Player Watch Pick #18 (2019) - Mitch Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

Time to have a crack at taking mark of the year again Mitch. Thursday night would be a good start.

Mitch is one of a number of potential match winners in our side: Georgiades, JHF, Butters, Rozee, Wines, Rioli, Dixon. Anyone of those can take the game by the scruff of the neck and turn an arm wrestle into a comfortable win- yes, even Dixon.
Dunno about Dixon but I reckon you can chuck Bergman and Drew in there.

I had to look up why this is Mitch's first finals series. I thought he had played a finals game.

2020 was his first year and he wasn't good enough. 2022 we didn't make finals. 2023 he did his ACL against Sturt at Unley Oval the weekend before ANZAC day and was out for the rest of the year.

So why did he miss the 2021 finals series?? He had kicked 32 goals from 20 games!

Rd 23 v Bulldogs at Docklands he strained his hammy and was subbed out in the 3rd quarter in the 2 pt win against the Bulldogs that secured 2nd spot.

That was Friday the 20th August and next weekend there wasn't the usual finals bye because of Covid fear and Melbourne being locked down, they wanted to get the season over and done with. They played 2 elimination finals in Launceston.

So he had that week off with injury and misses the QF win v Geelong and comes and plays the last game of the SANFL minor round against Glenelg and kicks 1.1. Once again because of the Covid affect, the SANFL went back to playing their GF (3rd Oct) the weekend after the AFL GF (25th Sept).

We brought in Fantasia and SPP (sub) for Georgi and Mayes (sub).

We had been playing 2 rucks Lycett and Ladhams for the last 6 games of the minor round and had played them together for 5 other games earlier in the year.

We beat Geelong comprehensively, doubled their score 86 v 43, and Ken makes no changes for the PF against the bulldogs 2 weeks later.

However SPP was the sub for that QF and played the next week against Glenelg in the SANFL with Mitch and retained his spot in side as the sub for the PF. In the QF we took off The Piece of String as he kicked 4 goals and didn't want to risk him pulling a hammy in the last quarter, so SPP need the run in the SANFL.

Time to have a crack at taking mark of the year again Mitch. Thursday night would be a good start.
I felt he went through a phase last season where he was just trying to take a screamer at every contest. He's been far more considered about when to fly this season, which has meant his leading has become his big weapon, and why he's done so well this season.

I felt he went through a phase last season where he was just trying to take a screamer at every contest. He's been far more considered about when to fly this season, which has meant his leading has become his big weapon, and why he's done so well this season.
It was a short phase. He only played 2 games for the A's and 2 for the B's before he did his knee. Are you thinking of 2022?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In fact, much of his early career. It was his 1,2 and 3, wood! He was just leaping for everything. His post-ACL career so far has been so much more measured, utilizing hos other weapons. I just love the fact that he is walking around with such confidence and swagger.

he is already a star of the comp, but he has sooo much further to go!

he should think himself luck he’s holding an injured Todd Marshall out

He could become our first player to kick 50+ goals in a season since Wingard in 2015; 53 goals.
Statistically Dixon would have kicked 50+ in 2020 bar the shortened games and shortened season but yeah 9 years is too long really.

Another full preseason of fitness and gym work should see his star rise even higher. Whatever he has done to correct his goalkicking yips he should not tinker with further at all.

Way too early to call him a star. He’s building nicely. Looking forward to see how he performs in the coming weeks.
I would 100% disagree. Right this minute, he could command whatever he wants in a contract, and other teams would be willing to throw whatever is required at Port to get him ... to build a forward line around him.

He is our Mr September this year.

I reckon he was our best forward last week and was probably second to Willie over 4 quarters

I said to Chewy316 during the 3/4 time break that we need to kick 5 goals to win and someone has to kick 3 of those 5 goals.

Mitch kicked 2.1 in last quarter. He kicked 3.2 from 5 marks inside 50. He only had 6 kicks and 3 handballs

And what about that smother with the back of his head in the 3rd quarter that resulted in DBJ gather and kicking the ball low thru the goals. Magical stuff.

I keep saying out loud, go to Georgiades, kick it into space for Georgi to lead into.

He now has kicked 43.26 from 19 games this year, a fantastic result after returning from an ACL.

Dont worry about playing Dixon at the SCG. Georgi and EKava will do. Press up the ground and give Georgi the whole 50m arc to lead at the ball kicker, and he will get the job done.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #18 (2019) - Mitch Georgiades

Remove this Banner Ad

Back