Toast Pick #22 Welcome to Carlton Joshua Bootsma

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like another one of those left-field masterstroke selections that gets the internet youtube draft experts upset each year. I remember Rich and Hislop being "huge misses" post draft as well. I love it. Bottom line is our recruiters have an outstanding record of unearthing talent that the non-Carlton clubs miss. His selection makes a lot of sense actually. Over the next 5-6 years, we'll have McCarthy and Watson growing into the tall KP defensive positions, and so we need a developing 190-192cm medium defender playing a Laidler or Bower role. Plus they view he has potential as a tall mid. He's more of a project player. Anyway, welcome aboard Joshua. It's a massive honour to be only one of a few players who get adding to this powerful Carlton list. We continue the tradition of having a huge collection of WA players. We probably have more than the Freagles.

:)

Fairly underwhelming result for someone fairly ignorant like me about the young talent. From a list point of view, would have liked to pick up a tall forward or inside midfielder.

Clearly he was seen as best talent available. At least he's got some real speed and skill.

Sure hope he's able to play midfield (or even forward), because we're obviously overstocked for undersized key position defender types.

Grigg - plodder and massive kick...We have O'Keeffe
Elton - see Ryder's lack of balls
Markworth - says he can't kick

Come on TG, if we picked any of those boys you wouldn't be saying that.
Good that you're defending a new draftee, but no need to attack other kids just to make a point. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Why would we pick an athlete and not a footballer?

Bootsma has football in his blood like Gibbs, Lucas, Collins, Buckley, Murphy and Waite.

His father played for Freo.

I liked the idea of Kersten, but we know what we're doing. :thumbsu:

Bootsma may be coverage for the injury prone Bower who wanted to leave.

Bower only got a year.

In a draft were the evenness over many players was so evident we should be addressing needs, we are still short of a strong midfielder and another tallish forward, one of Kersten/Murdoch or Grigg would have been better choices, Geelong managed to snare Vardy/Menzel in the middle part of the draft and may have done the same with Kersten/Murdoch, from a list management perspective Bootsma addresses nothing at all.

That argument sounds like Talia over Lucas, eh?

Here we go again.
Come on TG, if we picked any of those boys you wouldn't be saying that.
Good that you're defending a new draftee, but no need to attack other kids just to make a point. :rolleyes:
Am I supposed to give a shit about hacks who don't play for Carlton?

Only our players aren't perfect footballers who weren't overlooked by every club.

In a draft were the evenness over many players was so evident we should be addressing needs, we are still short of a strong midfielder and another tallish forward, one of Kersten/Murdoch or Grigg would have been better choices, Geelong managed to snare Vardy/Menzel in the middle part of the draft and may have done the same with Kersten/Murdoch, from a list management perspective Bootsma addresses nothing at all.

Short of a short-term tall forward (until last year's draftees develop) we don't have alot of weaknesses. We did the ready made tall forward bit with pick 44 and got one we looked at for 2 years . A versatile mid could work out well.

Looks like another one of those left-field masterstroke selections that gets the internet youtube draft experts upset each year. I remember Rich and Hislop being "huge misses" post draft as well. I love it. Bottom line is our recruiters have an outstanding record of unearthing talent that the non-Carlton clubs miss. His selection makes a lot of sense actually. Over the next 5-6 years, we'll have McCarthy and Watson growing into the tall KP defensive positions, and so we need a developing 190-192cm medium defender playing a Laidler or Bower role. Plus they view he has potential as a tall mid. He's more of a project player. Anyway, welcome aboard Joshua. It's a massive honour to be only one of a few players who get adding to this powerful Carlton list. We continue the tradition of having a huge collection of WA players. We probably have more than the Freagles.

All i can say is 74kg for a 18 year old kid that 190cm means he probably don't like lifting weights. I hope he puts on the weight and starts pumping Iron tonight and do it for 6 months every day, 5 times a week at least.

Cant believe the negative posts about BOOTSMA. Go to carltonfc.com.au and watch the cfctv clip of him.

I am very happy with the pick.

And if you want even further excitement, have a look at the cfctv of ROWE.

Great work Hughesy.

Am I supposed to give a shit about hacks who don't play for Carlton?

Only our players aren't perfect footballers who weren't overlooked by every club.

No you don't have to give a shit about them, but why bother attacking them just to dignify our selections? That's just immature.

And that last comment is unnecessary, I completely back Hughes with his selections, he knows far better than me.

Cant believe the negative posts about BOOTSMA. Go to carltonfc.com.au and watch the cfctv clip of him.

I am very happy with the pick.

And if you want even further excitement, have a look at the cfctv of ROWE.

Great work Hughesy.

Check post #62 ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice highlights package. Tall, very quick with dual sided skills, and accurate disposal. Good overhead. Good pickup. It's interesting how we view him a midfielder rather than as a defender. However we generally put our taller developing mids through a half-back apprenticeship. Going to be great seeing how we develop him over the the next few years.

Some info on this lad. Give him a chance. Looks like North Sydny & Freo were interested in him. Might turn out to be a beauty. I like the Contested Footy assessment of him as a last minute "BOLTER" in the draft.. There is a lot to like about him as a speculative pick. Here's hoping Hughes has made the right decision.

