Pick 23 - Possibilities?

Remove this Banner Ad

James Battersby: Sturt Football Club.
Half Back/Wingman
Elite ball user with great awareness. Good speed, his engine is a bit of a worry however. That should improve though.

Luke Dunstan: Woodville West Torrens
OnBall
Left Footer. Very strong and courageous at contests. Good ball winner and solid user of the Footy. Outstanding leadership skills, captaining the state U18s team this year. Can go forward and kick a goal.

Trent Dumont: Norwood Football Club
On ball
Was one of Norwoods very best in the Grand Final. Smart mover, good vision and awareness. Reminds me of Dane Swan, no attribute really sticks out, but works hard around the contests and always seems to be in the right spot.

Mitch Harvey: North Adelaide Football Club
Centre Half Forward
Big strong and raw. Very good at under age level. Strong mark and good kick. Is at least 3 seasons away from making an impact at AFL level. At 195cm is undersized to play as a second ruck. Is much more suited as a full time key position player.

I would take them in this order.

Half Back/Wingman
Elite ball user with great awareness. Good speed, his engine is a bit of a worry however. That should improve though.

OnBall
Left Footer. Very strong and courageous at contests. Good ball winner and solid user of the Footy. Outstanding leadership skills, captaining the state U18s team this year. Can go forward and kick a goal.

On ball
Was one of Norwoods very best in the Grand Final. Smart mover, good vision and awareness. Reminds me of Dane Swan, no attribute really sticks out, but works hard around the contests and always seems to be in the right spot.

Centre Half Forward
Big strong and raw. Very good at under age level. Strong mark and good kick. Is at least 3 seasons away from making an impact at AFL level. At 195cm is undersized to play as a second ruck. Is much more suited as a full time key position player.

Spot on :thumbsu:

I reckon it'll come down to one of the following 8 players. I've stolen Knightmare's writeups on them all because he's pretty damn amazing at what he does. A lot depends on how the first 22 picks pan out, but it looks like being one of these guys...

1. Blake Acres (WA – Mid/Util)Height: 188cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 07/10/1995 - projected to go earlier than 23, but has been injured of late (couldn't attend the combine) so could slip down to us.
Recruited from: West Perth
Style: David Mundy
Player comparison:
Range: 10-30
Profile: Acres is a high production player with some real versatility and the ability to play through the midfield, up forward or down back well. At the next level despite his versatility I see him as someone who will become a midfielder at the next level. Acres is all class and not only is he excellent by foot on both sides but he also has more time and space than the next guy making him hard to catch. He’s got a complete game as someone who is very capable of winning his own ball inside but then can also find the footy outside. He can hit the scoreboard as a midfield. He can push forward and take a mark. And he sticks his tackles.

2. Luke Dunstan (SA –Mid/Fwd) - questionable as to whether he is the 'type' of player we'll be looking to draft, but his talent will be tough to ignore if he's still on the board at 23 (will probably be gone though).
Height: 185cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 29/01/1995
Recruited from: Woodville-West Torrens
Style: Brad Sewell (with better ability forward of centre)
Player comparison:
Profile: Dunstan is a dominant inside midfielder with a strong body. Has future captain potential having captained SA through the u18 championships and is highly regarded for his leadership abilities. Has played plenty of senior SANFL footy and has played some strong footy. He’s a big time accumulator and a natural inside ball winner with the ability to win the clearances. He has very clean hands and that ability to be that real inside distributor with his work in close by hand as good as you’ll find really working to dish it off to those outside runners and get others involved. Not only is Dunstan an exceptional inside player but he can also swing forward, take a mark and hit the scoreboard when given the opportunity and I expect he will continue to be a very damaging player at the next level. Opinions on his kicking vary, but by position I’ve mostly been pretty happy with what he’s done not only finishing but also hitting his targets around the field. Not a particularly high level athlete with his pace below average and is more that strong bodied inside midfielder who can play right away.

3. Billy Hartung (VIC – Mid/Fwd) - blistering speed and great endurance from an outside player. tough to tell where he'll get drafted.
Height: 176cm, Weight: 71kg, DOB: 24/01/1995
Recruited from: Dandenong Stingrays
Style: Brent Harvey
Player comparison: Travis Colyer
Profile: Hartung is one of if not the elite runner of this draft. Has a 16+ beep and just goes all day. His real point of difference is his breakaway speed, Hartung breaks away from every contest and really takes on the game and any time he gets ball in hand looks to go and cover 30m through his run and carry knowing that that’s how he’s best going to put his stamp on the game. He’s also a very high production player who finds the ball so easily. Very willing tackler. Hartung is also a very clean user of the footy by both hand and foot but particularly damaging by foot with his penetration and ability to hit the scoreboard. At his size he likely always remains an outside player with some ability to be an inside receiver if looking for some breakaway from the contest but his value comes outside the contest with that rare running ability his point of difference with not only his endurance but breakaway pace also excellent.

