposition KPFs. Jones is a small to medium running defender. It’s more Burton or DBJ that keeping him out, maybe Houston or Faz if he was to play a more attacking role.

But the point remains, he hasn’t been allowed to settle and play one role consistently to build form and confidence.

I've said it elsewhere but it bears repeating here, Jones is being kept out of his natural position by Jonas.
This is essentially it. Jonas as captain cannot be dropped, so Jones is being moved around trying to find another role.

With Burton out this week, no doubt he will end up taking that role.

In any case, I think it's good for a players development to be played in various roles (to a degree), as you learn different things. The time is now coming though for him to start settling in on a role, and I feel that somewhere in the backline with short stints through the midfield is where he should land.

I don't think you can be an AFL footballer unless you can pick up the ball cleanly in traffic. Currently he can't do that. I don't even think it matters much what position you are playing - defenders need to pick up the ball just as well as midfielders or forwards.

A 20 yr old with 22 games+ stacks of injury, hold ya ammo people , far too early to be making a definitive call either way. Still think there's a lot to like but acknowledge he has skillset deficiencies that need working on. In stock terms I recommend at this stage - hold

I do not believe Jonas is keeping Jones out of he back lines. I would hope the person replacing Jonas is a key (tall) defender. Jones is a medium defender. Looks like we are trying to get games into him.

I do not believe Jonas is keeping Jones out of he back lines. I would hope the person replacing Jonas is a key (tall) defender. Jones is a medium defender. Looks like we are trying to get games into him.
Jonas is probably holding out Pasini when fit and ready. Will be nice in time to see that small increase in height added to backs 192cm vs 188cm.

B Burton Clurey DBJ
HB Houston Allir Farrell
C Bergman Wines Duursma
HF Powell-Pepper Marshall Butters
F Fantasia Dixon Rioli
FOLL- Lycett Drew Rozee
I/C- JHF, Boak, Georgiades, Bonner
Sub- Mead

I reckon his best game in the AFL was last week as a power forward. He is still too wild as a defender IMO, where mistakes cost goals.

He sucked against Daicos! I still cant fathom how a tagging midfielder fails to register a single tackle ... Not one! He basically ran around following Daicos the entire time, and forgot he was supposed to play football! We played with one midfielder less than the opposition!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back