November 11: Bootsma the bolter

Western Australian defender Josh Bootsma, son of former Fremantle player Brad, has come a long way since starting the season playing country footy in Albany in the state's south.

The 190cm half-back flanker moved to Perth to play with South Fremantle's colts team in May, where his competitiveness, closing speed and rebound from defence soon brought him to the attention of AFL clubs.

Fremantle's recruiters clearly liked what they saw of Bootsma because they had a crack at claiming him under the father-son rule, but we're told he didn't meet the requirements set down for interstate clubs - despite Brad's 162 WAFL games for South Fremantle and 23 AFL matches with Fremantle.

Freo will be one of several clubs keen to secure his services at the NAB AFL Draft with some talent spotters now rating him a first-round prospect.

JOSH Bootsma could have the No. 16 hovering over his head as Fremantle's top pick at this Thursday's national draft - that's if the Dockers aren't beaten to him.

Bootsma, whose father Brad played 23 games for Fremantle in 2000 and 2001 and 163 with South Fremantle in the WAFL, has courted plenty of attention from clubs in the draft lead-up.

The most encouraging approach was from the Dockers, which attempted to snare the emerging defender through the father-son rule, only to be denied by the AFL.

The 18-year-old said the feeling was mutual with Fremantle, labelling the club his ideal home, but said any entry into the AFL would be a "dream come true''.

"I speak to (new Fremantle assistant) Peter Sumich on weekends, because his son plays in my cousin's cricket team, so I always have a chat with him," Bootsma said.

I'd like to stay here and play with Freo and try to beat dad's game."

Both North Melbourne and Sydney sent officials over to speak to Bootsma before last month's draft combine in Melbourne, however, the Swans are using their first pick of No. 21 to take Tom Mitchell under the father-son rule and do not have another pick until 43, while the Kangaroos enter the draft after the Dockers at No. 18.

Bootsma began the year in Albany before heading north to play 13 games with South Fremantle's premiership-winning colts side, averaging 12 disposals, four marks and a couple of tackles a game to be named this week in AFL talent manager Kevin Sheehan's top 30 prospects for the draft.

Despite the attention, Bootsma, who labelled his defensive pressure as a key strength, said he was more worried about simply playing good football.

"That's great, to know that you're being talked about in the top 30 players, but that really doesn't matter to me,'' he said.

"Just getting out on the field and playing the best footy that I can pushes me to go further, to be a better player.

"Moving up here halfway through the year and this coming at me was a bit of a surprise really, but I'll just take it as it comes."

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...ker-brad-bootsma/story-e6frg1xu-1226200009967

http://www.contestedfooty.com/2011/11/josh-bootsma-2011-afl-draft-prospect/

How so?

Menzel: 188 cms, 88 kgs

Kersten: 191 cms

Murdoch: 190 cms

This kid is lighter than the 2 from Geelong but don't think we've drafted him for immediate impact (that would be Rowe) but if as quick as Hughes was indicating I'm happy to wait and do the comparison in 2 years.

FFS why can't some people accept that Hughes is in a much better position to judge potential than the armchair experts on this board.

He looks like he could come on late in a final and cause damage with his disposal and pace. I'm going to pencil him in as a sub for the prelim.

What? Did I go too early?

No you don't have to give a shit about them, but why bother attacking them just to dignify our selections? That's just immature.

And that last comment is unnecessary, I completely back Hughes with his selections, he knows far better than me.
Where did I attack the other three?

I only commented with possible reasons behind our decisions to pass on Elton, Grigg and Markworth. I didn't want a bar of Grigg and Elton before the draft. There was clear mail from Brett Anderson and Quayle that Kersten would slide. Pick 34.

dont know anything about the kid but we will see if he was worthy of where he was picked

dont see why everyone is complaining about not picking up elton/kersten. hughes knew what he was doing, he didnt feel the need to recruit 2 tall forwards in the draft and rowe is ready made and thats what the blues need. dont forget we have mitchell as well.

look bootsma has a lot of upside, he can play midfiled and defense which is something thats always handy, he has room to improve as he will bulk up and plus he has an awesome name to scream at the footy

AfAgg79CEAAUH7U.jpg

:rolleyes:

Why would we pick an athlete and not a footballer?

Bootsma has football in his blood like Gibbs, Lucas, Collins, Buckley, Murphy and Waite.

His father played for Freo.

I liked the idea of Kersten, but we know what we're doing. :thumbsu:

Bootsma may be coverage for the injury prone Bower who wanted to leave.

Bower only got a year.

Those two lines says it all...

Bower only got a years extension so the club has probably approached him, given him the option of hanging about and getting his body right and getting some more games into him and then went and recruited his direct replacement.

So for 2012 I see out backline as being:
Duigan Jamison Yarren
Bower Henderson Laidler

and for 2013 I can see it being:
Duigan Jamison Yarren
Bootsma Henderson Laidler

He isnt going to be a super heavy weight CHB type player... he is going to be the complement to Laidler in being a rebounding HBF who can play tall if needed to cover a third tall in defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Pick #22 Welcome to Carlton Joshua Bootsma

Remove this Banner Ad

Back