4. James Battersby (SA – Mid/Def) - another SA lad, and a truly elite kick. will go somewhere in the 20-28 range.
Height: 177cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 7/11/1995
Recruited from: Sturt
Style: Lindsay Gilbee
Player comparison:
Range: 15-35
Profile: He is a real link up and run and carry type off a midfielder or back flank but a high production guy who finds plenty of it and uses it well. Battersby is one of the elite users of the footy in this draft class by hand and foot and he’s someone you want the ball in the hands of. He has real composure to him on a back flank just making the right decision every time even when under pressure and then hitting his target up seamlessly. Battersby is one of the few players in this draft who can really use the footy on either side by hand and foot. Not only did Battersby play strong footy through the u18 champs but he has also played some strong senior footy back in SA which will please the recruiters showing that he perform against the best young players in the country and against strong bodies.

5. Trent Dumont (SA – Mid/Def) - yet another SA lad, and this is who knightmare currently has falling to us.
Height: 185cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 30/06/1995
Recruited from: Norwood
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Dumont is a relatively strong bodied midfielder who has been played a little bit everywhere. Dumont has played plenty of senior SANFL footy and played well. He has some strength through the legs and hips which is always a great positive in a midfielder making him hard to tackle. He has the smarts to draw some free kicks. He’s just not a dominant inside ball winner or clearance player on the level of some of the other prospects. Dumont has a relatively penetrating kick and can do some damage with it when given time and space but can also turn it over at other times and try to do too much. Athletically he’s not explosive and he’s not particularly agile either but he covers the ground reasonably well and can accumulate. He’s had some injury issues this year so we probably haven’t seen him play his absolute best footy but when healthy he’s shown that he can play some excellent footy.

6. Jonathon Marsh (WA – KPF/Util) - 191cm utility with blistering pace - x-factor.
Height: 191cm, Weight: 89kg, DOB: 17/10/1995
Recruited from: East Fremantle
Style:
Player comparison: Gary Rohan
Range: 15-50
Profile: Has absolutely elite pace for a player of his size and type. Has played mostly as a key forward this year where he like no other key forward has the ability to create separation as a player simply no player can go with for pace. At ground level he’s an absolute freak with the way he follows up so quickly and picks up that ground ball so cleanly. He also is a guy who can go on long leads up the ground but then really push back hard into the forward 50 so quickly that few defenders will be able to go with him. I’m just not yet convinced that Marsh is a key forward at the next level, he plays it more in the style of a long leading half forward but he plays it well and with his pace has the ability to turn games. Marsh has also having played as a midfielder before does have some ability to go onto the ball. I’d also be very interested to see what he could do on a back flank or wing. At this stage his best position is not apparent and it’s not clear that he does find a role, but in a team where a coach can correctly utilise his unique skillset he does have the opportunity to become something really special. It’s just probably not going to be as a key forward with his marking ability poor, set shot goal kicking below average and limited interest in putting in the effort defensively. Somewhere else. Perhaps.

7. Jarman Impey (VIC – Fwd) - we lack his type.
Height: 176cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 09/07/1995
Recruited from: Murray Bushranges
Style: Matthew Stokes (quicker)
Player comparison:
Range: 20-50
Profile: Damaging forward with some weapons at his disposal. Impey has some unique athletic gifts with some real pace and agility on him. In traffic Impey really stands out because he has more time and space than anyone else and can really step through traffic easily and then breakaway. Impey when given time and space also has some real ability to break the lines. He’s also go the typical crumbing skills and the smarts to know where the ball is going, rove at the bottom of the contest and position himself in the right spots every time. What most stands out with Impey is what he does with ball in hand. Impy is also an excellent user of the footy with his footskills particularly damaging. He has the ability to hit the scoreboard and can do so easily when within range. For a small he also has some excellent strength with his ability to mark overhead excellent for a small. As with so many forwards he can go cold as the team goes cold but when he is finding the ball he’ll do damage and make those touches meaningful ones.

