Player Watch Pick #16 (2020, match NGA bid) - Lachie Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Like the power pepper and jones roles as hard bodies. Jones ruck turn was a worth while cameo. Has a bigger leap than power pepper. Both can provide that port grunt.

He was one of he guys that lifted after half time, made his presence felt. Both him and SPP bring a hardness to the half forward line that lets players like Orazio and Rioli pick up the loose ball. It worked well.
Watched him closely and like spp he brings chaos to the front half with that manic physical presence. Still a rough diamond but you can see the potential and he will only improve with more exposure at this level.

Watched him closely and like spp he brings chaos to the front half with that manic physical presence. Still a rough diamond but you can see the potential and he will only improve with more exposure at this level.
The amount of times he runs at the contest and causes a chaos ball is his strength. I know playing forward is his least favourite position but having him in the team being able to play in the middle or either end makes him a lock at this point.

I've got a lot of time for Lachie, I have no understanding of why there is a negative aura around him at the moment. He's 20 years old, and has absolutely elite physical characteristics.

He's a god damn freight train when he gets moving.

Just need him to find a home.

He puts defenders on notice when they try and exit our f50. He is the ultimate ‘Hinkleyball’ weapon in that his instance attack in ball and man causes defenders to panic and not execute their skills which leads to repeat i50’s for us. Having him and SPP on adjacent flanks is just a luxury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a lot of time for Lachie, I have no understanding of why there is a negative aura around him at the moment. He's 20 years old, and has absolutely elite physical characteristics.

He's a god damn freight train when he gets moving.

Just need him to find a home.

I can see his strengths but I just wonder where he fits into the team.

He's not skilled enough to play in the backline and there are too many better players ahead of him anyway.

Ditto for the midfield.

He seems like a decent option forward but then SPP is almost exactly the same player but better. And after that there's Fantasia, Rioli, at least 1 of Boak/Butters/Rozee rotating from the midfield at any time, maybe even Evans. Where does he fit?

Last edited:

He's not skilled enough to play in the backline and there are too many better players ahead of him anyway.

Ditto for the midfield.

He seems like a decent option forward but then SPP is almost exactly the same player but better. And after that therer's Fantasia, Rioli, at least 1 of Boak/Butters/Rozee rotating from the midfield at any time, maybe even Evans. Where does he fit?
I think midfield ultimately like he was playing in the trial games . Think how Paul Kelly was scratchy when he first came in but once his ball handling became secure he was a champion

Ditto for the midfield.

He seems like a decent option forward but then SPP is almost exactly the same player but better. And after that there's Fantasia, Rioli, at least 1 of Boak/Butters/Rozee rotating from the midfield at any time, maybe even Evans. Where does he fit?
I think his flexibility will be useful as well though. Like if someone is getting off the chain he can go back and do a more physical shutdown role, or likewise he can give pretty close attention to a Daicos type half back distributor. His marking is superior to SPP and seems a decent set shot as well-- be nice having a defensive forward that can actually hurt the other team as well. Also a unique mix of speed and physicality to throw into the centre square.

Eventually he will settle somewhere, but for now he can run around as a utility option.

Ditto for the midfield.

I'd pick him ahead of DBJ every day of the week.

I don't think he's ruled out of the midfield, he's done some really good stuff in there in the last 2 games. His ceiling is far higher than Drew's and Boak's nearly done.

I think he executes everything at a pretty high standard without really doing one thing amazingly, main issue for most seems to be he just needs to be a little cleaner with his touch. That doesn't seem insurmountable to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the thought of Josh Carr having some involvement in Lachie's development. I also think we have been spoilt of late with the likes of Rozee, Butters, Duursma etc coming in and having an immediate impact which has probably made us a little unfairly impatient with him.

SPP was like a bull in a china shop early in his career but has now refined his game and become more consistent, and I see Lachie Jones as a similar type who is already arguably a better mark and set shot kick.

I have a feeling his career will follow a similar trajectory to SPP, and as others have already suggested, with their at times manic attack on the ball they are both very capable of creating chaos for oppo defences.

With SPP and Jones we are revolutionising the pressure forward role. Big, hard bodies that make the defenders nervous over the ball. It’s great for keeping the ball locked in and opening gaps for Rioli and Fantasia. If they can bob up for a couple goals a game themselves too, then we are going to beat most teams.

I actually like the undersized, extra midfielder look. Think it developed Pep well last year and Jones in that role this year. There is a lack of fear in the role, you’re taking on a ruckman everyone expects you to lose to and then get to run around the ground opposed to a lumbering fool.

This guy is Andrew Moore with a mullet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back