Player Watch Pick #16 (2020, match NGA bid) - Lachie Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon his best game in the AFL was last week as a power forward. He is still too wild as a defender IMO, where mistakes cost goals.

He sucked against Daicos! I still cant fathom how a tagging midfielder fails to register a single tackle ... Not one! He basically ran around following Daicos the entire time, and forgot he was supposed to play football! We played with one midfielder less than the opposition!
Is he any worse than dbj at mistakes

one thing he will do it have a crack, I’m not sure dbj does the same.

play the kid in defence where he starred in the sanfl. let him run in straight lines..id stick him on Rankine, has the speed and power to match
You are kidding...play him on Rankine lol.

Rankine will take him further up the ground and turn Jones inside out and then run to get behind him closer to goal.

He was clueless against Daicos. Rankine would do the same. Jones does not have the game smarts to keep up with players like that.

I've said it elsewhere but it bears repeating here, Jones is being kept out of his natural position by Jonas.
Jones has the athletic ability to take any spot in defence. He's just isn't good enough. I would be playing him over DBJ in the sweeper role but I have no faith he will actually do a better job.

He went to defence against Collingwood and immediately gets bodied by Tom Mitchell. Probably his first ever mark i50.

I don't even know where the idea he isn't good enough for defence came from. He played a handful of games, got injured. Moved up front, ran around like a headless chook, had some fumbly moments, made a few errors by foot which stand out in everyone's mind, and all of a sudden he isn't good enough for our defence.... Our defence which is so awesome and has veterans making all of the above mentioned errors.

He's a bull, with a capable enough kick. Put him back there and let him develop, there's enough nice kicks back there. Or he goes onto the growing list of players Kenny has wasted playing out of position.

I reckon his best game in the AFL was last week as a power forward. He is still too wild as a defender IMO, where mistakes cost goals.

He sucked against Daicos! I still cant fathom how a tagging midfielder fails to register a single tackle ... Not one! He basically ran around following Daicos the entire time, and forgot he was supposed to play football! We played with one midfielder less than the opposition!
Most players are going to suck against Daicos, the kid got 35 possessions against the reigning premiers too

Can Jones field kick? I don’t think you can play across half back in 2023 without elite kicking. It’s why Houston, Burton and Farrell play there, plus those three are also quite good decisions makers with the ball.

If he can’t kick he’s either back pocket lockdown (can argue whether he’d be better than DBJ) or a pressure forward. I think he was pretty accurate with his set shots vs Brisbane so I’d probably persist.

Nothing in this thread about Jones 29 March until today?

I thought his end to the year was great and that he cemented his spot as the medium defender who can play temporarily tall if required (while one of Rat, Aliir or ZT take a break on the bench). I have him ahead of Burton and DBJ as a defender.

I expect a breakout year in 2024. His ceiling is not yet fixed.

Nothing in this thread about Jones 29 March until today?

I thought his end to the year was great and that he cemented his spot as the medium defender who can play temporarily tall if required (while one of Rat, Aliir or ZT take a break on the bench). I have him ahead of Burton and DBJ as a defender.

I expect a breakout year in 2024. His ceiling is not yet fixed.

Most recent content is in the "You wish you were Lachie Jones" thread.

Toast - You wish you were Lachie Jones

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve had a flashbulb moment! I was thinking who does he remind me of athletically. Then it hit me- Bruce Light! Maybe Lachy is the mystery wing we have in store for 2024.

The noise of Sinn to half back was a little surprising because we have lost Amon and Duursma from our wings in 2 years. Even with Bergman heading there you would have thought Sinn would at least be competing for a wing spot- unless we already have our wings locked in.

Maybe Lachy’s decision making isn’t seen as good enough for defence. Show him videos of Bruce Light all preseason and see what happens.

Bruce Light on one wing (Jones) and Abernethy/Kinnear on the other (Bergman). We are heading back to the golden era.

I like him in defence. Our Brayden Maynard. Do a job defensively, provide run and elite ball use and strike some fear into opposition forwards. I think we can turn Bergman into a midfielder

I like him in defence. Our Brayden Maynard. Do a job defensively, provide run and elite ball use and strike some fear into opposition forwards. I think we can turn Bergman into a midfielder
What about his career to date has you thinking that he's capable of providing 'elite ball use'?

Easy on lads. I am not suggesting he gets tried there this season or even the season after. He may spend his career in defense, which is definitely where he should be playing for the foreseeable future. However there are plenty of players who move up into the midfield after starting in different positions.

He be the first inside bull not too dodge and weave like Rozee. Without doubt however he does have the size, the aggression, the explosiveness and may develop the close in disposal to play inside mid if we should ever find ourselves short in that position in the years ahead.

In his draft year, Lachie was the best medium defender in the sanfl. He played on speedy smalls, lanky talls and everyone in between and beat most of them. At 18 years of age.

I see him as a Gary Ayres type back pocket/half back, crushing his opponents. The long hair and Conan resemblance doesn't hurt ;). I don't mind the idea of him on a wing and have suggested that in the past but would have to see him play there to have a firm opinion on the reality vs the idea. He was drafted as a ruthless and at times brutal defender where he excelled.

And without having to play Bassettball where it seemed he was responsible for every other defender's player as well as his own (think the Carlton game where he was always chasing Tom Jonas's man and was burned by his own), he could flourish in a one-on-on defensive role.

What about his career to date has you thinking that he's capable of providing 'elite ball use'?

I've seen him execute some nice long kicks from D50 that have hit targets. His short kicking and decision making isn't always the best but I think that can improve with time. He hasn't played that many games back there yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back