8. Eli Templeton (TAS – Util) - the least likely - we'll be hoping he's still there in rd 3.
Height: 182cm, Weight: 67kg, DOB: 19/08/1995
Recruited from: Burnie Dockers
Style: James Kelly
Player comparison:
Range: 20-50
Profile: Templeton is a high motor midfielder with the versatility to also play forward or back. Has a very light body but despite this has a very advanced game and has dominated throughout his junior footy with his form in the u16s particularly dominant but then has also played plenty of senior footy in Tasmania showing he can mix it with the bigger bodies. Templeton is a very clean user of the footy and uses it well by hand and foot. A real accumulator and has the ability to do some damage with a penetrating kick on him as well as his ability to hit the scoreboard. Templeton can win some of his own ball but given his light frame likely finds a role as an outside player.

Half Back/Wingman

OnBall

On ball

Centre Half Forward

I think based on Dumont's GF performance he's gone from an 15-25 pick to a 10-15 pick. A serious player and we would be stupid not to take him if he's still there.

However, being realistic I think Battersby should be there around 23 and would be the local lad I'd go for - he provides good run and what I enjoy about this kid is that for an outsider he doesn't mind the hard stuff, cracking hand skills as well. - only issues I have with him is that he tends to get beaten 1on1 quite easily - maybe Sloane could give him some pointers!

If we are targeting a non-SA lad - you'd take Cameron McCarthy or Patrick Cripps

If there was a kid to slip down to pick 23 I would be hoping it's Christian Salem. A very similar style of footy to Chad Wingard and has a cracking left peg.

Roughies - Jared Jansen, Jon Marsh or Dwayne Wilson

*Note - There's a lot of good Western Australian kids in this draft flying under the radar :)

I think based on Dumont's GF performance he's gone from an 15-25 pick to a 10-15 pick. A serious player and we would be stupid not to take him if he's still there.

However, being realistic I think Battersby should be there around 23 and would be the local lad I'd go for - he provides good run and what I enjoy about this kid is that for an outsider he doesn't mind the hard stuff, cracking hand skills as well. - only issues I have with him is that he tends to get beaten 1on1 quite easily - maybe Sloane could give him some pointers!

If we are targeting a non-SA lad - you'd take Cameron McCarthy or Patrick Cripps

If there was a kid to slip down to pick 23 I would be hoping it's Christian Salem. A very similar style of footy to Chad Wingard and has a cracking left peg.

Roughies - Jared Jansen, Jon Marsh or Dwayne Wilson

*Note - There's a lot of good Western Australian kids in this draft flying under the radar :)
Club is into Salem - if he slid to 23 they will take him. They may still be trying to upgrade to get him

Want:

JARMAN IMPEY

Height: 176cm
Weight: 78kg
Team/Club: Vic Country/Murray Bushrangers/Shepparton
Position: Small Forward/Defender
Player comparison: Steven Motlop/Alan Christiansen
Draft Range: 20-35

Player Profile

Blessed with an array of arsenal at his disposal, Indigenous prodigy Jarman Impey’s National Championships and progression through the AFL-AIS system have seen him develop into an elite player at under 18 level in 2013. Impey has a bag of tricks, but it’s his footy smarts, clean hands, goal nous, and beautiful side-step that cause onlookers to gasp when he takes hold of the football, and fittingly takes off. Impey is a very unique prospect in this year’s upcoming draft, and although he has natural pace, acceleration and agility – Impey is more than just your run-of-the-mill small forward. In a contested situation, Impey displays rare ability to possess time in traffic; he is cool, calm and finishes from the tightest of angles, and once that ball hits the ground, he sharks it with a clean one-handed pickup, and dances around opponents to create exciting and memorable goals; quite simply – Impey has a lot of Andrew Krakouer about him. Perhaps the biggest feather in Impey’s cap in 2013 was his ability to swing into defence, showing off his elite ball use from the backline, which caused many to draw comparisons with a Chris Yarran type. Roving the ball off packs, Impey’s footy smarts are unmeasured, he is a gifted footballer with above average awareness and vision, and is a smart user of the ball, complimenting his versatility as a player. Impey creates excitement off half back, running and carrying the ball, bouncing, weaving his way through a player or two, and finding a lead-up target after a 60-100m play, he is just wonderful. Albeit small in stature, Impey is rarely moved off the ball, and is ultra-strong through his hips making him evasive and equally as difficult to tackle, whilst in defence, his strong upper body means he makes tackles stick and is hard to beat one-on-one.

Strengths

Acceleration, pace, speed, good breakaway burst, elite kick rating, clean hands and terrific vision, x-factor, nous around goal, brings others into the game, can play either end of the ground, makes the impossible possible, good football IQ, strong hands, well balanced on both side of his body, has strength, good at the stoppages, strong tackler

Weaknesses

Prone to going missing in important parts of the game, and doesn’t yet win his own ball. Relies heavily on being fed the ball from packs on the outside. Needs to develop his endurance, which will see him cover more ground, get to more contests and possible grow into a Cyril Rioli type, in that he can roll through the midfield, not just off a forward or back flank.

National Championships Stats

Round 1 – 24 disposals, 7 inside 50′s and 3 goals
Round 3 – 12 disposals, 5 marks and 3 inside 50′s.
Round 5 – 16 disposals, 5 tackles, 4 inside 50’s and 2 clearances.
Averaged 16 disposals, 4 marks, 4 inside 50′s, 2 clearances, 4 tackles, 1 score assist and 1 goal across the National Championships
Averaging 18 disposals, 4 marks, 5 inside 50′s, 1 clearance, 3 tackles, 1 score assist and 1 goal per game in the TAC Cup in 2013
Honours

AFL-AIS Member 2013

From Knightmare's Phantom:

#22 GWS (via Melbourne) – Zac Jones (VIC – Def/Mid)
Height: 181cm, Weight: 74kg, DOB: 15/03/1995
Recruited from: Dandenong Stingrays
Style: Scott Burns
Player comparison:
Range: 20-40
Profile: Younger brother of Melbourne’s Nathan Jones. He’s not the same level midfielder as Nathan but has some similar traits with that same hardness and love for the contest to him but at this point is probably better suited as a defender. Jones down back can play effectively both as a rebounder and shutdown player. Jones by foot is an efficient user of the footy hitting his targets over a variety of distances and does so consistently. He is also an excellent mark for his size both 1v1 but especially coming off his man to take an intercept mark. Physically he has the strength to give with stronger players but then the pace to go with the quicker players. He also provides good run and carry and has an above average burst of speed to him. Late season Jones has also showed some midfield potential stepping into the midfield v Calder and taking over the game so it may be something he can with further time and development he does more often.

http://boundforglorynews.com/2013-draft-profile-zac-jones/

Haven't seen him play, but people are saying good things about him. Heard he picked his fairly average team up and carried them to a win in a final, probably that match againt the Cannon's. You can never have enough players who carry their team for a win. Would reflect the sort of attitude and desire he has to compete, which is a need at AFL level. Also, our recruiting department favours players with good overhead marking capabilities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Half Back/Wingman

OnBall

On ball

Centre Half Forward

Even if Battersby, Dunstan and Dumont are all gone by pick 23, I personally don't see us taking Harvey, especially considering the departure of Vince. Pretty sure a midfielder / utility with pace will be on our radar, and that we'd be looking to take a bigger bloke later in the draft. Obviously I could be wrong, but I would hazard a guess that Acres, Impey and Marsh would all be higher on the AFC's wishlist than Mitch.

Hoping that Dumont slips to us. Marsh's skill set seems interesting too. Will be interesting to see how high Freeman goes, as he's being touted at the "next Dangerfield".

Jarman impey... I'm sold.. Is the contract ready?

What's the risk this guy could turn out to be jarrhan mk2 lol

Lets not go down the Port road n recruit players/brothers with the same name.. Butcher and Westhoff.. Surely we have the cash to research into players than just looking at their names :p

Saw a fair bit of Battersby this year and would be stoked to have him at the club. Although anyone of those quick outside mids would be good to have but IMO you cant pass up elite foot skills. Then theres the Dayle Garlett question. .......

As long as we dont draft Harvey i will be happy.
Why is that?
I would have thought having Pods in the team and with him doing the 'coaching' thing, someone like Harvey would be perfect for him to mentor.
I can tell you the Crows have met with Harvey recently for a long and very productive session.
Port have met with him twice recently.

Personally I'd be very happy with Harvey or Battersby.

I'd also like to grab Riley Knight with a late pick. He will be a good player.

Why is that?
I would have thought having Pods in the team and with him doing the 'coaching' thing, someone like Harvey would be perfect for him to mentor.
I can tell you the Crows have met with Harvey recently for a long and very productive session.
Port have met with him twice recently.

Personally I'd be very happy with Harvey or Battersby.

I'd also like to grab Riley Knight with a late pick. He will be a good player.

For starters he is 3 years away at least from doing anything of note at AFL level. He'll be playing reserves the whole time.
Secondly, even in 3 years time we will still have Tex, Jenkins, LJ and Lynch. So where oes Harvey play? He cant ruck, so my guess would be either make him a CHB or reserves.
Thirldy, i have it on very good authority that he is a very selfish memememememememe type of person. Not someone we want at the club.

Battersby on the other hand, played very good SANFL Football this year, could make an impact next year, and has kicking skills on a Mitch Grigg kind of level. If not better as Battersby is two sided unlike Grigg

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 23 - Possibilities?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back